In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

Yes I approve!  Pay the man big bucks to stay on as DC and Assistant HC for 3 more years, and be a part of this budding young team on its way to a SuperBowl win!  There probably won't be ANY NFL owners wanting to hire him as HC for 2024, and probably 2025, anyway.  And maybe it would take another year for the memory of the lawsuit to dissipate enough.  The job openings for 2024 might not be to his liking anyway.  He'll need to wait and pick his spot to take on a HC job, as it might be his only chance if his team doesn't win.  Ride to glory as DC with the Vikes for a few years, build up the resume with a World-Champion, and jump on the best opportunity when it pops up.  i'm sure Kwesi and The wilfs would be glad to. make the last year flexible for both parties.

• Like 2

Ivan Pace practiced with the green dot for a while in training camp and had that responsibility in the preseason, preparing for this exact moment. Flores was asked about that on Thursday:

Flores: "That’s why you do it. Things happen to every team over the season. You want to have a backup at every position and have a plan for if somebody’s shoe comes off or worse. So it was good for him to get those reps in the preseason and then I thought he did a nice job with it in-game. I got to talk to Ivan a little bit more than I do to Jordan because [I give him] some reminders that I know Jordan knows and he’s passing out to his teammates that Ivan in some instances just needs a little bit more like any young player.

I thought he did a nice job of getting the calls out, executing the calls, playing fast and we’ll need more of that.

That part of it is obviously a big part because you have to get that information out but then it’s the execution piece that’s really the most important part of it and telling the group, ‘hey, we’re running Cover 3’ is one thing, but within a play based on what they do, we can do this, this, and that and just our overall getting us in the right call between the actual green dot player and the other communicators, primarily the safeties, that cohesion got to be right and something we’ll work on this week."

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/have-a-massive?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

Mehki Blackmon: "First three weeks it felt like we weren't really comfortable in the system. But up to this point, we've been trusting it. Flo has been telling us it's going to hit, just keep trusting it, and up to this point we've been doing really good."

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-notebook-justin-jefferson-kj-osborn-nick-mullens-kirk-cousins/600320047/

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

143 head coaches, not including interim head coaches, have been employed by NFL teams since 2000.

120 of those head coaches have been relieved of their duties.

9 of those head coaches who failed to make the playoffs with their first team got a second chance, and were hired as a head coach again. 

3 head coaches of those coaches have a defensive back ground. All 3 coaches were internal hires.

Where you get these numbers, not sure they are all accurate. 

I did not look up playoff records, but here are the defensive minded head coaches in the NFL who got multiple shots at being a head coach.  I included any coach that has coached in the 2000s on the list even though one of the stops might have been before 2000.  And I am sure I forgot plenty because I was trying to look it up one by one and was not just reading what someone else put out there.  

Pete Carroll Patriots/Seattle

Rex Ryan Bills/Jets

Lovie Smith Bears/Buccaneers

Ron Rivera Washington/Carolina

Jeff Fisher Titans/St. Louis Rams

John Fox Carolina/Broncos/Bears

Herm Edwards Jets/ Chiefs

Jack Del Rio Jaguars/Raiders

Dave Wannstedt Bears/Dolphins/Pittsburgh

Tony Dungy Tampa Bay/Indanapolis

Wade Phillips Broncos/Bills/Dallas

Bill Parcells Giants/Patriots/Jets/Cowboys

Drick Jauron Bills/Bears

Dennis Allen Raiders/Saints

Bill Belichick Browns/Patriots

George Seifert 49ers/Panthers

Romeo Crennel Browns/Chiefs

Brian Flores was 9-8 and 10-6 so he did not miss the playoffs by much, especially that 2nd year after 5-11 his first season.  But yes head coaches who do not get to the playoffs usually get fired or not hired again, ok, like anyone did not know that.  

These defensive background head coaches below only had one chance to be a head coach in the NFL and were never hired to be a head coach after that one chance so far.  And some clearly are great at defensive a defensive coordinator, like all time great or were long time head coaches like Cowher or an all time great in college like Saban.  Sure a lot of them could have been a head coach again if they really wanted but did not want to.

Vic Fangio *great DC
Dan Quinn *great DC
Bill Cowher *(long time head coach)
**** LeBeau *great DC
Steve Spagnuolo *great DC
Marvin Lewis *great DC
Nick Saban *(best college head coach in history arguably)
Gregg Williams *great DC
Jim Haslett
Chuck Pagano
Mike Pettine
Butch Davis
Mike Nolan
Mike Singletary
Gus Bradley
Raheem Morris
Matt Patricia
Vance Joseph
Al Groh

Mike Tomlin is still current and has never been fired after that first head coaching job yet.  Same with Robert Saleh, Demeco Ryans, Jonathan Gannon, Sean McDermott, Mike Vrabel

On 11/15/2023 at 8:39 AM, RpMc said:

For those who are loving Flores as much as me; really good explanation of how the Vikings get to Tampa-2 looks in a variety of different ways through the use of creepers (safe pressures that look like rushing 5 against the run but get to a 4 person rush vs pass), one of our drop 8 menu.  Coverage is Tampa, but you get different players as the pole runner, flat player, and umbrella player.

Thanks for sharing, it is a decent explanation of the scheme but the speaker does seem to be a little wordy on his verbiage in an effort to make himself sound better or more knowledgeable.  He could be a little more clear in some things.  Either way Metellus is huge to the defense and his use as a cover type LB or slot defender.  Also helps greatly that Blackmon can play outside at times which can move Murphy back inside which is probably his better spot. 

Is interesting that both Saints WRs raised their hands to show the QB they were open on that one play but really they were not because the safety was coming over the top and the window was blocked by the corner underneath.  Not to mention the pass rush got to him and the QB would have to have made a perfect drop in the bucket pass far downfield. 

On 11/15/2023 at 2:08 PM, swede700 said:

Here is basically an initial list of who Flores could be competing with for a HC job...

I would take Brian Flores over all of them no question.  Ben Johnson is only good because of that OL on the Lions and Mayo on the Patriots, they have been pretty disappointing on defense honestly.  Macdonald is interesting and might be the only one on Flores's level.  But really that D is good because of the players not so much the system, Roquan Smith is a monster and so is Kyle Hamilton obviously.  Along with that Clowney is playing great and Madubuike is having a career year and Humphrey is one of the best corners in the league.  

Mayo takes over in New England and Pierce remains in Las Vegas.

I figure Washington, Tennessee, LA Chargers, Chicago, Atlanta and maybe Cleveland still remain needing a Head Coach. 

If Cleveland lets Stefanski go, he ends up with one of those other teams like Washington or Atlanta.

So I see 6 opportunities for Flores this cycle. 

Edited by SteelKing728

40 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I don't understand this graphic. what do those variables mean?

I'm not immensely sure, but I think it is almost like defensively, the Vikings make a lot of coverage mistakes, but offensively they force the defense into a lot of coverage mistakes. 

34 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

You want to be in the top left. 

I don't think so. I think you want to be in the top right. look at the numbers on the graph. I think towards the top means your defense doesn't make many coverage mistakes, and toward the right means your offense forces defenses into coverage mistakes.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm not immensely sure, but I think it is almost like defensively, the Vikings make a lot of coverage mistakes, but offensively they force the defense into a lot of coverage mistakes. 

I think the bolded is flipped around - percentages are getting smaller toward the top.

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

This is correct. We are in a good space. We force coverage errors and don’t make many. We are second only to San Francisco. 

yes, you have to read not only the title of the x and y axis, but notice that their scales go in the opposite directions.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I don't think so. I think you want to be in the top right. look at the numbers on the graph. I think towards the top means your defense doesn't make many coverage mistakes, and toward the right means your offense forces defenses into coverage mistakes.

The Browns have probably the best defense in the league though.  I figured top left because of them..?