2023 Week # 5 Steelers Vs. Ravens GDT Thread

Steeler Hitman

Who Ya Got This Week?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Can the Steelers Bounce Back Against the Ravens?

• Yes. They will somehow get it right and win a close one.
    • No. They have to many internal problems to beat a slid Ravens Team.
    • I Have no clue? This team is so up and down. who knows?

6 hours ago, August4th said:

now even the bears offense has now had high productive games.. looking it's between our offense and Denver defense for which unit is the worst in the league 

I was at that game  Commanders defense is miserable  

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I have been saying how bad the OL has performed.   The OL is getting the brakes beat off of them.  The third quarter against the Texans is the best they looked for a few consecutive series. Otherwise, they have been more down than up.  Kenny has only 16 games and has some time to turn it around, but the future is now.  The light bulb just needs to turn on for Kenny.  It would be a lot brighter if the team could run and set up more favorable down in distance. 

They start off like sloths on offense every week. 

sloths-slide9SamTrull.jpg

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/10/former-nfl-hc-mike-martz-on-steelers-offensive-woes-theyre-just-awful-up-front/

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/09/carney-steelers-offensive-struggles-revolve-around-poor-line-performances/

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, rlon said:

Highsmith vowing to play…hmmm…he better, or he will be Wally Pipped…I don’t think Highsmith is all that…solid player,  but Herbig could be a second Watt IMO

I don't think that Alex has anything to worry about right now. However, if Herbig continues to develop over the next few seasons,  he may cause veteran cap casualty down the road. A lot has to happen before that. He was a preseason stud, let's see that turned on during some "real games."

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I have been saying how bad the OL has performed.   The OL is getting the brakes beat off of them.  The third quarter against the Texans is the best they looked for a few consecutive series. Otherwise, they have been more down than up.  Kenny has only 16 games and has some time to turn it around, but the future is now.  The light bulb just needs to turn on for Kenny.  It would be a lot brighter if the team could run and set up more favorable down in distance. 

They start off like sloths on offense every week. 

sloths-slide9SamTrull.jpg

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/10/former-nfl-hc-mike-martz-on-steelers-offensive-woes-theyre-just-awful-up-front/

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/09/carney-steelers-offensive-struggles-revolve-around-poor-line-performances/

I hear ya. IIRC it was you who recommended Kenny sit for the year last year and you’re right. He should have from the standpoint of the offense wasn’t close. Some of us were clamoring for not taking a QB, going and building an OL. Truth is there’s few QBs who step into a bad offense and succeed. Most times the successful young QBs are stepping into a situation that is in a better place. Heck even look at Tua/TLaw. People were asking 16 games into their careers if they were it. It’s wild to think that the first 16 games of Josh Allen’s career were worse than Kenny’s. 

And that’s not to say Kenny is a stud held back. I don’t think he’s close to that. But more what you say here - QB alone isn’t the solution. Ben, Mitch, and Kenny have all looked bad behind almost the same line. 

The only way I replace Kenny this offseason is if we can land Williams or Maye. Otherwise we need to spend picks in the trenches. I think even if you do that you pick 10-15 which makes it easier to jump to the 4-8 spot that seems the sweet spot for QBs. Teams that go about getting a QB that way seem to have more success because there tends to be better picks. The only other way is to build the offense, keep Kenny until year 5, and hope you get a Hurts/Prescott/Wilson in a later rounds; aka a guy with a flaw you design the offense around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

fire Meyer and bring back Munchak.  Put cole on notice and if he continues to play as he has, try Herbig or even Daniels at C.   JOnes too, he better play good enough or try someone else. They can't just let players have the starting job if they aren't playing good enough.  

39 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Leal will be out. 

would we even notice? He hasn't done much IMO. Liability vs the run  but not as bad as armon watts

when will we see our DL as 99, 96 , 95, thats what will help the run defence. Add 97 when healthy,

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

...Pat Pete is about to get beat down this weekend isn't he?

I definitely love and respect Pat Pete. What he has done over his career speaks for itself.  I know you need swagger at CB, but he and the rest of the secondary haven't exactly set the back end of the defense on fire since coming here. 

papa-smurf-269f27db-fe3e-4748-9ee5-355e3

After getting beat 30-7 and 30-6 in two of the first four games, the Papa Smurf of the bunch might wanna have a few more slices of humble pie before eating the munchins.  😒We have been absolutely beat down in two games. We are putting up doughnut holes in the secondary battles.  Wr's are getting fat on our coverage or ability not to cover. Brandon, Amari, Davonte, and Nicoco are feasting on our secondary.  They are like fat kids trapped in a bakery eating up catches and yardage. 

tenor.gif

25 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I hear ya. IIRC it was you who recommended Kenny sit for the year last year and you’re right.

I did not want Kenny behind that OL and not having been able to sit and watch.  You definitely need in game reps/experience, but there is also value in sitting for some ealry.  I think Mich would have been decent and needed some confidence.  I still believe that Kenny is the future at QB.  He is taking a detour to get better a la Josh Allen as you mentioned.  

He should have from the standpoint of the offense wasn’t close. Some of us were clamoring for not taking a QB, going and building an OL. Truth is there’s few QBs who step into a bad offense and succeed. Most times the successful young QBs are stepping into a situation that is in a better place. Heck even look at Tua/TLaw. People were asking 16 games into their careers if they were it. It’s wild to think that the first 16 games of Josh Allen’s career were worse than Kenny’s. 

I think Josh is more Big Ben type (physical tools) and Kenny is a student of the game. Kenny is more mature and a better teammate thn Ben was at the same points in their career. Ben also had early success. No where to go but down. Kenny is at a point, he has no where to go except up. 

And that’s not to say Kenny is a stud held back. I don’t think he’s close to that. But more what you say here - QB alone isn’t the solution. Ben, Mitch, and Kenny have all looked bad behind almost the same line. 

The only way I replace Kenny this offseason is if we can land Williams or Maye. Otherwise we need to spend picks in the trenches. I think even if you do that you pick 10-15 which makes it easier to jump to the 4-8 spot that seems the sweet spot for QBs. Teams that go about getting a QB that way seem to have more success because there tends to be better picks. The only other way is to build the offense, keep Kenny until year 5, and hope you get a Hurts/Prescott/Wilson in a later rounds; aka a guy with a flaw you design the offense around. 

The Steelers need a franchise Center, RT, and a solid swing type. If they get these things in place, the offense will trend upward.  If they get solid blocking in the trenches they can win some games and beat up on some teams on defense.