Random Thoughts - In season 2023

dll2000

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

Free Agents in 2024 (guys who have contracts ending after this year)

Brian Burns

Chase Young

Montez Sweat

Danielle Hunter

Rashan Gary

Josh Allen

I don't expect most of those guys to actually hit the open market, but we need to find a way to get one of them.

I think I'd once again cream myself if they signed Gary or Sweat. Young would be a decent pick up if the money was right.

Brian Burns - 0% chance

Chase Young - our next Gaines Adams (player)

Montez Sweat - staying home

Danielle Hunter - maybe

Rashan Gary - maybe. They have $20m projected in cap 

Josh Allen - a tad overhyped imo. Jags have cap and may retain him 

I don't expect most of those guys to actually hit the open market, but we need to find a way to get one of them.

Brian Burns

Chase Young

Montez Sweat

Danielle Hunter

Rashan Gary

Josh Allen

Burns i see no way of hitting the open market.  He’ll be a FT candidate if he doesn’t sign a monster extension.

Young I’d say is likely to make the market.  How he does this year both production and health-wise will determine if he’s getting a long term deal or shorter prove-it deals.  Either way, it’s a lot of money for Washington to have invested in their DL.  Montez Sweat gets the priority from Washington in this scenario.

Hunter i could see hitting the market.  He wanted out of MN last offseason and wasn’t happy with the FT.  Ended up singing a one year deal with them.  I don’t believe it has a FT protection clause in it, however.  He’s on the older end and MN is not exactly a power house right now.

Gary i see GB re-signing if they can afford him.

Allen idk enough about to really have an opinion.

What qualities do you look for when looking for a GM candidate?  Background at a successful franchise?  Experience at multiple franchises?  Playing experience?  Age?  Scouting experience?  Erni acorsi approved?

I wonder if you go through all the successful GMs if you can find some sort of formula, or is it just luck?  Granted there’s so much about these guys that were simply not privy to that goes out during interviews and background checks.

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

What qualities do you look for when looking for a GM candidate?  Background at a successful franchise?  Experience at multiple franchises?  Playing experience?  Age?  Scouting experience?  Erni acorsi approved?

I wonder if you go through all the successful GMs if you can find some sort of formula, or is it just luck?  Granted there’s so much about these guys that were simply not privy to that goes out during interviews and background checks.

This is why I am 50/50 on whether to replace Poles. It all seems like luck.

4 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Brian Burns

Chase Young

Montez Sweat

Danielle Hunter

Rashan Gary

Josh Allen

Whoever does hit the open market has to become our top defensive FA priority because the DE draft class isn't shaping up as well as hoped for.

3 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I'm a big believer it's not just one guy...sure the final decision falls on most GMs but it would be impossible to cover everything...just not enough hours in the day...for me connections are super important...who else can you bring with you to support the process?...

Bears current FO...

• President/CEO – Kevin Warren
  • General manager – Ryan Poles
  • Assistant general manager – Ian Cunningham
  • Senior vice president/general counsel – Cliff Stein
  • Co-director of player personnel – Jeff King
  • Co-director of player personnel – Trey Koziol
  • Assistant director of pro scouting – Chris White
  • Assistant director of college scouting – Breck Ackley
  • Director of football administration – Matt Feinstein
  • Director of football research – Harrison Fried
  • Director of football analytics – Krithi Chandrakasan

Eagles current FO...

• President – Don Smolenski
  • General manager/executive vice president – Howie Roseman
  • Assistant general manager – Alec Halaby
  • Assistant general manager – Jon Ferrari
  • Senior advisor to the general manager/chief security officer – Dom DiSandro
  • Director of football operations – Jeff Scott
  • Vice president of football administration – Jake Rosenberg
  • Vice president of football transactions and Strategic Planning – Bryce Johnston
  • Senior personnel director/advisor to the general manager – Matt Russell
  • Senior personnel director/advisor to the general manager – Dave Caldwell
  • Director of player development – Connor Barwin
  • Director of scouting – Brandon Hunt
  • Director of player personnel – Charles Walls
  • Director of player personnel – Alan Wolking
  • Director of college scouting – Phil Bhaya
  • Director of pro scouting – Max Gruder
  • Assistant director of pro scouting – Jeremy Gray
  • Senior director of college scouting – Anthony Patch
  • Assistant director of college scouting – Ryan Myers
  • Director of football analytics – James Gilman
  • Assistant director of football analytics – John Liu

The more talented evaluators you can have around you and the more jobs you can pass off to a trusted advisor the more time you can dedicate to building the roster correctly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Whoever does hit the open market has to become our top defensive FA priority because the DE draft class isn't shaping up as well as hoped for.

this is the point i was making. I know Burns/Gary are unlikely to actually become UFA, but if they do, throw the money at them

56 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This false post got a lot of Bears twitter.  

False post or not, it is just illogical. 

It delays how soon he can make that megadeal he will get if he is half as good as he should be. 

And hell, Bryce is making $6.2 million this year while Caleb is making about half of that with his NIL deal. 

So make half in 2024 via NIL compared to rookie pro salary (he'll likely be able to get a bit more but he isn't matching that, then make less every single year of your pro career because you started late? On top of missing out on getting over $20 mil paid in a lump sum that year? Sure. Sounds like a winning formula to "make more money" in college. lol 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

False post or not, it is just illogical. 

It delays how soon he can make that megadeal he will get if he is half as good as he should be. 

And hell, Bryce is making $6.2 million this year while Caleb is making about half of that with his NIL deal. 

So make half in 2024 via NIL compared to rookie pro salary (he'll likely be able to get a bit more but he isn't matching that, then make less every single year of your pro career because you started late? On top of missing out on getting over $20 mil paid in a lump sum that year? Sure. Sounds like a winning formula to "make more money" in college. lol 

The best one is "he doesn't want to play for a crappy team" since whoever has the #1 pick in 2025 will definitely finish the prior season 12-5 and have use for a QB of his caliber. People just need to stop. Denver has Payton and a good history. Chicago has this market and a great fan base. Minnesota has Jefferson and his #1 WR from college. Vegas is Vegas + the no state tax thing. He's going to leave USC and be the #1 pick no matter what. Jamokes said the same thing about Burrow: "he'll never play for the crappy Bengals!!"

• Like 1