In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

4 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

imo this is something to keep in mind when evaluating Flores work this season...our DLine is a bottom3 DLine which struggles to generate pressure unless they are rushing more than 4. Our Defensive Tackle duo is probably the worst in NFL...need to upgrade here

Well, we haven't really had an above-average pass rushing DT since Kevin Williams.  Sebastian Thunderbucket was the last even good one and he left after 2017. 

Browns very high on that list with Dalvin Tomlinson and Z. Smith.  It helps a ton to have Myles Garrett on the line, but the Vikings have Hunter.  It would be great to have improved pieces to compliment Hunter. It's a shame it didn't work out with Tomlinson or Smith.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

if they are able to keep Flores, Christian Wilkins would be my top FA target.

Agreed.  I was hoping he'd fall to the Vikings in 2019, so if they could get him now, that would be my ideal FA target. 

And if they would manage to do that, the Vikings would have 5 of the top 33 picks in the 2019 draft on their roster (Hockenson, Wilkins, Bradbury, N'Keal Harry, and Byron Murphy).

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 8:18 PM, SotanKing said:

imo this is something to keep in mind when evaluating Flores work this season...our DLine is a bottom3 DLine which struggles to generate pressure unless they are rushing more than 4. Our Defensive Tackle duo is probably the worst in NFL...need to upgrade here

Our IDL is actually the worst (by far) in pass rush win rate. Major draft need, especially with how many times we just rush three.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GermanVike said:

Our IDL is actually the worst (by far) in pass rush win rate. Major draft need, especially with how many times we just rush three.

I think it's probably actually worse when they rush 4.  I think they're actually more effective rushing 3 than when rushing 4.  A lot of the times they got exploited late in games was when they were rushing 4. 

• Like 1

I've been confused by Flores. The defense was awful at the start of the year. The Eagles ran the ball every play in one drive in the 3rd qtr and the Vikings looked exposed. However the team defense got it together and looked really good. What happened to that? If the Lions game looks like the last 3 games it will be hard to feel confident in next season.