Let's talk Bryce Young

notthatbluestuff

15 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I know Marlin Briscoe, and Doug Flutie were about the same height, but weighed 20 less pounds. Still, I swear Bryce Young is the most frail looking guy I've seen play QB in the pros. He looks like a kid out there.

He's grown slightly bulkier since, but I always go back to this photo from training camp last year; it looks like a random teenager ran onto the field and put on a helmet.

b69dd211b6fb3df945e7fde8428aafaa5b94acb3

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

He's grown slightly bulkier since, but I always go back to this photo from training camp last year; it looks like a random teenager ran onto the field and put on a helmet.

b69dd211b6fb3df945e7fde8428aafaa5b94acb3

Yes, the optics aren't great. And it sadly I wonder if this becomes a setback again for QBs that might not look the part. Because his small frame might not have anything to do with his processing, footwork, or accuracy with the rock.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

10 hours ago, Soko said:

Lol, ok.

I’ll go off the nearly identical combine measurements and give you the quarter inch deviation that that picture just might be showing.

You’re missing my point. I know there’s a difference.

If you’re saying “you have to make up for it” with other things, then you are no longer saying “5’10 is too short to play QB”. It’s a limitation, not a requirement.

At least for Murray, dude is oozing athletic talent, and it isn’t just on the football field.  Only player to ever be selected for Under Armour All American Football and Baseball teams in high school.  Played baseball for OU and in the Cape Cod summer league, and his HS performance as well as college, had Oakland draft him 9th overall in 2018 and pay him a $4.6M signing bonus.  

Just remember that Russell Wilson had outstanding accuracy as a pocket passer coming out of college and was drafted in the 3rd round.  Drew Brees had amazing accuracy as a pocket passer and was drafted in the 2nd round.

At some point, in the NFL, you must be a pocket passer.

• Like 2

To be fair, I don't think it makes sense to fully judge QB's until they've been in the league for 3 or 4 years.

It's a massive adjustment learning more complex playbooks, dealing with the speed of the game, the different level of size and athleticism etc.

Especially if a QB is drafted to a team that hasn't been successful and doesn't have a ton of talent to surround themselves with.

8 minutes ago, DawgX said:

No way.

Carolina isn't going anywhere no matter who the QB is. Might as well give Young as many reps as possible and see if he can improve.

Worst/best case scenario, the number one pick.  

Bryce looks even worse than last year.  He is one of the absolute worst QBs I have ever seen.  I can't believe he's this bad.  Daniel Jones looks like Johnny Unitas by comparison.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Bryce looks even worse than last year.  He is one of the absolute worst QBs I have ever seen.  I can't believe he's this bad.  Daniel Jones looks like Johnny Unitas by comparison.

HOW has he ended up looking worse? Didn't the Panthers bring in talent to help him? Isn't Canales some QB guru?

3 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

HOW has he ended up looking worse? Didn't the Panthers bring in talent to help him? Isn't Canales some QB guru?

Hmm.  Well, let me correct myself.  He doesn't look *worse*, but last year there was the feeling the team sucked around him (which it did) and we needed better players around him to get a better idea of where he is in development.  But now that reality has sunk in, it is easier to accept we are watching one of the worst QBs in NFL history.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Where do the Panthers even go with #1? 

Trade down and pray Arch comes out in 26?