In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

As of right now, Theo Jackson is the S4 in Minnesota.

The top trio of Harrison Smith, Josh Metellus, and Camryn Bynum isn’t going anywhere. Those three are going to be leaned on to do a pile of work in the upcoming season — something Flores will readily acknowledge — and yet the defensive backfield is going to need more help.

Flores:[Theo has had] an incredible amount of growth, an incredible amount of just improvement. That’s probably the best term to use for him, improvement.”

“Anyone who watches Theo work, from a meeting standpoint, from a training standpoint, from just an understanding of concepts and a knowledge of the game, I think he’s starting to put a lot of things together. And he’s growing in confidence, which that comes with preparation and he prepares the right way. And it’s showing up on the field.”

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/top_news/brian-flores-heaps-praise/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1

I wonder how far off they are on a contract extension with Bynum. If he's looking for too much I don't think it would be crazy to see what they could get in a trade for him and give Theo and ward a chance for more playing time

20 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

What do you guys think?

I hope the light goes on for Jones this year. He has enticing athleticism. But he needs to become more consistent if he has any hope of getting a second contract from the Vikings.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I wonder how far off they are on a contract extension with Bynum. If he's looking for too much I don't think it would be crazy to see what they could get in a trade for him and give Theo and ward a chance for more playing time

There are still some decent names available in free agency at Safety. None as good as Bynum, but solid enough to where I don't think that he'd fetch us more than the comp pick we'd get if he left. But it's certainly possible. I really hope they get a deal done with him though.

• Like 1

Will Ragatz, SI.com: "Even on a day with no pads, Harrison Phillips stood out in the middle of the Vikings’ defense. He blew up a run play on the very first rep of the practice, then later took Garrett Bradbury to the grass and got a little chippy with Minnesota’s starting center."

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/vikings-analysis/unsung-vikings-defender/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

There are still some decent names available in free agency at Safety. None as good as Bynum, but solid enough to where I don't think that he'd fetch us more than the comp pick we'd get if he left. But it's certainly possible. I really hope they get a deal done with him though.

I feel like that aren't going to get much for comp picks next year.  I expect them to be active in few agency

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I feel like that aren't going to get much for comp picks next year.  I expect them to be active in few agency

Free agency was definitely going to always be the emphasis in 2025.  

do we have too many good safeties and not enough good cornerbacks...?

But what about moving Cam Bynum back to cornerback, just for the season?

He was a middle-tier cornerback prospect in the 2021 draft class. The Vikings’ move to safety for him has proved to be a great one, as he has outplayed his draft capital and is poised to be extended by the team.

His PFF coverage grades in college were favorable. He earned an average grade of 75.2, with his highest grade coming in his sophomore year when he graded out at 82.4.

The preseason is all about moving the chess pieces around and seeing what strategies work. Bynum making a move to cornerback is simple, it makes sense, and it is the band-aid solution this team needs.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2024/08/02/is-camryn-bynum-the-answer-to-the-vikings-problem-at-cornerback/

"The Vikings sent blitzes at the opposing passer on 50.7% of pass plays, the most we’ve seen from any team since 2014. Digging deeper into that metric, they rushed six or more players on 26.3% of opposing dropbacks. The next-highest rate of six-plus rushers? 13.9%."

Not all of these guys will make the team however listed below, but honestly with Metellus and the three safety look instead of being a base 3/4 defense the could easily be more of a 3/3/5 defense.  

LDE: Jonathan Bullard/ Jerry Tillery/  Jonah Williams

NT: Harrison Phillips/ Jaquelin Roy

RDE : Jihad Ward/ James Lynch

WLB: Jonathan Greenard/ Andre Carter II/ Gabriel Murphy

LILB: Ivan Pace Jr./ Kamu Grugier-Hill

RILB: Blake Cashman/ Brian Asamoah II/ Bo Richter

SLB: Andrew Van Ginkel/ Dallas Turner/ Pat Jones II

LCB: Byron Murphy Jr./ Fabian Moreau/ Andrew Booth Jr/ NaJee Thompson

SS: Harrison Smith/ Jay Ward

FS: Camryn Bynum/ Theo Jackson/ Lewis Cine

RCB: Shaquill Griffin/ Akayleb Evans/ Duke Shelley

NB: Josh Metellus/ A.J. Green III 

With no real slot CB on the roster outside of Murphy, playing Metellus as a slot or nickel CB with three safeties is the way to go.  But ultimately he would be the 4th LB in a 3/4 defense.  Still with three down DL since they have no other great DT outside of Phillips, then dropping one LB as a four edge rusher like Greenard, Turner or Van Ginkel.  

The teams base could easily be this

DE Ward
NT Phillips
DE Bullard
OLB Greenard
ILB Pace
OLB Cashman
CB Murphy
CB Evans
Slot Metellus
SS H. Smith
FS Bynum

Ideally Carter can take Bullard's place who is not much of an edge rusher, or even Greenard and allow Turner on the field as the OLB/edge rusher.  Ward if healthy is solid and provides good enough punch as a DL.  Can Metellus play the slot, not sure in coverage but tackling no question about it.  Theo Jackson can be moved around also along with Smith and Bynum.  

They want variety obviously and for the offense to not know who is coming and from where.  Cashman might be hurt in playing time because Van Ginkel is more versatile as a LB and if Turner is good enough to play a lot they need him on the field also.  Greenard could take that DE spot but then clearly it makes the base not a 3/4 but more like a nickel defense with two LBs and the third DB being Metellus, or makes it like I said a 3/3/5 with one of those three LBs basically a DE edge rusher but drops at times also.

Or Harrison Smith gets less time because of his age and Metellus takes that spot and they play a different slot, only question who is that outside of Murphy who is the best true slot CB they have on the roster.  Also Najee Thompson does he stick at CB or move to safety like originally planned, might need him at CB and with his tackling maybe he could play some slot, just not sure he has the quickness.  

Shaquill Griffin is a big key because if he is legit he can start boundary and Evans the other side and they can move Murphy to the slot if need be.  If Griffin struggles then no way they can move Murphy around as much.  Moreau and AJ Green are just options but hopefully they will provide something more than just bodies at CB.  And in terms of Booth and Cine, who knows what they can do if anything, would be nice if they are legit options as backups but not sure either one is, Booth has a chance though with all the stuff happening at CB, Cine probably has zero shot at any real playing time unless two starters get hurt.

Would be great to have another DT develop outside of having just Phillips.  They need more DT help no question especially if playing four DL a lot even if one of those DL are a edge/OLB.  Maybe Roy can become something, they brought in Jalen Redmond who showed big time pass rush potential on Oklahoma, declared too early and was not drafted but maybe he could do some things.  Would be great to get something out of James Lynch but who knows what he is like off of injury.  Also hopefully Ritcher transitions to ILB so they can keep Murphy and Jones at edge and keep 6 of them and just keep less ILBs potentially.  

On 7/31/2024 at 4:20 PM, vike daddy said:

As of right now, Theo Jackson is the S4 in Minnesota.

Flores:[Theo has had] an incredible amount of growth, an incredible amount of just improvement. That’s probably the best term to use for him, improvement.”

“Anyone who watches Theo work, from a meeting standpoint, from a training standpoint, from just an understanding of concepts and a knowledge of the game, I think he’s starting to put a lot of things together. And he’s growing in confidence, which that comes with preparation and he prepares the right way. And it’s showing up on the field.”

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/top_news/brian-flores-heaps-praise/

Alec Lewis, The Athletic: "Nobody has had a better camp than this dude. He’s literally everywhere every day."

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/backup-vikings-defender-eve

• Like 1

Theo Jackson the antithesis of Lewis Cine and Andrew Booth. 

Just goes to show that athletic ability only gets you so far. If you aren’t willing to put in the work, and grind, then there will be no place for you. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Theo Jackson the antithesis of Lewis Cine and Andrew Booth. 

Just goes to show that athletic ability only gets you so far. If you aren’t willing to put in the work, and grind, then there will be no place for you. 

Very true, but is also why it is so odd.  They are professional football players and really their life depends on how well they play which means how much money they will make in this little window of time.

So seems odd to not give great effort in your training and preparation.  Show very basic work ethic.  The right thing, the right way, the right time all the time! 

The King says it best

I guess Cine has what $11 million right now guaranteed, Jackson is not even making $1 mil this up coming season.  Maybe it is as simple as that, Jackson knows without good play he will be cut, and strange thing is Cine is probably the one being cut so you think he would be giving it his all before that happens.