Random Thoughts - In season 2023

dll2000

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think Poles is safe whatever happens this year...

We badly need a proper HC cause Flus just ain't it...when you can't take accountability for your own staff then what are you take accountability for...imagine Mike Tomlin had just fired 2 coaches in the space of 6 weeks...do you think he would be acting the same way as Flus? Not a chance IMO.

I said a long time ago I thought this was going to be a Pace/Fox/Nagy deal. Fox gets to be the whipping boy for the org as it resets its roster and then Ryan gets to pick his shiny new HC. Poles might have had to remind Warren that was the case  lol 

Hopefully Poles and Warren don't **** it up by picking another Nagy. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I wonder if Poles has already had to have a private discussion with Warren or not, Flubby and Co were his guys, not Warren's. 

As always with the Bears: the blame lies everywhere.  Flus was one of three that were suggested to Poles at the time of his hire.  If it seems idiotic,  that's because it is, if it seems familar, ditto. 

A bit worried that the Bears have already decided Poles is safe no matter what, as if Warren and George had decided he was gone I imagine they don't let him make that oddly timed trade yesterday.  In fact, he may have seen that trade as a litmus for seeing if he was expected back.  That would be a truly Bearsy story to come out later:  GM attempts to trade for player thinkning management will step in since it's weird to give a 2 for an impending FA in a waster year,  gets away with and is confused. 

The Bears have found many ways to deliver similar results, but the constant has been out of rhythm hirings and draftings of important players, and yesterday may have been the sign that they're setting up for that again, either by keeping Poles and firing the coaches or (hurl) keeping everyone and just seeing if they can develop a high draft QB 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

As always with the Bears: the blame lies everywhere.  Flus was one of three that were suggested to Poles at the time of his hire.  If it seems idiotic,  that's because it is, if it seems familar, ditto. 

A bit worried that the Bears have already decided Poles is safe no matter what, as if Warren and George had decided he was gone I imagine they don't let him make that oddly timed trade yesterday.  In fact, he may have seen that trade as a litmus for seeing if he was expected back.  That would be a truly Bearsy story to come out later:  GM attempts to trade for player thinkning management will step in since it's weird to give a 2 for an impending FA in a waster year,  gets away with and is confused. 

The Bears have found many ways to deliver similar results, but the constant has been out of rhythm hirings and draftings of important players, and yesterday may have been the sign that they're setting up for that again, either by keeping Poles and firing the coaches or (hurl) keeping everyone and just seeing if they can develop a high draft QB 

I think Poles will be safe as well. While purely headcannon, I do believe that Poles gave a structured idea of a longer rebuild to George and was granted permission to hire a second coach if/when Flubby was no longer useful. He has served his purpose, and I think Warren was probably given this information by George and Poles when he was taking the job. 

Bear will probably plug and play again like you mentioned. Hopefully at least this time the GM and offensive HC agree on the QB and he actually is tied to that QB's success. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I think Poles will be safe as well. While purely headcannon, I do believe that Poles gave a structured idea of a longer rebuild to George and was granted permission to hire a second coach if/when Flubby was no longer useful. He has served his purpose, and I think Warren was probably given this information by George and Poles when he was taking the job. 

Bear will probably plug and play again like you mentioned. Hopefully at least this time the GM and offensive HC agree on the QB and he actually is tied to that QB's success. 

If they just improve one positional hire each 2-3 year cycle they'll be doing it the normal, accepted, sensible way by no later than 2036, so maybe 2038 they'll be good?

Kind of crazy thing about this year is this has been the easiest schedule I can remember the Bears ever having to this point.

We are playing mostly terrible teams.  And we are still often more terrible.  LOL

To be fair they have been dealing with a lot of stuff and a lot of key injuries that would be hard for anyone. 

I think it was pretty survivable though if they more aggressively went after a viable center and edge early in offseason.

Consistent blocking/snapping and lack of defensive pass rush have been main issues.  Those things are kind of important.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I love doing mock drafts were I get both Marvin Harrison Jr. and Brock Bowers.  

I haven't even watched them play this year.  Just from last year scouting.

I think this year more than ever there is just so many variables...

Will Poles stick?

Will Flus stick?

Will Getsy stick?

Who could be a whole new coaching staff?

Does Fields stick at QB?

Does Braxton stick at LT?

Considering of the top 5 prospects two are QBs and one is a LT followed by like you mention two of the best WR & TE prospects of all time it's so difficult to figure out what we do...IRL it's one of the reasons we need QB1 & Braxton back on the field as quickly as possible.

18 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

we need QB1 & Braxton back on the field as quickly as possible.

This is the biggest thing for the rest of the season for me, above all else. Does JF1 look like the guy who played DEN and WSH, or MN and KC? Does BJ70 continue to develop and is he going to be good enough to not draft a guy in the top 10?

We're gonna have 2 top 10 picks this year. The top 10 is shaping up so far to be 2 QBs, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 Edge, 3 OT plus 2 more. If 1 and 70 play to the point where we don't have pick 1 or 2 and it costs to much to move up, do we go weapons at WR/TE, add an edge to play with Sweat? These last 9 games are going to be HUGE for the future of this team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

This is the biggest thing for the rest of the season for me, above all else. Does JF1 look like the guy who played DEN and WSH, or MN and KC? Does BJ70 continue to develop and is he going to be good enough to not draft a guy in the top 10?

We're gonna have 2 top 10 picks this year. The top 10 is shaping up so far to be 2 QBs, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 Edge, 3 OT plus 2 more. If 1 and 70 play to the point where we don't have pick 1 or 2 and it costs to much to move up, do we go weapons at WR/TE, add an edge to play with Sweat? These last 9 games are going to be HUGE for the future of this team.

Also matters how we interpret the results, Fields looked good against bad defenses, and the defense started showing tons of improvement against flailing offenses. Not sure how you score Vikings. Also complicating things are we've had some bizarre/terrible game plans (GB, TB, Vikings) and some surprisingly good ones (raiders, commanders) I've felt a bit like a yo-yo following the wins and losses but I think towards the end if the season you can weight them properly once we know what these other teams are really all about. 

Jack Sanborn quietly had a really good game overall on a quick watch on condensed.  

He made some mistakes.  But he was noticeably around ball a lot.

This is a good football player.   We really didn't need to attack LB position in offseason as aggressively as we did.