Random Thoughts - In season 2023

dll2000

Anyone else ever think of the fact that George McCaskey is the grandson of the man who started the NFL and doesn’t know a damn thing about football and how to run a team? This thought pops into my head a couple times a week and it always pisses me off. I mean this guy was born into a life where he could run an NFL team. It was handed to him. A dream scenario for millions of people in this country and this guy has such little passion for the game that he couldn’t even try to understand the ins and outs of an NFL franchise? Wtf was he doing his entire life? George seems like a real nice guy but the fact that he squandered a 1 in a billion opportunity makes me hate his guts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Docknstein11 said:

Anyone else ever think of the fact that George McCaskey is the grandson of the man who started the NFL and doesn’t know a damn thing about football and how to run a team? This thought pops into my head a couple times a week and it always pisses me off. I mean this guy was born into a life where he could run an NFL team. It was handed to him. A dream scenario for millions of people in this country and this guy has such little passion for the game that he couldn’t even try to understand the ins and outs of an NFL franchise? Wtf was he doing his entire life? George seems like a real nice guy but the fact that he squandered a 1 in a billion opportunity makes me hate his guts.

A nepotism baby that’s devastating for a multibillion dollar organization. 

• Like 1

First mock off-season I’ve seen posted. The URL was a half mile long so I’m hiding it.

-Tom Gamble for GM

-Jim Harbaugh for HC - you’re not gonna find many mock off seasons that don’t feature Harbaugh or Johnson at HC. I’m okay with giving Harbaugh keys to the castle, the money he asks for and the power he needs. 
-Fields to ATL for a 4th. Would be an ideal location for him with a wealth of talent on that offense that would figure in well with his skillset. I am delusional enough to think Fields could still command at least a 3 though

-Mooney to NE for a 5th. It’s fair since he hasn’t contributed much lately, also hasn’t been healthy. I’d personally prefer to keep him and use him as a 3 if we were to take MHJR 

-Jaylon to DAL for a 5 and 7. Extremely modest return. He’s a starting caliber CB. This really only makes sense if you can’t afford what he’s asking and even then you’re back to drafting yet another high cb. 
-EJax to LAC for a 5th. This is the first one I actually like. An aging safety getting a 5th, clearing the books on a player whose best years are behind him. I’ve wanted him traded for 1-2 years now. 
-resign Billings 1 year. I like it. He’s been pretty okay. 
-resign Blackwell. 
-resign patrick scales. May he live forever

-cut DomRob, Whitehair, Homer. ~$12M saved. 
-Sign Brian Burns 4 yr $96m. I doubt he isn’t tagged by then, I 97% assume he’ll never see FA. Even then, in what world does he only get $24/year. Regardless, the concept of getting a premiere pass rusher via free agency is sexy 

-Sign Chase Young 4 year $72m. Another bad deal, but for money’s sake, not realism’s. Young is a massive question mark. If he gets big money, it’ll be a very short term deal, like what Marcus Davenport got. I’d like to test the waters for him, but not at $18/year for 4 years when he’s only had one good season, and in that season he still showed considerable exploitable flaws. 
-Sign KJ Osborn 3 yr $27m. I do like what I’ve seen of Osborn in MIN, but how much can he do as a more focal point to an offense without having Jefferson and Addison as the premiere targets/distractions. 
-Sign Cushenberry 2 yr $14m. Not a great C but I’m so tired of the last regime ignoring IOL that at least we are acknowledging it. 
-Draft Caleb Williams 1.1. It needs to happen. 
-Draft Olu Fashanu 1.4. Totally elite LT prospect. I am curious what we’d do with Brax. 
-Draft Maason Smith (DT) 2nd. Okay, totally mirroring the first mock draft I posted days ago lol. Are you stealing my posts, you sons of *******? 
-Draft Troy Franklin (WR) 3rd. Drafting a speed WR for the third straight year. At least they didn’t take my Moose pick. This puts our WR corps at MOORE - OSBORN - SCOTT/FRANKLIN/JONES. Idk. 
-Erick All (TE) 4th. He was mid at Michigan. Not a super exciting pick or TE in general, but hey, history likes it when you take Iowa TEs. 
-Bryce Foster (IOL) 4th - hey, at least new regime acknowledges needing to protect your future qb. 
-Bud Clark (S) 4th - I’ve watched him in 3 games or so. Wouldn’t hate the pick. Safety position gets younger

-Andre Carter (Edge), Austin Jones (RB), Ricky Pearsall (WR) 

So we get QBotF, Roschon looks to take reigns, WR corps plummet a bit (on paper), OL improves considerably, DL is addressed thoroughly. LB stays as it is, hopefully Edmunds starts playing better. And Secondary is a total liability. Oft injured/underwhelming Brisker and a mid round pick at safety. Stevenson and Gordon at cb (uh oh) and weak depth behind. Overall though, it isn’t terrible. 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

-Draft Olu Fashanu 1.4. Totally elite LT prospect. I am curious what we’d do with Brax. 

I don't hate this offseason at all. I'd be a big fan of bringing Harbaugh in just because it's so opposite of what we've been trying to do over the last 20 years.

In this scenario I think Braxton probably gets first crack at LG.

In the draft, obviously QB but outside of maybe a pick for WR and a pick for CB, I really want to just hammer OL and DL with every pick. Our performance there doesn't even come close to being professional. The other needs can wait until 2025, we need to get right up front first. Talent requirements at CB and S go down significantly if we have an effective pass rush.

• Like 1

I preached for years about the negative effects on confidence plugging a rookie/young qb into a pathetic offense/losing team and it’s heartbreaking that my concerns became validated. Look how confident and poised he looks in this game. We’ll never know what he could’ve actually been because of how badly we ****ed him up. We truly don’t deserve Caleb and it’ll be understandable if the nonsense about staying away from getting drafted by a bad team actually came to fruition. Unlucky for him though, there’s no reason to assume he’d avoid us the following year either. 

https://reddit.com/r/CHIBears/s/eRo5ixLS5N

The link I took the Steelers game highlights from. This is former director of player personnel, Josh Lucas, talking about FO mindset in the draft process when we took Fields. Fields was #2 overall qb for them, he said they didn’t have a first round grade on I think Zach Wilson or Trey Lance either. Said our top 3 interests were Fields, then Mac, then Darrisaw. Man I wish we’d stayed at 20 and taken Darrisaw lol. Lucas has a whole open book perspective on his experience and apparently talks about going Mitch over Mahomes and the luxury of getting to stick around through two drafted qbs. Should be a good listen. 

11 hours ago, Ty21 said:

ejYNuRL.png

did I just doxx epyon

Or the kid wants for hear the ******* play, like most QBs do...

People kill me with the oversensationalism. Lol

8 hours ago, Ty21 said:

First mock off-season I’ve seen posted. The URL was a half mile long so I’m hiding it.

-Tom Gamble for GM

-Jim Harbaugh for HC - you’re not gonna find many mock off seasons that don’t feature Harbaugh or Johnson at HC. I’m okay with giving Harbaugh keys to the castle, the money he asks for and the power he needs. 
-Fields to ATL for a 4th. Would be an ideal location for him with a wealth of talent on that offense that would figure in well with his skillset. I am delusional enough to think Fields could still command at least a 3 though

-Mooney to NE for a 5th. It’s fair since he hasn’t contributed much lately, also hasn’t been healthy. I’d personally prefer to keep him and use him as a 3 if we were to take MHJR 

-Jaylon to DAL for a 5 and 7. Extremely modest return. He’s a starting caliber CB. This really only makes sense if you can’t afford what he’s asking and even then you’re back to drafting yet another high cb. 
-EJax to LAC for a 5th. This is the first one I actually like. An aging safety getting a 5th, clearing the books on a player whose best years are behind him. I’ve wanted him traded for 1-2 years now. 
-resign Billings 1 year. I like it. He’s been pretty okay. 
-resign Blackwell. 
-resign patrick scales. May he live forever

-cut DomRob, Whitehair, Homer. ~$12M saved. 
-Sign Brian Burns 4 yr $96m. I doubt he isn’t tagged by then, I 97% assume he’ll never see FA. Even then, in what world does he only get $24/year. Regardless, the concept of getting a premiere pass rusher via free agency is sexy 

-Sign Chase Young 4 year $72m. Another bad deal, but for money’s sake, not realism’s. Young is a massive question mark. If he gets big money, it’ll be a very short term deal, like what Marcus Davenport got. I’d like to test the waters for him, but not at $18/year for 4 years when he’s only had one good season, and in that season he still showed considerable exploitable flaws. 
-Sign KJ Osborn 3 yr $27m. I do like what I’ve seen of Osborn in MIN, but how much can he do as a more focal point to an offense without having Jefferson and Addison as the premiere targets/distractions. 
-Sign Cushenberry 2 yr $14m. Not a great C but I’m so tired of the last regime ignoring IOL that at least we are acknowledging it. 
-Draft Caleb Williams 1.1. It needs to happen. 
-Draft Maason Smith (DT) 2nd. Okay, totally mirroring the first mock draft I posted days ago lol. Are you stealing my posts, you sons of *******? 
-Draft Troy Franklin (WR) 3rd. Drafting a speed WR for the third straight year. At least they didn’t take my Moose pick. This puts our WR corps at MOORE - OSBORN - SCOTT/FRANKLIN/JONES. Idk. 
-Erick All (TE) 4th. He was mid at Michigan. Not a super exciting pick or TE in general, but hey, history likes it when you take Iowa TEs. 
-Bryce Foster (IOL) 4th - hey, at least new regime acknowledges needing to protect your future qb. 
-Bud Clark (S) 4th - I’ve watched him in 3 games or so. Wouldn’t hate the pick. Safety position gets younger

-Andre Carter (Edge), Austin Jones (RB), Ricky Pearsall (WR) 

So we get QBotF, Roschon looks to take reigns, WR corps plummet a bit (on paper), OL improves considerably, DL is addressed thoroughly. LB stays as it is, hopefully Edmunds starts playing better. And Secondary is a total liability. Oft injured/underwhelming Brisker and a mid round pick at safety. Stevenson and Gordon at cb (uh oh) and weak depth behind. Overall though, it isn’t terrible. 

So you're trading Mooney and Johnson mid-season to ensure the tank. I could see that really passing in Fields' and Flubby's cheerios but I'm good with it.

Williams and Fashanu is one of my top two scenarios. Smith is going in the 1st IMO but if he could be had in the 2nd I'd be 100% down.

Leaves a lot to be desired but if Williams can develop and not get Carr'd or Fields'd then if consider it a hell of a start.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Or the kid wants for hear the ******* play, like most QBs do...

People kill me with the oversensationalism. Lol

So you're trading Mooney and Johnson mid-season to ensure the tank. I could see that really passing in Fields' and Flubby's cheerios but I'm good with it.

Williams and Fashanu is one of my top two scenarios. Smith is going in the 1st IMO but if he could be had in the 2nd I'd be 100% down.

Leaves a lot to be desired but if Williams can develop and not get Carr'd or Fields'd then if consider it a hell of a start.

Mooney with a modest extension is a million times more worth it than a 5FP. There’s an argument to be had that he peaked in 2021 and we’re all just living in the past thinking he can achieve that again. Could be true, but I think he’s still worth his potential. Jaylon, idk. He has to be worth more than a late 5 and 7. I just want to be done with our annual draft a bunch of cb’s routine. He’s proven he can be pretty alright. 

and that’s a huge if in regards to not Fields’ing Caleb. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Mooney with a modest extension is a million times more worth it than a 5FP. There’s an argument to be had that he peaked in 2021 and we’re all just living in the past thinking he can achieve that again. Could be true, but I think he’s still worth his potential. Jaylon, idk. He has to be worth more than a late 5 and 7. I just want to be done with our annual draft a bunch of cb’s routine. He’s proven he can be pretty alright. 

and that’s a huge if in regards to not Fields’ing Caleb. 

I like Mooney ans would like to re-sign him. I still don't feel like he is 100%, he is far from slow but he isnt as explosive as he was before the ankle injury. Honestly if he wanted #1 money from CHI but would accept less from a contender I'd completely understand.

Jaylon hasn't missed time, yet. I think if he missed the usual 3-4 games it may be a decent deal to trade him. He is a good cover CB though and if he's healthy then the trade will end up sucking a big one. Tough to make the trade, but its as much a gamble to extend him as to trade him imo. Either way could bite you.

• Like 1