Random Thoughts - In season 2023

dll2000

38 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

👀

Per Hoge and Jahns Briggs and Urlacher both said Sanborn has out played Edmunds.

Not sure if you will have heard it yet on that podcast but the stuff at the end about the NFL insiders basically saying the franchise hasn't given up on Fields and understand they don't have the best environment to drop a rookie into given the talent we have...they then made a great point that is what Carolina has done with Young...then made an even better point that when KC drafted Mahomes they already had one of the better offences in the NFL with Alex Smith coming off a career year...drafting a QB early from a position of strength rather that of weakness is a massive advantage in developing young guys...

These next seven games really are going to be so definitive for this franchise's long term fortunes...one thing is for sure...no one should want Fields not to be great.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Not sure if you will have heard it yet on that podcast but the stuff at the end about the NFL insiders basically saying the franchise hasn't given up on Fields and understand they don't have the best environment to drop a rookie into given the talent we have...they then made a great point that is what Carolina has done with Young...then made an even better point that when KC drafted Mahomes they already had one of the better offences in the NFL with Alex Smith coming off a career year...drafting a QB early from a position of strength rather that of weakness is a massive advantage in developing young guys...

These next seven games really are going to be so definitive for this franchise's long term fortunes...one thing is for sure...no one should want Fields not to be great.

Here's my question though. Say they take Harrison and Fashanu. Say they go 6-11 next year and Fields still looks the same. Now what?

You aren't picking high enough for QB1 or QB2 in 2025. Besides that, the 2025 class right now seems pretty crappy at the moment.

If Poles thinks 2024 is the last time they're picking top 5, now is the time for a QB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Here's my question though. Say they take Harrison and Fashanu. Say they go 6-11 next year and Fields still looks the same. Now what?

You aren't picking high enough for QB1 or QB2 in 2025. Besides that, the 2025 class right now seems pretty crappy at the moment.

If Poles thinks 2024 is the last time they're picking top 5, now is the time for a QB.

In that scenario, you've presumably added two difference makers to the team. If Fields isn't it, and we have the rest of the pieces in place, I don't think anyone would bat an eye at trading up in the 2024 draft like we did for Fields or like KC did for Mahomes.

Edited by chisoxguy7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

In that scenario, you've presumably added two difference makers to the team. If Fields isn't it, and we have the rest of the pieces in place, I don't think anyone would bat an eye at trading up in the 2024 draft like we did for Fields or like KC did for Mahomes.

Assuming you mean 2025, sure that's a scenario and while a lot can change in 18 months, like I mentioned the 2025 class looks ****ty at the moment

Edited by beardown3231

12 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Comparing the Bears situation to CAR makes no sense IMO.

The Bears have enough cap space there would be ZERO reason to go into 2024 with an offense with Carolina's talent. Hell they have way more talent than that right now even with two bums like Whitehair and Patrick. I mean look at their depth chart compared to the Bears and where would you take a CAR guy? Bozeman over our C, sure. But he's looked crappy too so that isnt even a major upgrade. But at RB, WR1, WR2, TE all OL except C goes to CHI. Hell Borom could probably start at 2 or 3 spots there.

There would be ZERO reason to fail to upgrade over Whitehair/Patrick, and Mooney is talented but he and Fields simply fail to connect enough to be worth re-signing. Let him leave CHI and have a fighting chance to be a top WR2. But make a signing or two and pots tially draft a WR high.

So thr comparison to CAR'S situation is as far apart as Mahomes in his, if not further.

8 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Assuming you mean 2025, sure that's a scenario and while a lot can change in 18 months, like I mentioned the 2025 class looks ****ty at the moment

I also hate the idea of being able to get Stroud in one draft with a single pick, then having either Williams or Maye available for a single pick, then turning around in 2025 only to hand over a haul to grab a seemingly lesser QB.

I'd rather draft and stash him for a year first. But not with a dead fish coaching staff, move on. Fields doesn't want to play after drafting his replacement? Fine, get your agent to find a deal worth accepting. Holding out won't help him, he is trying to show he's worth competing for a starting spot, he isn't an established starting level QB that can hold out and them be traded for and given a starting gig.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think when we do mocks we should state if it is personal desires or anticipating/predicting what Poles or Bears would or might do.

All mine are my own desires. I tried to figure out what the GMs would do and constantly failed so I use to put that disclaimer in. Plus it makes it almost feel like a competition if my drafts/mocks turn out better than the actual GM. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think when we do mocks we should state if it is personal desires or anticipating/predicting what Poles or Bears would or might do.

I think the problem with that is there are just so many variables right now...

Flus stays with Fields as QB

Flus stays with a new rookie QB

Flus goes but Fields stays

Flus goes and we get a new rookie QB

That's your 4 basic concepts...then...

Ben Johnson

Jim Harbaugh

Someone else

Then...

Fields

Maye

Williams

Then...

Harrison Jr

Fashanu

Bowers

Trade Down

Then...

Get proper wild and fire Poles as well...

Just so many really valid options this year 😂

• Like 1