In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

45 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

And people were worried about the pass rush sans Hunter. 

I was never all that concerned.  He did the best he could, but Hunter was never a true fit for Flores' defense.  He didn't have the skills to drop back in coverage that was needed. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Only people who didn’t pay attention to what Flores does. 

yeah, i much prefer how Flores can send any one (or more) of eleven guys on the field in for a rush, instead of the known quantities who line up.

the illusion of complexity...

VERY interested to see how young Mr Stroud handles it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

yeah, i much prefer how Flores can send any one (or more) of eleven guys on the field in for a rush, instead of the known quantities who line up.

the illusion of complexity...

that being said, now this...

The Vikings have had the 49ers’ number the past two years. One of the reasons Minnesota is 2-0 against San Francisco is the presence of defensive coordinator Brian Flores. Flores mixes things up perfectly. The 49ers knew it was coming. It didn’t matter. The goal is to keep the offensive players guessing.

Kyle Shanahan: “That’s what they do. They either blitz or they back off and play zone. It’s one or the other. They’ve been mixing it up. They did it for 17 games last year. Now they’ve done it for two games this year.”

“I think that’s what the point of the scheme is. It’s to have six guys up on the line and come from everywhere. So you’ve got to — it’s just a lot of pressure on a quarterback throughout a game. That’s what their scheme is. They’re going to make you think whether you’re hot every play and if you’re not, then you’ve got to find the open zones. There are a lot of open zones, but it’s tough the way they slow you down with having the threat of zero all-out blitz throughout the game. He does a really good job of mixing it up and that is the challenge for a quarterback. It makes it really tough to get into a rhythm.”

Brock Purdy: “Brian Flores did what he’s done on tape. They’re just really, really good at it. Tip of the cap to Brian Flores, they just did a good job with making it look like one thing and it was another. Different types of blitzes or just dropping out from blitzes.”

It also makes it hard to have checkdown throws to running backs. As Shanahan said, the approach keeps the running backs in the backfield, in the event that they have to block.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/vikings-constantly-mix-it-up-on-defense-keeping-offenses-on-their-heels

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

It also makes it hard to have checkdown throws to running backs. As Shanahan said, the approach keeps the running backs in the backfield, in the event that they have to block.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/vikings-constantly-mix-it-up-on-defense-keeping-offenses-on-their-heels

This is a great point that I never really thought about. This scheme could completely neutralize any receiving threat from the backfield, which is huge. Hopefully, Tua's comments and the lawsuit will keep him here for the foreseeable future. He has to be one of the best DC's we have ever had as a franchise.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

that being said, now this...

The Vikings have had the 49ers’ number the past two years. One of the reasons Minnesota is 2-0 against San Francisco is the presence of defensive coordinator Brian Flores. Flores mixes things up perfectly. The 49ers knew it was coming. It didn’t matter. The goal is to keep the offensive players guessing.

Kyle Shanahan: “That’s what they do. They either blitz or they back off and play zone. It’s one or the other. They’ve been mixing it up. They did it for 17 games last year. Now they’ve done it for two games this year.”

“I think that’s what the point of the scheme is. It’s to have six guys up on the line and come from everywhere. So you’ve got to — it’s just a lot of pressure on a quarterback throughout a game. That’s what their scheme is. They’re going to make you think whether you’re hot every play and if you’re not, then you’ve got to find the open zones. There are a lot of open zones, but it’s tough the way they slow you down with having the threat of zero all-out blitz throughout the game. He does a really good job of mixing it up and that is the challenge for a quarterback. It makes it really tough to get into a rhythm.”

Brock Purdy: “Brian Flores did what he’s done on tape. They’re just really, really good at it. Tip of the cap to Brian Flores, they just did a good job with making it look like one thing and it was another. Different types of blitzes or just dropping out from blitzes.”

Dictating offensive formations is a huge flex.

• Like 1

i guess i have this question to ask of you smart guys - 

if Flores' defensive approach is being so widely recognized as top shelf and confusing to QB's and disrupting offensive planning, then why... aren't other teams copying it and using it? yes, they need the correct personnel for it, but why are they not drafting/acquiring those players and changing over?

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i guess i have this question to ask of you smart guys - 

if Flores' defensive approach is being so widely recognized as top shelf and confusing to QB's and disrupting offensive planning, then why... aren't other teams copying it and using it? yes, they need the correct personnel for it, but why are they not drafting/acquiring those players and changing over?

Honestly I feel like the biggest factor relating to why other coordinators aren't trying to replicate the scheme isn't as much due to personnel on the field as it's the coaching personal.

Flores has such a deep understanding of football, such an ability to innovate and flex his scheme week in and week out and such an ability to coach & teach players to implement this change on the field every week. I don't think there are many D coordinators out there with the ability to change and teach that change at the rate that Flores can - so trying to copy his scheme would be futile & likely would result in sloppy defence being played elsewhere if they tried.

• Like 2