What Went Wrong?

dll2000

The Oline - this has been huge.

Whitehair was always going to be weak link of starting 5.

Wright is a rookie.

But then Jenkins got hurt.

Whitehair got hurt - they panicked and moved him to left guard.

Davis is presumably grieving over a parent or something (Still haven't heard an official report) and whatever it is can't seem to get past it to play football.  

Braxton you were hoping took a step forward (which he did), but then he got hurt.

This is too much to overcome.

Oline is too important to football.

The lack of faith in the Oline has affected the game plans.

• Like 1

QB

Our QB could be excused for game 1 because it was a surrender game plan.  

But he is seeing ghosts and he is not pulling trigger on open players.   He was doing it in practice and now he is not.

I don't know what to say.   If your QB won't throw the ball downfield and on time (at least most of time) you can't drive and win.   You just can't .

Maybe 3 years of bad Oline play ruined him.   Maybe Getsy can't teach.   Maybe the GB offensive coaches were overrated and riding LaFluer's coat tails like Andy Reid assistants.

Maybe Fields just can't process.  I don't really know true story - there is never enough true information out there without being inside building. 

But bottom line is he isn't playing like he should at this point in time and it is very disappointing. 

Fact that we may have to create a dumbed down Cam Newton offense is a really sad state of affairs.  

• Like 1

Why has defense been so bad?

I would say primarily because the secondary is too banged up and has been since camp.

But the DL has been very disappointing.   We can't get off field on 3rd down.   3 and 8 whatever.  First down.   

I don't know why we invested so heavily in LBs.  Because FLUs was a LB?

LBs don't move the needle.   They are nice, but luxury items.

• Like 1

In response to "what went wrong?"  I present you with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

The Bears specific answer is:

-Bad Coaching

-Bad Ownership

-Bad drafting'

-Bad roster

-Bad scheme

-No ability to pressure opposing QB, which means no pressure trying to rush 4 and drop into zone. Corners aren't good enough at man coverage to play on islands.

-Bad OLine

-Bad QB who can't read the Field, anticipate, or pull the trigger quickly enough when he actually does the first two things

-Significant FA investment into less important positional groups...

-Lack of production from FAs.

-No/Low accountability for underperforming players

-Hanging onto bad players because of contracts

• Like 1

O-line and secondary are messes.  Part of that is injuries, but as the saying goes 'next man up' 

Fields holds onto the ball very long.  If we're down, he goes into 'I need to do more' mode and that turns into bad decisions and turnovers. 

Play calling is awful

No pass rush.  We've only had 2 sacks so far, both by YN.  Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Defense on field a lot.  Part of the offenses job is to sustain drives, move the ball. 

5 minutes ago, Bowler1215 said:

O-line and secondary are messes.  Part of that is injuries, but as the saying goes 'next man up' 

Fields holds onto the ball very long.  If we're down, he goes into 'I need to do more' mode and that turns into bad decisions and turnovers. 

Play calling is awful

No pass rush.  We've only had 2 sacks so far, both by YN.  Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Defense on field a lot.  Part of the offenses job is to sustain drives, move the ball. 

Poles has spent 3 second round picks in two years on the secondary, and it's still a horse**** group, but I'm sure that's Pace's fault too

I said this pretty early last season but in sport when you become a loser it's hard to stop being a loser without major change...we watched this happen to the Lions over and over again...you looked at their roster and say players like Stafford, Johnson & Suh and thought how can they be this bad? Look at the talent on all those Cleveland teams or Jacksonville...same deal...losing becomes 2nd nature...even in games you should win...Fields is 5-22 as a starter...Poles & Flus are 3-17...some of these young guys only know getting beat in the pros and don't know how to overcome adversity...Fields is a prime example of a guy who probably from his earliest days to his last season at Ohio State was used to being a winner what 95% of the time...tough to then become a loser...

Then you add in all the obvious things like coaching, QB play, OL play, DL play and about 10 other things and you end up with what looks like if could be one of the worst seasons in franchise if not league history.

20 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Poles has spent 3 second round picks in two years on the secondary, and it's still a horse**** group, but I'm sure that's Pace's fault too

The rule for players is see where they're at after being in the league for 3 years.  IMO that applies to coaches and GMs.  Poles inherited a trash team.  Is it going to continue to be trash or could he turn it around?  

After 20 games, Flus and Getsy have proven they suck and should be ran out of town.  

Poles hasn't drafted a QB yet, and he inherited a trash team.  Is it a case of 'it'll get worse before it gets better' or will it continue to be trash?  Only time will tell.   

Just now, Bowler1215 said:

The rule for players is see where they're at after being in the league for 3 years.  IMO that applies to coaches and GMs.  Poles inherited a trash team.  Is it going to continue to be trash or could he turn it around?  

After 20 games, Flus and Getsy have proven they suck and should be ran out of town.  

Poles hasn't drafted a QB yet, and he inherited a trash team.  Is it a case of 'it'll get worse before it gets better' or will it continue to be trash?  Only time will tell.   

Again that trash team was better than this team. 

I predicted a 10-7 with healthy players....  but now the OLs, DLs suck...  Safeties suck too when BoJack doesn't play...   Stevenson is as expected...

But I know we could be a 5-12 team.  This doesn't surprise me. 

What surprised me the most is how ugly the defense has become.

And then the DC Williams issue.... lolz  this one I didn't see it coming...😂

When Jenkins and Gordon went down.... I felt like bad things are coming ....

bad things lead to more bad things...

Edited by JibjeResearch

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

QB

Our QB could be excused for game 1 because it was a surrender game plan.  

But he is seeing ghosts and he is not pulling trigger on open players.   He was doing it in practice and now he is not.

I don't know what to say.   If your QB won't throw the ball downfield and on time (at least most of time) you can't drive and win.   You just can't .

Maybe 3 years of bad Oline play ruined him.   Maybe Getsy can't teach.   Maybe the GB offensive coaches were overrated and riding LaFluer's coat tails like Andy Reid assistants.

Maybe Fields just can't process.  I don't really know true story - there is never enough true information out there without being inside building. 

But bottom line is he isn't playing like he should at this point in time and it is very disappointing. 

Fact that we may have to create a dumbed down Cam Newton offense is a really sad state of affairs.  

It's time for people to start accepting that Fields fell in the draft for a reason. He has flaws as a passer. I don't care how bad your OL or play calling may have been, when you have started 28 games in this league as a QB and have yet to throw for over 300 yards in a game and your career completion percentage is barely close to 60% that is a major red flag.

I'm not all about the stats either but that's pretty pathetic. Even Mitch was better as a passer with less talent around him.

And Fields college teammate CJ Stroud has already had a 300 yd game in his short career and has looked way better than Fields this season with just as poor OL talent and less talented receivers, as a rookie to boot

I think coaching may play a part in some of these struggles but I'm also not letting Fields off the hook for his poor play. These two things are not mutually exclusive 

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2