Week 4: Detroit Lions (2-1) at Green Bay Packers (2-1)

Old Guy

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

So the Packers and Lions will both be down 2 starting OL and Lions will also be missing their OT 3. 

Gonna be a big night for the front 7 especially with an undermanned CB group against Amon Ra and co. 

Who is the second Lions O-lineman? I know the RG is out. I thought Decker was trending towards being back and Jackson was questionable, I thought he'd be a go. 

Interesting stats, the Packers are 8th in points scored, while the Lions are 12th. Packers are 13th in points allowed and the Lions are 15th. Packers win in both categories, which I was surprised about. Makes the game much closer and actually gives the edge to us. 

However, when it comes to yards the Pack are 22nd in offence while the Lions are 8th. Similarly, the Packers are 15th in yards given up while the Lions are 11th. So in yards terms for both offence and defence the Packers trail the Lions, most notably on offence.

Detriot's passing offence in terms of yards is 7th in the League and our pass defence is 10th, so we match up okay there, but with the absence of Jaire this could be an issue. Detroit's rushing offence is 11th and this is where we get hammered, we are 27th. Detroit will be without Montgomery though. We'll see what Jahmyr Gibbs has got. 

The Packers are 19th in terms of yards for passing offence and Detroit are also 19th in pass defence. Where Detroits defence excels is they are 5th in stopping the run, while we are the 23rd rushing offence. 

The key to this game, like I guess most games, but maybe more apparent here is can we stop their run and can we establish the run. 

20 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Interesting stats, the Packers are 8th in points scored, while the Lions are 12th. Packers are 13th in points allowed and the Lions are 15th. Packers win in both categories, which I was surprised about. Makes the game much closer and actually gives the edge to us. 

However, when it comes to yards the Pack are 22nd in offence while the Lions are 8th. Similarly, the Packers are 15th in yards given up while the Lions are 11th. So in yards terms for both offence and defence the Packers trail the Lions, most notably on offence.

Detriot's passing offence in terms of yards is 7th in the League and our pass defence is 10th, so we match up okay there, but with the absence of Jaire this could be an issue. Detroit's rushing offence is 11th and this is where we get hammered, we are 27th. Detroit will be without Montgomery though. We'll see what Jahmyr Gibbs has got. 

The Packers are 19th in terms of yards for passing offence and Detroit are also 19th in pass defence. Where Detroits defence excels is they are 5th in stopping the run, while we are the 23rd rushing offence. 

The key to this game, like I guess most games, but maybe more apparent here is can we stop their run and can we establish the run. 

The Lions played the Chiefs, Seahawks and Falcons. We played the Bears, Falcons and Saints. Hardly a fair comparison. 

We are going to have our hands full. If we win this one, we are legit, no doubt about it. 

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The Lions played the Chiefs, Seahawks and Falcons. We played the Bears, Falcons and Saints. Hardly a fair comparison. 

We are going to have our hands full. If we win this one, we are legit, no doubt about it. 

Don't put context to stats, it does not compute

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Whoever blocks them up front the best with their makeshift OL will win.

I'm hoping Rhyan gets a chance to show what he can do. Newman was not awful last week, but he certainly wasn't good either. Not sure what it hurts to give him a shot.

I see you are coming around to my way of thinking! 😄

38 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

....Detroit's rushing offence is 11th and this is where we get hammered, we are 27th.....The key to this game, like I guess most games, but maybe more apparent here is can we stop their run and can we establish the run. 

If it really hinges on our run defense and run offense, that is not an encouraging forecast!!  

To hypothetically win, Packers need to win the passing game, somewhat decisively.  [Or have them lose it?] 

• Pass-rush needs to cause some havoc and limit their pass-game efficiency.  
  • Pass-blocking needs to hold up, yet again, to allow productive passing for us.  With Jones and Watson back, might add variety of ways to attack through the air.  
  • Every game is different.  Perhaps tonight Detroit will be aggressive and our pass-protection will finally get exposed.  Wouldn't surprise, but who knows?
  • I don't anticipate "winning" the running game.  Just don't get totally outclassed.  The run offense needs to be anti-awful, and the run defense needs to be anti-awful.  (The latter was true in the two wins; but it was awful in the loss.)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, R T said:

If Jones is a go, they may decide to let Taylor sit Thursday and bring Ballentine and Gaines up. Both would be ST's and DB help, whereas Taylor probably would be limited to ST's only this week.

(Triggers the Dillon butt hurt crowd.) 

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

no Decker or Montgomery for  for them .

So, which one of you guys is Wendell Ferreira? I have a good idea who Andy Herman and Bill Huber post here as, but this is a new one to me. 

Jordan scrambling might also be a tie-breaker.  *IF* they try to be more aggressive with their pressure, sometimes that allows some available lanes for QB.  *IF* it was to hypothetically be kind of a toss-up game, one or two runs by Jordan might keep one or two drives alive, which might make the difference.