The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

43 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I've been wondering what it would cost to get back up and get Bowers? Say we take Maye at 2 and we get to picks 10-15 and Bowers is potentially still sitting there. Would our two 2nd's and one of our 3rds do it? Maybe throw in Jonathan Allen depending on the team but my guess is we'd be parting with our 2025 first to come back up. 

I would not trade back up unless it's for a top OT. 

• Like 1

My concern with Stromberg is that we had terrible center (and left guard) play this year, but the guys who drafted him still never got him in the game.

I went back to watch the one game he actually got into, the (first) debacle against the Giants. He looked okay. Not particularly good, not particularly bad. He looked a little flustered early on, settled in, never got beat too badly. He actually had a little trouble finding work — I guess the LG was schemed to do a lot of doubles, which is pretty common. 

Center is an important position. A lot of the better teams (PHI, KC, BAL, DET, etc) have made substantial investments in the position and their OL play generally reflects that. Maybe Stromberg is the guy, but I’m not holding off on center if I see a guy I like because we have Ricky Stromberg. 

• Like 2

Just now, e16bball said:

My concern with Stromberg is that we had terrible center (and left guard) play this year, but the guys who drafted him still never got him in the game.

I went back to watch the one game he actually got into, the (first) debacle against the Giants. He looked okay. Not particularly good, not particularly bad. He looked a little flustered early on, settled in, never got beat too badly. He actually had a little trouble finding work — I guess the LG was schemed to do a lot of doubles, which is pretty common. 

Center is an important position. A lot of the better teams (PHI, KC, BAL, DET, etc) have made substantial investments in the position and their OL play generally reflects that. Maybe Stromberg is the guy, but I’m not holding off on center if I see a guy I like because we have Ricky Stromberg. 

I get that but we also had a staff that stuck with Wylie the entire season. They refused to put Quan Martin and Forbes on the field and were starting David Mayo and Cody Barton at LB. I don't think we had anybody here who knew what they were doing? I mean, does the majority of this fanbase even remember Braedan Daniels was a 4th round pick here last year and is on the roster? lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Not taking a TE in last years draft was just ridiculous. I would trade Forbes for Mayer or Kincaid in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I agree with this. I really like Bowers, but…I’m not giving up most of my draft to jump back up to get him.

The trade-up I’ll be looking for is the same one you’re referencing here — does someone like Fuaga or Latham or maybe even Mims slip into the 20s? I’d have to think hard about doing a 2nd + a 3rd for one of those guys. I am not nearly as sold on the likes of Paul and Suamataia, who are the only sure bets to be there at 36 for us.

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I have to agree.  I had high hopes for stromberg, but his injury may have lost him the opportunity.  When Larsen got hurt late in season Stromberg would have been the obvious replacement but he was injured.  Now you can't really put your money on him.  We could however pair him with a vet, like a larsen and hope he steps it up.  But if we have an opportunity to grab a star center, we should take it.

The real issue is we aren't going to be able to replace all the spots on the oline.  I think RT has to be our highest priority and then LG.  

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I get that but we also had a staff that stuck with Wylie the entire season. They refused to put Quan Martin and Forbes on the field and were starting David Mayo and Cody Barton at LB. I don't think we had anybody here who knew what they were doing? I mean, does the majority of this fanbase even remember Braedan Daniels was a 4th round pick here last year and is on the roster? lol

The way people talked about Braden Daniels in training camp, I AM kinda surprised he’s still here 😂

I take your point, though. He might still have the goods. I wasn’t hugely sold on Stromberg as a prospect, and I do feel like with day 3 picks (which he basically was), you don’t plan around them unless they really pop. I don’t think he ever reached that level of forcing the team to treat him as a building block.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Not taking a TE in last years draft was just ridiculous. I would trade Forbes for Mayer or Kincaid in a heartbeat. 

I think not trading up for Broderick Jones or taking Christian Gonzalez & then having him play slot for us was the better move.

I know that Kincaid, Mayer & LaPorta had good rookie seasons & have bright futures but Logan Thomas wasn't awful compared to our slot CB play and OT play.

Edited by turtle28

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The way people talked about Braden Daniels in training camp, I AM kinda surprised he’s still here 😂

I take your point, though. He might still have the goods. I wasn’t hugely sold on Stromberg as a prospect, and I do feel like with day 3 picks (which he basically was), you don’t plan around them unless they really pop. I don’t think he ever reached that level of forcing the team to treat him as a building block.

The bottom line is they're both still mysteries for different reasons, so they can't be counted on to be an answer at any of the OL positions.

So, I’ve come around on this @ARTMONK HOF & @Slappy Mc are right, taking a C in R2 makes sense. Especially if it's a prospect that looks like he could be a pro bowl type player like the Ravens Linderbaum is.

32 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I 100% agree. You and I were pretty lock-step when it came to our preferences the past two drafts. 

Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of being able to take Bowers this year. There is just too many needs and with QB being the most likely 1st pick, we can't afford to trade away valuable picks to move up for a TE. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I 100% agree. You and I were pretty lock-step when it came to our preferences the past two drafts. 

Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of being able to take Bowers this year. There is just too many needs and with QB being the most likely 1st pick, we can't afford to trade away valuable picks to move up for a TE. 

Ben Sinnott this year would not be a bad 2nd choice to Bowers. If you want another TE in next draft it’s Colston Loveland. Another year under his belt, watch out and we will see another excellent TE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I think not trading up for Broderick Jones or taking Christian Gonzalez & then having him play slot for us was the better move.

I know that Kincaid, Mayer & LaPorta had good rookie seasons & have bright futures but Logan Thomas wasn't awful compared to our slot CB play and OT play.

Logan Thomas is done. We should've picked a TE. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

In fact, he overperformed my expectations in 2023, and that's not even a good thing. 

19 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Understood he's done but considering all the things going on with the offense, bad OL, inconsistent play from a 1st year starting QB & issues with play design/playcalling Logan had about the year I expected.

My main point though is I value OL more. Broderick Jones would've made a huge impact on our OL.

God watching Romeo Doubs makes me still believe there’s a ton in the tank for Cole Turner!!! I just don’t trust any development that was here on this staff. Cole has flashed and albeit very briefly the guy has talent. Watching so much Nevada back when they were there scouting them and Strong god I just believe there’s something in that kid that I know can play on this level. Doubs is exactly what you would have expected by this time. Turner just hasn’t been able to stay on the field and I believe it’s coaching. We never let guys sink. We just bench them. When Logan was down he made plays when Sam was pressing the ball around. We just don’t ever let players build. Maybe he never becomes a truely special blocker but the kid can make amazing catches and he’s tough.

• Like 1