In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

On 11/7/2023 at 6:32 PM, JDBrocks said:

a lunatic. I love it.

That is cool, gives an attitude to the defense honestly.  And their blitz rate is 31.6% the highest in the NFL, next highest are the Giants with 23.9%

Sadly if they keep this up throughout the year, I would be shocked if he is not gone to be a head coach after the success he has had here.  Players love the dude and he can change a culture of a team, is well worth another head coaching job and if he goes no clue who replaces him.

He is creative in how he uses the players which keeps things off balance and keeps the pressure on the offense.  

17 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Questioning the talent, even now, is still warranted.

The massive leaps forward from Bynum and Metellus wasn't foreseeable, nor was the total resurgence of Hunter and Hicks

And still the corners and lineman are really really suspect.

So yes, there is more here to work with then we thought but this group is absolutely punching above their weight.

I agree Metellus playing so well is super impressive.  And it is how he is being used as a 3rd LB or a slot corner in a way which helps because the Vikings do not have much of a slot corner.  Blackmon playing well has helped greatly and allowed Murphy to be moved around a bit more.  Bynum really has taken to the system and Hicks is playing flat outstanding.

Does suck the DL is so suspect outside of a few guys but glad they have changed the front and are using Hunter/Wonnum as DEs more often and not some stupid standout OLB.  Move guys around, 4 man fronts, 5 man fronts and change things.  Still if they had a better push up the middle think of the pressure they could get.  

The Giants do not really have any solid edge rusher outside of Thibodeaux especially with Ojulari out.  The Vikings at least have Wonnum who helps greatly and Davenport would as well if he was healthy and they have manufactured pressure with Metellus and Harrison Smith also.  Curious when they give Andre Carter II some run, I have seen him on the sidelines but not sure he has got in the game much.  

18 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

He’s gotten defensive snaps in the last 4 games.

He has?  Well talk about being completely invisible out there but one could say that about most of the DL outside of Harrison Phillips against the Packers and when Davenport was playing.  At least he is getting live game action which is great.  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Players love the dude and he can change a culture of a team, is well worth another head coaching job and if he goes no clue who replaces him.

A bridge we'll cross if it comes to that, I hope he sticks around. Flores shouldn't jump at any HC opportunity, it needs to be the right fit. I've said before and I'll continue to say it that he needs to take the Dan Quinn approach as it will likely be is last opportunity as a HC.

If Flores does move on I'd put a decent amount of money on it being Brandon Staley who I have to imagine will be let go if the Chargers don't make the playoffs.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 10:27 AM, SemperFeist said:

Getting another HC job isn’t going to be as automatic for Flores as people think.

Raiders might stick with Pierce if they continue to win.  Chargers I assume should fire Staley if they miss the playoffs.  Commanders might fire Rivera but who knows and Bears might fire their HC but not totally sure on that either.  Might not be that many jobs open possibly.

Either way looking around the league at assistant coaches who could be a head coach, Flores is at or near the top of that list.  Who are these guys that are better than he is?  What Jim Harbaugh if he gets basically kicked out of college football?

And Sean Desai is in on that as well and both he and Flores were near the top potentially when the Vikings hired O'Connell.  Granted teams want a QB friendly coach that can develop the QB and honestly a lot of people that is all they care about.

Back to the D, nice to see Booth do a few positives in that game.  Still they are saved by Metellus being a slot corner basically or third LB and Hicks is doing outstanding in the system as is Hunter.  Blackmon has proven to be a solid third CB as well and Bynum continues to make plays.  Have to love it and honestly not many defenses are doing creative things like Flores is.  

Oh he is just blitzing all the time, no it is more than that and honestly is making offenses change to them and not the other way around.  They did give up a lot in that 2nd half but that was also the offense not taking advantage of opportunities to score to fully put the game away.  

• Like 1

It’s not going to be Flores’ lack of qualifications that’s going to make it harder for him to get a head coaching job. 

He still has a lawsuit pending against the NFL. Not only is that likely to dissuade teams from hiring him, but it’s probably not in his best interest either from a settlement standpoint. 

Secondly, Flores has already been fired from one head coaching job, and it was for legitimate reasons. Not a lot coaches get 2nd chances, especially defensive coaches. 

And there’s the legitimate concerns about Flores connecting with the entire team. Yes, there’s no doubt he’s good with the defense, and that his defensive players like playing for him. But what about the offense? There’s some serious questions about his relationship with offensive players and most notably the QB in Miami that he’s going to have to answer. 

Plus, then you have to think about what jobs are going to be available, the types of coaches who are going to be let go, and the owners of those teams. Teams rarely go from a defensive minded HC to another defensive minded HC, so teams like the Chargers, Bears, Commanders, Buccaneers, or Titans aren’t likely going to follow their current defensive kind head coach with another. And given Flores’ lawsuit and what he’s already experienced, I can’t see him going to a team with poor ownership. Especially since his 2nd chance will likely be the last chance he gets. 

• Like 7

Living by his MO, Brian Flores brought waves of pressure that kept the Saints’ offense on its heels early and silenced New Orleans late. A whopping 12 Vikings defenders generated at least one pressure on Sunday, per Next Gen Stats, led by Danielle Hunter's seven. Hunter lived in the backfield, earning a sack and three QB hits. Minnesota forced five three-and-outs, held New Orleans to 280 total yards and limited the Saints to 4 of 14 on third downs. Flores' crew iced the game with back-to-back INTs after the offense sputtered.

NFL.com

• Like 1

KOC:  "DJ’s been — really, been as consistent as any player on our football team this year. Danielle has been outstanding again for us but I think DJ has really fed off that, as well. We ask him to do a lot of different jobs that maybe don’t jump out at people that’s maybe as impactful. But he’s making an impact on every snap and he continues to do it week after week."

"I gave him a game ball and he’s one of those guys — I’ve said this before, but the guys in that locker room know, they know the coaching staff and the teammates know. And they went crazy for him knowing that DJ is one of those guys that doesn’t get all the headlines, but all he does is show up on Sunday and playing winning football.”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-kevin-oconnell-quotes-josh-dobbs-dj-wonnum-kirk-cousins/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0UhqtlqV88Lq_QOTcIUof24fvUwM9ClcXTxKr5vrFJ52G01pSXyyN5utI

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s not going to be Flores’ lack of qualifications that’s going to make it harder for him to get a head coaching job. 

He still has a lawsuit pending against the NFL. Not only is that likely to dissuade teams from hiring him, but it’s probably not in his best interest either from a settlement standpoint. 

Secondly, Flores has already been fired from one head coaching job, and it was for legitimate reasons. Not a lot coaches get 2nd chances, especially defensive coaches. 

And there’s the legitimate concerns about Flores connecting with the entire team. Yes, there’s no doubt he’s good with the defense, and that his defensive players like playing for him. But what about the offense? There’s some serious questions about his relationship with offensive players and most notably the QB in Miami that he’s going to have to answer. 

Plus, then you have to think about what jobs are going to be available, the types of coaches who are going to be let go, and the owners of those teams. Teams rarely go from a defensive minded HC to another defensive minded HC, so teams like the Chargers, Bears, Commanders, Buccaneers, or Titans aren’t likely going to follow their current defensive kind head coach with another. And given Flores’ lawsuit and what he’s already experienced, I can’t see him going to a team with poor ownership. Especially since his 2nd chance will likely be the last chance he gets. 

Jets
Bills
Patriots
Ravens 
Steelers
Houston
Titans
Raiders
Cardinals
Saints
Buccaneers
Seattle
Commanders

All of these teams have defensive minded head coaches or coaches who were defensive coaches before head coaches.  So pretty sure that is not an issue, as for the lawsuit I cannot speak to that but name me 5 assistants who are better qualified right now in the NFL to be head coaches, you cannot.  Dan Quinn, Eric Bieniemy, Aaron Glenn, Lou Anarumo, Sean Desai...not sure any of them are more qualified, only one being Dan Quinn and doubt he leaves Dallas to be a head coach.  

As for his ability to relate to players, that is a joke, are the Raiders players having trouble relating to Antonio Pierce because he is a former linebacker with a defensive background?  

The questions you bring up about Flores are a question, and why they are successful defensively is because of how he relates to and communicates with players, not the opposite.  As if all the NFL with all those defensive minded head coaches have no clue what offense is or how to talk to an offensive player?  

Brian Flores is awesome and will be a head coach in the NFL again sooner rather than later.