Random Thoughts - In season 2023

dll2000

Just now, dll2000 said:

Agreed

Well agreed for draft pick.  But he doesn’t need to play out this world to supplant Fields.  He just needs to play well. 

Remember these coaches are in NFL and could be coaching for their jobs this year.   If Bagent is crossing goal line on regular that will be good enough.  

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Well agreed for draft pick.  But he doesn’t need to play out this world to supplant Fields.  He just needs to play well. 

Remember these coaches are in NFL and could be coaching for their jobs this year.   If Bagent is crossing goal line on regular that will be good enough.  

First: I kind of hate this scenario

Second:  (because that horse just twitched I swear)  This is reason 3000 why it's better to have coaches/GM selecting their own QB and being responsible for their development and success.  If we get the "backup bounce" and Bagent wins a couple games until defenses prepare for him it could both play us out of a higher Bears pick, and-please no-secure Ebgibflon another year.  Neither of those would be good for the Bears long term.  The upside of that scenario would be something like,  Bagent plays fast and decisive and we realize he's an NFL starter, Getsy's offense clicks now that he has the right QB to run it.  I would definitely say of those two scenario's, playing "up" to pick 6 and then firing everyone in 2024 is more likely.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

First: I kind of hate this scenario

Second:  (because that horse just twitched I swear)  This is reason 3000 why it's better to have coaches/GM selecting their own QB and being responsible for their development and success.  If we get the "backup bounce" and Bagent wins a couple games until defenses prepare for him it could both play us out of a higher Bears pick, and-please no-secure Ebgibflon another year.  Neither of those would be good for the Bears long term.  The upside of that scenario would be something like,  Bagent plays fast and decisive and we realize he's an NFL starter, Getsy's offense clicks now that he has the right QB to run it.  I would definitely say of those two scenario's, playing "up" to pick 6 and then firing everyone in 2024 is more likely.  

I guess we'll see.

Despite anything I said, most likely outcome is he mostly stinks, not necessarily because he actually stinks but because he hasn't had sufficient offseason reps and he is still a rookie even if he got 100% of snaps and because O line is in disarray again.

Heck most likely outcome if we were playing the number 1 overall pick on this team is he would stink this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I guess we'll see.

Despite anything I said, most likely outcome is he mostly stinks, not necessarily because he actually stinks but because he hasn't had sufficient offseason reps and he is still a rookie even if he got 100% of snaps and because O line is in disarray again.

Heck most likely outcome if we were playing the number 1 overall pick on this team is he would stink this year.

The number 1 overall pick does stink this year.  

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Williams is twice the prospect Young is

Good. 

Right now I am incredibly disappointed in Fields, I was feeling really good after previous two games performance.

Depressing he regressed last game and then got hurt.  

Such a yo-yo ride.  Because Wash game was good.  

Everyone knew defensive game plan was going to be and it was like Bears were shocked by it or QB seemed to be in any event.   

Not sure who to blame not being in practices and meetings.

Ultimately Fields has to take responsibility though.   Manning pretty much ran his own offensive practices and made demands of his coaches. 

I understand Manning is an outlier.  But if we get to practice and I am not seeing a scout look of cover 0 blitzes and a game plan to match, I am having words with my coach.

I just heard an interview of a center that worked with Manning a month or so ago.  O line pros or something like that.   He said if you came in for a rep and didn't know the audibles for that day Manning kicked you out of practice.  If you had two bad snaps, he kicked you out of practice.  Etc.

You make a mistake.  He just would calmly say get, "Get me a new f'n center in."  And a new guy would come in and you had to go.

• Like 1

Good. 

Right now I am incredibly disappointed in Fields, I was feeling really good after previous two games performance.

Depressing he regressed last game and then got hurt.  

Such a yo-yo ride.  Because Wash game was good.  

Everyone knew defensive game plan was going to be and it was like Bears were shocked by it or QB seemed to be in any event.   

Not sure who to blame not being in practices and meetings.

Ultimately Fields has to take responsibility though.   Manning pretty much ran his own offensive practices and made demands of his coaches. 

I understand Manning is an outlier.  But if we get to practice and I am not seeing a scout look of cover 0 blitzes and a game plan to match, I am having words with my coach.

I just heard an interview of a center that worked with Manning a month or so ago.  O line pros or something like that.   He said if you came in for a rep and didn't know the audibles for that day Manning kicked you out of practice.  If you had two bad snaps, he kicked you out of practice.  Etc.

You make a mistake.  He just would calmly say get, "Get me a new f'n center in."  And a new guy would come in and you had to go.

Yep. Fields still has some big drawbacks that show up at bad times.  There's also enough plays that just look broken or wildly inappropriate that you can make excuses for him all you want. This is not a good situation to be in where anyone can make a great argument for the QB letting down the playcalling or vice versa.  This team also looks sloppier than than they did last year which is bizarre. The plan for Minnesota was also super bizarre;  like I know maybe a quarter of what the average poster here knows about football, and I knew they were going to blitz Fields all day and they should have a plan to beat it.  I watched the entire cursed game, and I still don't think I get what the plan was, or how it fitted into what this team is good/bad at. 

Super likely Fields is gone at years end or before, and I wish him luck.  If they bring back the coaches they're counting on what exactly being better? The hope here is that Warren is actually involved and would start over, as with the Bears draft capital, attractiveness of Chicago, etc you can hopefully have your pick of GM and HC to at least try and see if the next guys are better vs hoping this staff gets better once they get another QB. 

• Like 1

In case you're curious about which Bears head coach previously had the worst record,  here is a lovely portrait of Abe Gibron. My dad, who was about the most polite easy going guy you could meet, would get super pissed if anyone ever said anything about the Bears was "the worst" and would bring up Abe Gibron as the low that could not be surpassed.  Honestly the below clip makes me think he's a lot cooler than I was brought up to believe, and also that he would fit right in on the Facebook comments section. 

Edited by BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW

I sometimes listen or read other fan bases forums (not just on this site) and on twitter after losses.  

One thing everyone does is get really pissed off at whatever the coach says.  

There is just nothing you can say when you are losing games to appease people.  It all gets spun to negative.  

Conversely during a winning streak or if you have a good record you can say anything. It all gets spun to positive.  

Amazing how same guy can be both a genius or a moron depending on season. 

• Like 1

This is why I don't bash Jenkins.  Jenkins don't grow on trees.

Line is just different when is in there.  He is so physical.   (Forget that it is PFF).  Jenkins plays really well when he plays at G and is relatively healthy.

That is a major piece of this though...

Not to mention he hasnt always been the most dependable between the ears in his career either. 

If we were to ever actually pay him, we better be EXTREMLY confident in our 6th OL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

That is a major piece of this though...

Not to mention he hasnt always been the most dependable between the ears in his career either. 

If we were to ever actually pay him, we better be EXTREMLY confident in our 6th OL

Granted.

Everyone is susceptible to injuries though in NFL.  Look how many guys we have out.   I think he gets an unfair bad rap on injuries. 

Also he has been jerked around quite a bit with all position changes.  I would be pissed too.

But I think it is also likely he is a bit odd.

I also think Bears let wide spread rumors about players on social media go unanswered too much.  You don't have to address every bit of nonsense, but once things reach a certain level you risk whatever rumor being forever ingrained in fans minds as a possible truth.

I also think Bears let wide spread rumors about players on social media go unanswered too much.  You don't have to address every bit of nonsense, but once things reach a certain level you risk whatever rumor being forever ingrained in fans minds as a possible truth.

They did this with Nate Davis and Alan Williams also, the staff could do a lot to shut down the media/fan rumors.

• Like 1

Holy ****. My wife, normally the smart one, made a deal with my daughter that straight A report cards twice in a row equals a lizard, and now I am the one learning about to care for a 6" lizard that costs $200 and needs more lamps than the United Center and somehow needs a better diet than I get. ****s sake people. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Holy ****. My wife, normally the smart one, made a deal with my daughter that straight A report cards twice in a row equals a lizard, and now I am the one learning about to care for a 6" lizard that costs $200 and needs more lamps than the United Center and somehow needs a better diet than I get. ****s sake people. 

We had a smaller bearded dragon when my kids were little. Easy to care for, pretty friendly, and never bit the kids. He did whip me with his tail once, scared the piss out of me since I was sleeping. Lol.  Just ate crickets and meal worms, so it wasn't expensive. The initial set up I think cost like $150 but you can always look on Facebook Marketplace or wherever to get deals.