GDT: Week 5 - Dallas @ SF

WizardHawk

12 minutes ago, D82 said:

I disagree wholeheartedly. Dak is more than a capable QB and other QBs that are viewed more favorably are more turnover prone than he is (and the numbers back this up) - but, I digress. 

I think a point has been reached where it's best that both sides separate if this team does not reach the NFC Championship Game this season - at the very least. 

Do I think it'll matter? Likely not. I think you could have Patrick Mahomes here and Dallas would still attain the same level of success it has over the last decade or so because ultimately the one problem in Dallas is the same one that has been there since 1996 - Jerry Jones and his son. They both will do just enough to ensure this franchise stays relevant enough to have the fairweather big spenders buy tickets and sell jerseys and sell the idea that "Hey, we're so close we just need yada yada yada to happen" so that people buy in. Meanwhile they'll continue to squander the careers of future Hall of Fame and really good players. 

My involvement with the team has really dropped over the last three years - used to be I'd watch a Cowboys game until the very end, no matter the score. I used to get angry and upset when they'd lose (especially in disappointing fashion). It used to throw off my entire day. 

Now, eh. I've come to expect it. I gain more enjoyment watching other teams and being a neutral party. I've kind of taken on Houston as a team to support now living in the area. If Dallas wins, great. If they lose...ah well. I've come to accept the fact that so long as the Jones's and their nepotism run this franchise, nothing will ever change - so why invest myself in it? 

Your last two paragraphs sum up where I'm at as well.  There was a time where I wouldn't miss a down of Cowboys football.  Not anymore.  It's the delusional fanbase that has worn me out.  

6 minutes ago, Northland said:

Your last two paragraphs sum up where I'm at as well.  There was a time where I wouldn't miss a down of Cowboys football.  Not anymore.  It's the delusional fanbase that has worn me out.  

Yup. And it sucks. Because I enjoy you guys...for the most part, but I've honestly had more fun this season watching other games and chatting with the guys in NFL General. And I used to hate that place. 

11 minutes ago, D82 said:

Yup. And it sucks. Because I enjoy you guys...for the most part, but I've honestly had more fun this season watching other games and chatting with the guys in NFL General. And I used to hate that place. 

As far as Dak goes let me say I like Dak.  This is nothing personal it's strictly business (apologies for the Michael Corleone Godfather reference).  We have seen the best of Dak.  His skillset will not somehow improve beyond what we have seen.  If he gets extended by Jerry, he will, over the life of the new deal be paid more. If you pay someone more their performance has to improve.  It's not going to happen with Dak.  The dilemma Dallas has is who is the heir apparent at QB?  They better hope it's Lance.  Extending Dak even with an increase in the cap will hamper the team's ability to retain quality players at other positions.  Jerry is very loyal.  Loyalty is a wonderful quality to have on a personal level.  As a GM operating under a salary cap loyalty can really hold you back.  You have to be ruthless and be prepared to cut the cord.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, D82 said:

I disagree wholeheartedly. Dak is more than a capable QB and other QBs that are viewed more favorably are more turnover prone than he is (and the numbers back this up) - but, I digress. 

I think a point has been reached where it's best that both sides separate if this team does not reach the NFC Championship Game this season - at the very least. 

Do I think it'll matter? Likely not. I think you could have Patrick Mahomes here and Dallas would still attain the same level of success it has over the last decade or so because ultimately the one problem in Dallas is the same one that has been there since 1996 - Jerry Jones and his son. They both will do just enough to ensure this franchise stays relevant enough to have the fairweather big spenders buy tickets and sell jerseys and sell the idea that "Hey, we're so close we just need yada yada yada to happen" so that people buy in. Meanwhile they'll continue to squander the careers of future Hall of Fame and really good players. 

My involvement with the team has really dropped over the last three years - used to be I'd watch a Cowboys game until the very end, no matter the score. I used to get angry and upset when they'd lose (especially in disappointing fashion). It used to throw off my entire day. 

Now, eh. I've come to expect it. I gain more enjoyment watching other teams and being a neutral party. I've kind of taken on Houston as a team to support now living in the area. If Dallas wins, great. If they lose...ah well. I've come to accept the fact that so long as the Jones's and their nepotism run this franchise, nothing will ever change - so why invest myself in it? 

I agree whole-heartedly with the Jones comment. Jerry is to insecure to hire a coach that will come in and win HIS way rather than hire a Yes man. 

I too have become accustomed to shutting off the game at halftime and turning my atrention to things I can control and take pleasure in. Cooking, playing music, working out, spending time with family.

After 25 years of success I was once accustom, and spoiled, by the idea that we are always a threat to win a title.

The past 25 years have taught me how to expect and accept failure from a team that I once took so much pleasure in supporting. In order to keep my sanity and blood pressure down I simply stopped giving a ****. 

I will complain and offer suggestions, it is my right as a fan. But I expect nothing different for the foreseeable future. Nothing changes if nothing changes. And the Jones boys aren't going anywhere.

Just now, Northland said:

As far as Dak goes let me say I like Dak.  This is nothing personal it's strictly business (apologies for the Michael Corleone Godfather reference).  We have seen the best of Dak.  His skillset will not somehow improve beyond what we have seen.  If he gets extended by Jerry, he will, over the life of the new deal be paid more. If you pay someone more their performance has to improve.  It's not going to happen with Dak.  The dilemma Dallas has is who is the heir apparent at QB?  They better hope it's Lance.  Extending Dak even with an increase in the cap will hamper the team's ability to retain quality players at other positions.  Jerry is very loyal.  Loyalty is a wonderful quality to have on a personal level.  As a GM operating under a salary cap loyalty can really hold you back.  You have to be ruthless and be prepared to cut the cord.

I think he could put up better numbers with an offensive coordinator/head coach who has moved into the 21st century. We saw it with Kellen Moore when Dallas had the #1 offense last year. 

Extending Dak/not extending Dak doesn't really matter. You can absolutely extend Dak and still work the numbers to be able to extend other key players. But this front office doesn't want to because they'd rather sell the narrative that they're strapped from being able to bring in guys to help the team move the needle. And it doesn't matter if Lance is or isn't the answer. They literally had the opportunity to make needle-moving acquisitions when Dak was still on his rookie contract - and they didn't. 

The same thing will happen with whoever the next QB is. They'll still hire coaches they can control and have a say in how things go - and the results will still be the same. 

2 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

I agree whole-heartedly with the Jones comment. Jerry is to insecure to hire a coach that will come in and win HIS way rather than hire a Yes man. 

I too have become accustomed to shutting off the game at halftime and turning my atrention to things I can control and take pleasure in. Cooking, playing music, working out, spending time with family.

After 25 years of success I was once accustom, and spoiled, by the idea that we are always a threat to win a title.

The past 25 years have taught me how to expect and accept failure from a team that I once took so much pleasure in supporting. In order to keep my sanity and blood pressure down I simply stopped giving a ****. 

I will complain and offer suggestions, it is my right as a fan. But I expect nothing different for the foreseeable future. Nothing changes if nothing changes. And the Jones boys aren't going anywhere.

And that's why my fandom has subsided tremendously over the last several years. The story repeats itself, and I'm tired of buying into and wasting my time on that.

The success of the Cowboys hinges on sheer luck to find players talent that can out talent other teams. The F.O. does not have the skill to form a championship team, so they will have to get lucky and strike gold on a HOF QB and/or HOF players in the draft. 

Bobby Wagner, Von Miller, Roquan Smith were all available at one point and the Cowboys passed on all of them for LVE. Amari Cooper got traded for a 5th and then the F.O. went on to pay Gallup for no reason.

They cut Zeke and then expected an injured Tony Pollard to be that guy. Now Pollard looks a step or two slower and they have no replacement for him because they ignored the position in the draft.

The offensive talent on this team is atrocious and it’s easy to see why this team struggles to score points. Lamb is the only one that strikes fear into a defense.

Edited by Tony7188

3 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

The success of the Cowboys hinges on sheer luck to find players talent that can out talent other teams. The F.O. does not have the skill to form a championship team, so they will have to get lucky and strike gold on a HOF QB and/or HOF players in the draft. 

Bobby Wagner, Von Miller, Roquan Smith were all available at one point and the Cowboys passed on all of them for LVE. Amari Cooper got traded for a 5th and then the F.O. went on to pay Gallup for no reason.

They cut Zeke and then expected an injured Tony Pollard to be that guy. Now Pollard looks a step or two slower and they have no replacement for him because they ignored the position in the draft.

The offensive talent on this team is atrocious and it’s easy to see why this team struggles to score points. Lamb is the only one that strikes fear into a defense.

Who'd have thought re-signing a RB after sustaining an ACL injury would be a bad idea...after they literally just did that with Gallup?

And they didn't competely ignore RB in the draft...they did get Deuce Vaughn, a 5'5 RB who just so happens to be the son of one of our scouts. Now...don't get me wrong...I like(d) Vaughn, but he's a gadget player...and one this staff has no idea how to use. Kinda like Turpin. 

48 minutes ago, Northland said:

Highly competitive until kickoff.

LMAO. So snarky and 100% on point. Well played. I applaud the effort.

As for the doom and gloom…I don’t care when Dallas loses. I didn’t lose any sleep last night.  I do care about the fashion in which they did though…non-competitive for basically 60 mins. 

People can talk until they’re blue in the face that it’s just one game, Dallas can rebound, it’s was the best team in football, etc. I get that. Believe everyone does. But, that’s beside the point. Dallas earned every bit of criticism, every shred of doubt they get for being … non-competitive. That’s my issue. They had zero chance after SF punched them in them mouth.

Edited by WizardHawk