Stefan Diggs HOF case.

TecmoSuperJoe

I don't think so. Though I've differed with the actual HOF committee's standards before.

He's definitely stepped up as of late since pairing with Josh Allen, but not enough to set himself apart, IMO. Career stat wise, he's kind of in the same territory as T.Y. Hilton Or Marques Colston, minus the post-prime fluff years, right now. For current players, Keenan Allen and Amari Cooper are in similar spots as far as stats and accolades. And that's definitely not enough. He's always been solidly behind a few other WRs throughout his career, which has always been my mark, personally, for who deserves it. Whether it's been Jones or Brown or Hopkins or Thomas or Beckham or Hill or Adams or Jefferson, he's never really had a compelling argument for being the best or even really particularly close to the best in the league.

Now, the two things he does still have going for himself, is he is pretty young still relative to the number of years he's played, and he's still on a great team at the moment. Being 29 in year 9 is pretty young, all things considered. When you look at other guys who were in similar statistical places recently at this point in their career, guys like T.Y. Hilton, Demaryius Thomas, etc., those guys were all a year or two older at this point, and declined quickly afterwards. Diggs hasn't shown signs of that yet, and if his relative youth and health gives him a few more prime years, that could make a difference. He stays the course he's been on the past 3 seasons, for the next 3 seasons he could hit 13000 yards by the time he retires and have a much, much more compelling case. And then being on the Bills and playing with Allen increases the chances of him staying in the spotlight, continuing to produce, and getting shots in the postseason. A superbowl where he shows up in a big way would make a huge difference to his chances too.

So, right now, I would say no, and I wouldn't bet on it. But he has ways to get there.

Highly unlikely. The WR spot is already backed up as far as the HoF goes, and there are guys like Julio/AB/Hill/probably Adams/possibly Hopkins, strong start for Jefferson, etc. who would all get in before he would from roughly the same era.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

Highly unlikely. The WR spot is already backed up as far as the HoF goes, and there are guys like Julio/AB/Hill/probably Adams/possibly Hopkins, strong start for Jefferson, etc. who would all get in before he would from roughly the same era.

I think at this point Diggs has a better chance than AB lol. 

On 9/30/2023 at 7:21 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

How many more quality seasons on par with what he's had starts to move him into HOF candidacy?

3 more season of 1500+ yards and 10+ tds and maybe he will get some talk.  More games now, teams don't run as much anymore.  More QB's tossing for more yards than ever so just like the economy there is a yardage inflation.  I also don't think anyone thinks of Diggs as one of the best at his position for a sustained part of his career.  Those are the guys that normally get into the hall.

If 2023 plays out the way it does, it will be the 13th most passing yards average per game of all time, and remember we have the Justin Fields Bears and Zach Wilson Jets trying to tank this stat!!! .  14 of the top 15 passing yards average per game of all time happened in the last 15 years.

Hall of very good for me, WR numbers are massively inflated compared to where they were in previous generations. Awesome receiver, but I think the bar should be higher again for the position. 

That said he doesn't turn 20 until late November. If he can keep it up at this clip and ages very well then I might change my mind.