New Regime Options

beardown3231

If Eberflus is retained then I wouldn't be surprised for Frank Reich to become the new OC.  He has experience at the position; has history with Matt as his former coach; and having a former head coach around could help Matt out.

The current regimes biggest fault was having first timers in all the key areas:  general manager, head coach, and offensive coordinator.  Reich wasn't a good HC but he's done it twice so it's something? Having all these guys learning on the job without someone in the organization to lean on has showed the past two years so Frank could give advice in certain areas.

9 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I was originally hoping we could give Joe Brady his next chance, but he is likely to hang onto the Bills gig after turning them around a bit (although the Defense getting healthy is probably a bigger factor)

I still have Eric Bieniemy and Frank Reich at the top of my list.  

3 hours ago, BeaReylo said:

If Eberflus is retained then I wouldn't be surprised for Frank Reich to become the new OC.  He has experience at the position; has history with Matt as his former coach; and having a former head coach around could help Matt out.

The current regimes biggest fault was having first timers in all the key areas:  general manager, head coach, and offensive coordinator.  Reich wasn't a good HC but he's done it twice so it's something? Having all these guys learning on the job without someone in the organization to lean on has showed the past two years so Frank could give advice in certain areas.

The problem with Frank Reich is that he's incredibly rigid within his scheme and I don't believe he knows how to mold his offense around a freak athlete QB like Justin Fields.

You want an 'A' to 'B' guy, you go get Greg Roman and for 2-3 years, and then upgrade the passing aspect of the scheme (unless he has learned and improved in 2023). It makes too much freaking sense, so of course we won't do it.

10 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Not surprising at this point.

Not surprising that this lousy franchise continues to reward crap. I knew this would happen. Beat a bunch of horse**** teams and/or QB's so let him come back. Fine. Bring back him, Getsy, Poles and Fields so they can be mediocre again in 2024 & completely start over in 2025 (as usual)

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Not surprising at this point.

I think given how the players view Flus this is the right move...players will always know better than anyone else and it is clear they not only love playing for Flus but trust and respect him to get it right...

Now the bigger question is what does he do with his staff at both DC (and does he retain play calling duties? Hopefully he does) & more importantly who does he bring in at OC because the mix of Fields & Getsy just isn't going to work.

56 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think given how the players view Flus this is the right move...players will always know better than anyone else and it is clear they not only love playing for Flus but trust and respect him to get it right...

Now the bigger question is what does he do with his staff at both DC (and does he retain play calling duties? Hopefully he does) & more importantly who does he bring in at OC because the mix of Fields & Getsy just isn't going to work.

This isn't a charity, man. You keep citing players' opinions as apart of your argument for keeping Fields and now you're doing it with the coach. If they don't like it, ask for a trade. This isn't their job.

• Like 1

Just now, CBears019 said:

Ian rappaport?  Yeah he’s one of NFLs big guns a la schefter.  Though, he’s the only one I’ve seen reporting this so far.

And honestly, if you listen to it, it's not really a report. He practically said "the Bears are playing better and they might just keep Eberflus now."

Will they? Sure it's the Bears, but I'm not sure it's set in stone

If Flus is retained we badly need to bring in an experienced OC if the plan is also to keep Fields (which it should be)...I don't think Frank Reich is coming here or anywhere else for that matter so the 3 that would make the most sense right now IMO would be...

Greg Roman

Darrell Bevell

Kellen Moore

Greg Olson

There are always interesting first time OCs but let's find someone who really understands how to build an offence around Fields and what the rest of our players do well.

9 minutes ago, Pool said:

I predict that if they keep Eberflus the defense will regress next year when we hire another lame duck DC.

Ya honestly the D is the least of my concerns with this team as weird as that it is to say co soldering how bad they were before hiring Snow and trading for Sweat

Better question is can Flus hire a competent OC this time around?

He better or he's likely outta here in 2025

This news from Rapoport, if accurate, tells me that there's a pretty good chance Fields is also back.

I truly think Poles believes in Fields and wants to build a complete roster around him

Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go into year 3 with Eberflus and start over at QB..at least to me anyway 

That said I could see them drafting another QB at some point this draft as a hedge to Fields. If a guy like Penix slips to the 2nd then I can see Poles being intrigued 

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Sounds like he will retain play-calling duties -- which he very well should. The players love him, especially the defense having him in that role.

Curious what that means for the DC position, it will be pretty toothless so I don't think a Leslie Frazier will be interested. If Phil Snow wants the job, give it to him.

7 hours ago, G08 said:

Sounds like he will retain play-calling duties -- which he very well should. The players love him, especially the defense having him in that role.

Curious what that means for the DC position, it will be pretty toothless so I don't think a Leslie Frazier will be interested. If Phil Snow wants the job, give it to him.

I think if Snow wants it then he has earned it in a lot of ways...that said at 68 years old he might prefer the advanced analysis role he has right now...if he does then the DC role becomes open to just about anyone who we think is an excellent position coach if Flus keeps play calling duties.