Deshaun Watson

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Barry is too proud to admit he made a mistake. He took a damaged square and is trying to Ram it through a round hole because he paid 190 cents on the dollar and has invested another 4 years in that square who clearly doesn’t want to be here and never did before we paid him a quarter of a billion and most of it up front and all of it guaranteed. 

Maybe, but I think trading the farm and giving a fully GTD contract has Haslam being a meddling owner written all over it.

• Like 1

Just now, DawgX said:

Maybe, but I think trading the farm and giving a fully GTD contract has Haslam being a meddling owner written all over it.

Perhaps it was a “do whatever you have to do to land a quarterback” but through 2026 with no outs was a bad move even if it worked, not even caring about PR fallout. It clearly didn’t and here we are, just an absolute train wreck.

I get it we needed a franchise quarterback and Baker wasn’t it, but you put the seed to your house on a poker hand so that’s not a sound investment strategy.

Draft capital and cap capital on a human turd who also now sucks at football. At least Denver can cut bait in the offseason with their bad decision.

50 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I actually do buy in to the fact that Slipping' Jimmy, Berry, and Stefanski are on the same page, so I think it wasn't just a "listen to the homeless guy" move

5 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Even if it was Haslems idea part of you job is to tell your boss when they are doing something stupid

Sure, but I can tell my boss anything I want.  They can also disregard it entirely.

I’m not saying Berry is a victim, even if Haslam was the driver of that move he knew who he was signing up to work for.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sure, but I can tell my boss anything I want.  They can also disregard it entirely.

I’m not saying Berry is a victim, even if Haslam was the driver of that move he knew who he was signing up to work for.

*Barry

• Like 1

And look, if we want to talk about Watson and the trade we have to do so in context.

Our options were as follows; 

Baker.  Like, idk man.  I know we have some truthers here and I’d have rather kept Baker than traded for therapist as I’ve said repeatedly but it has nothing to do with football.  Baker is not a championship quality QB imo.

Nasty man. You take the swing for the fences on a guy who without the off the field stuff never becomes available.  It’s full of risk obviously.

Draft a dude.  We weren’t gonna be bad enough to get a top prospect, we’d have had to package most of the Deshaun picks to move up. At that point you’re highly invested in an absolute unknown, although you aren’t married to the player.

Sign a vet like Jimmy G or Carr.  See Mayfield, Baker.

Like, at some point even the detractors have to acknowledge there’s no easy way to get a franchise QB if you don’t have one.  They took a shot, it’s not looking great right now, but it wasn’t like they had a ton of other fantastic options.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

So we are just calling Watson’s time in Cleveland a failure already.

Time to calm down. KS made the right call today. It’s his throwing shoulder 

I’ve been patient but at some point I gotta see a dude who looks elite. He’s had one good game this year and it was largely a lot of check downs.

Long story short he’s not holding up his end of that contract.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And look, if we want to talk about Watson and the trade we have to do so in context.

Baker.  Like, idk man.  I know we have some truthers here and I’d have rather kept Baker than traded for therapist as I’ve said repeatedly but it has nothing to do with football.  Baker is not a championship quality QB imo.

Nasty man. You take the swing for the fences on a guy who without the off the field stuff never becomes available.  It’s full of risk obviously.

Draft a dude.  We weren’t gonna be bad enough to get a top prospect, we’d have had to package most of the Deshaun picks to move up. At that point you’re highly invested in an absolute unknown, although you aren’t married to the player.

Like, at some point even the detractors have to acknowledge there’s no easy way to get a franchise QB if you don’t have one.  They took a shot, it’s not looking great right now, but it wasn’t like they had a ton of other fantastic options.

This. We were just in a tough situation with a talented team ready to win now but would be stuck in purgatory because of the QB play. I also preferred to give Baker another year, but he hasn't exactly proven the team wrong in moving on from him.

Hopefully today's struggles are due to Watson's shoulder, but he's definitely shown more bad than good so far. Was really hoping the Tennessee game was a turning point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Devil’s advocate:

A ton of dudes drafted to playoff teams end up being really good, like Lamar or Josh Allen or Mahomes.

But yeah I understand the point. Baker was maxed here. But there’s taking a swing and then there’s playing poker and we went all in all but blind here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Devil’s advocate:

A ton of dudes drafted to playoff teams end up being really good, like Lamar or Josh Allen or Mahomes.

But yeah I understand the point. Baker was maxed here. But there’s taking a swing and then there’s playing poker and we went all in all but blind here.

I’m not sure AB or Stefanski would have felt confident they’d get 3-4 years to develop a rookie tbh.

Haslam’s itchy trigger finger is going to make people hyper focused on the now as opposed to being able to look at anything remotely long term.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Devil’s advocate:

Bills were picking top 10 when they picked Allen and KC had a good QB in Smith, but knew he wasn't a long-term answer.

Of course you can get a great QB outside the top 5-10, but there's certainly more misses than hits.

• Like 2