Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

50 minutes ago, Herodreamer79 said:

It has to sting a little bit for Purdy knowing his national tv meltdown against the Ravens cost him the MVP and 1st Team All Pro honors.

He says he doesn't care, but for the first time in that game he looked tight, like the game was too big for him.

Something to think about as the 49ers get closer to the superbowl. 

Did you notice that just about every tipped Brock ball was an INT?  Did you notice that not a single tipped Lamar ball was an INT? How likely is that to happen again? Not at all. 

• Like 1

Where would you rank Purdy now? 

I'd rank Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Lamar & Stroud over him. 

I'd take Purdy over Tua, Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Kyler, Cousins, Love, Lawrence, Goff, etc 

So I'd rank Purdy 7th rn 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I'd take Purdy over Tua, Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Kyler, Cousins, Love, Lawrence, Goff, etc 

So I'd rank Purdy 7th rn 

ted-lasso-tedlassogifs.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

So I'd rank Purdy 7th rn 

Purdy is going to have to prove in the playoffs he deserves to be above Stafford. Cousins was playing such great ball and it's a shame what happened to him this season. Dak has a chance to put a stamp on his great season. 

It's all subjective obviously but a SB run will change some narratives, that's for sure. 

• Like 4

Stafford is so so good man. He's just a special thrower and very in the league can match his arm talent. Was awesome today in the loss. Purdy is not going to be able to pass him up just off one good postseason run, even if it ends in a SB. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Stafford is so so good man. He's just a special thrower and very in the league can match his arm talent. Was awesome today in the loss. Purdy is not going to be able to pass him up just off one good postseason run, even if it ends in a SB. 

I’m not saying Purdy’s above Stafford at this point, but there’s a lot more to QB than just arm talent. If there wasn’t, Darnold would be starting next Saturday. 

1 hour ago, straighthate said:

I’m not saying Purdy’s above Stafford at this point, but there’s a lot more to QB than just arm talent. If there wasn’t, Darnold would be starting next Saturday. 

Yeah you don't take Jeff George over Chad Pennington no matter the arm-talent disparity lol. Really depends on what other aspects there are to a QB's game. 

4 hours ago, straighthate said:

I mean I'm not saying that Stafford is just better because he throws the ball harder or further lol. Darnold is not able to control his throws on the same level as Stafford, nor is he able to throw with all the different arm angles. 

Purdy is going to have to do it for longer and show he can play with this type of anticipation on the big stage against good defenses. Stafford also has shown he can come back from double digit deficits in huge games. I don't know, just my opinion but one great season+playoff run is not going to be enough to rank Purdy over Stafford. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 9:59 PM, 49ersfan said:

So I'd rank Purdy 7th rn 

I was actually having this conversation yesterday. I feel really good about my top 4. But from 5 to 10, it's very volatile. 

My Top 4: 

1. Mahomes
  2. Allen
  3. Burrow
  4. Lamar

5-10 is the following in almost any order:

• Purdy - Emerging stud
  • Dak - Ferrari in the regular season and Smart Car in the postseason
  • Tua - QB purgatory and might have peaked?
  • Herbert - Coach and injuries held him back
  • Stroud - Emerging stud
  • Stafford - Still getting it done at a high level
  • Goff - Is currently peaking 
  • Hurts - See Herbert
  • Love - Need to see more next year

I think my top 10 would look like this:

1. Mahomes
  2. Allen
  3. Burrow
  4. Lamar
  5. Herbert
  6. Purdy
  7. Dak
  8. Stroud
  9. Stafford
  10. Tua

Middlekauff already nervous about paying Brock. understandably so.

its going to be interesting to see if Brock can figure out how to throw in rain. I can’t believe there’s nothing that can be done to help play outside, whether it’s training/equpment. 

this conundrum is going to be fun for th foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

IMO this is one of the many things wrong with sports media today. 

The 49ers cannot even talk to Brock about a contract extension until AFTER next season. It is against the rules to even engage. 

Can't we just live in the moment instead of wondering what happens in 2025??

At that point, we will have nearly 2.5 full seasons to make the choice. If he continues on his current trajectory, you simply work a fair deal with him to pay him top 12 but not top 5 money and then worry about everything else later. 

Brock also seems like the kind of guy who would take a moderately team friendly deal. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, N4L said:

IMO this is one of the many things wrong with sports media today. 

The 49ers cannot even talk to Brock about a contract extension until AFTER next season. It is against the rules to even engage. 

Can't we just live in the moment instead of wondering what happens in 2025??

At that point, we will have nearly 2.5 full seasons to make the choice. If he continues on his current trajectory, you simply work a fair deal with him to pay him top 12 but not top 5 money and then worry about everything else later. 

Brock also seems like the kind of guy who would take a moderately team friendly deal. 

Yeah, this is fair. It can put a damper on the moment. 

I think for QB it’s a specifically toxic conversation. 24/7 cycle +the last 20 years of buffing the offensive side (and QB) has just made it in insanely position to have nailed.

it was already the most important position in sports but now it’s bordering on baseball style contracts. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John232 said:

LMAO why??? Because of a rain game??? Where was this narrative last week or weeks ago??? 

Our boy be catching some strays today. 

Funny-1058.gif

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe