Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

• 3 weeks later...

Ranked 12th in Sando's tier rankings from NFL execs 

34 votes for tier 2, 16 for tier 3. Tier 2 is huge this year for some reason. Went from 4 - 14 lol. 

“When they have had to move the ball via dropback pass, that has been the difference between him and Jimmy (Garoppolo),” a head coach said. “Purdy has done it, and he’s done it in moments where he had to pull the ball down against Detroit and go get a first down with his legs. He has an innate feel. He has proven even when it’s not going well, he’s a quarter away from clicking in, and you’d better have a lead when he does.”

Rough games against Baltimore and Cleveland were exceptions.

“The system really helps, but he maximizes it,” a defensive coordinator said. “I’m not saying he is Kurt Warner, but he reminds me of that type of body. Not big, not a great arm, but he’s accurate, he knows when to get rid of the ball, he’s sharp, he’s a little bit better athlete than you think.”

Warner had even better talent around him while with the Rams.

“I honestly could debate calling Brock a 1,” an offensive play caller said. “He is really underrated. Kyle Shanahan deserves a ton of credit, but there still has to be somebody at the switch.”

The 16 voters placing Purdy in Tier 3 gave more credit to Shanahan and a strong supporting cast.

“I would slide him to the top of 3,” an assistant GM said. “I’m not sold that it is a universal skill set for varying systems. But for their system and their offense, they greatly capitalize on what his abilities are. That is a credit to the coaching staff.”

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Ranked 12th in Sando's tier rankings from NFL execs 

34 votes for tier 2, 16 for tier 3. Tier 2 is huge this year for some reason. Went from 4 - 14 lol. 

That feels fair to me. Almost exactly like I would (and have) described Brock for a couple of the comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer recently interviewed dozens of NFL coaches, general managers and executives and asked them to rank the quarterbacks 1 through 32. Purdy apparently received seven top-five votes and finished 10th in the voting, one spot ahead of Dak Prescott.

"Everyone thinks Purdy will play well," writes Breer. "The larger question seems to be how much credit you give the Niners’ third-year quarterback for it. That seven guys saw Purdy as one of the five best players at the position is a pretty nice step considering the doubts that have hovered as recently as last summer."

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Anywhere between 10-16 really makes a lot of sense to me (really more 10-14 for me personally, but I won't get on anyone if they have in that 15-16 spot either) 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Anywhere between 10-16 really makes a lot of sense to me (really more 10-14 for me personally, but I won't get on anyone if they have in that 15-16 spot either) 

I get that the lack of arm talent and physical attributes may sway some.

But when you step in between the lines, there have been few who have done what Brock has done since becoming the starter.

You'd be hard pressed to find many quarterbacks in the history of the league to match Brock's numbers in their first 30 starts.

He's easily Top 10 for me. 

I could argue Top 6 but it's all subjective at the end of the day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

I have Purdy 7th - Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Jackson, Stroud, Herbert ahead

I wonder if Herbert’s ranking going to take a hit this year. I say that because while he’s a good qb, he hasn’t done anything yet and that’s before Allen and Williams left. He’s getting into the Lawrence area for me. 

I have Purdy somewhere between 8-14 depending on how you break down the tiers. 

I think you can make a case for about 15 people as being ranked over Purdy and I wouldn't fight it that hard even if I don't agree with it. 

I remember last year after the Eagles/49ers game listening to an Eagles podcast by two local Philly reporters reviewing the game. The older of the two brought up a Star Trek reference saying that the Shanahan/Brock partnership is like the Borg. They're essentially one mind. Thought that was not only funny, but accurate. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe