Week 6: VIKINGS (1-4) at Bears (1-4)

swede700

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

who gets the "game ball" for today?

While Hunter had a nice game, I think you have to give it to Hicks for the INT and the fumble return...as well as his leadership on defense. 

I'd like to give whatever the opposite of "game ball" is to the PA Announcer, who pronounced Josh Metellus' name wrong (kept pronouncing it as Mettle-us) and also, for whatever reason, did the "Bear Down, It's Third Down" chant on the Vikings' final drive when all they had to do was run the ball to run out the clock.  Let it go at that point, bob. 

• Like 3

Well @JDBrocks, I can say after attending Soldier Field yesterday, it's still better than the Metrodome was.  While it's certainly probably not as fancy as some expect these days, the atmosphere was good, the fans were certainly more accommodating than those I experienced in Seattle (which had the worst acting fans of the road games I've attended)...maybe that's because of our shared misery at what we had just watched, and the sight lines were pretty good, although because of the angle I was at, it often seemed like it was a 12-yd play only to find out it had only gone 3 yds.  😂

I had the fortune of sitting right next to the Vikings' tunnel, so I got to see the players and coaches enter and exit the field from fairly close.  I also saw Gabe Henderson, Ben Leber and Hawkey.  I could see Cousins wasn't real happy with himself at the end of the game as he pretty much kept his head down walking into the tunnel.   

Edited by swede700
  • Like 5

I will say once again, as I've seen pretty much every week...the officiating is awful. 

The Vikings got the benefit of the call on Cousins' ill-advised backward toss, because I believe the Bears' player recovered the ball in-bounds, regardless how many replays I saw that it could have gone either way.  But, Cousins also got screwed on that ridiculous intentional grounding call.  That was absolutely ridiculous. 

In the previous post, I also neglected to mention that we saw our guy Kevin Warren as well...the group of us gave him a warm welcome and he acknowledged it.  It was pretty cool. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Clearing the absolute lowest of bars 😆

Well, I've only had the benefit of attending 4 different NFL stadiums (Seahawks Stadium, as it was called at the time, the Metrodome, Arrowhead and now Soldier Field), so not much to go off of either.  😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robb_K said:

They SHOULD have been playing their young players to get them more game experience, and to see what they can do, to make better decisions on who should stay or be replaced next season.

You wanted to the Vikings to do this in a game that was decided by one score?

Vikings offense just 2-13 on 3rd downs (15.38%)

Vikings time-of-possession 24:49 (Bears 35:11)

Vikings offense had 6 opportunities to bury this Bears team and couldn't get it done. 4 of 6 Vikings 2nd half possessions ended in a 3-and-out. The other two were the missed FG (should've punted) and running out the clock.

Most weeks the above stats are a recipe for losing football. They squeaked out one of the ugliest wins I've seen from a Vikings team in awhile. However, a win is a win, and there are 7 teams in the NFC with 3 wins.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Any idea why Booth replaced Blackmon? Did he get hurt?

No idea...I saw him out there...and believe I saw him on occasion lining up against Moore (I think he mostly was lining up against Mooney though) and was immediately nervous.  He came out of it okay though, for the most part.

FWIW, if you had listened to PA earlier this season on how he's never seen Fields have "the swivel", I can verify that that is true.  There were several times yesterday while Fields was in the game that he missed WRs wide open downfield because he wasn't able to go through progressions turning his head around.  In fact, at least on two of the sacks if he had just turned his head around, he would have seen wide open WRs on the other side of the field.  Instead, he scrambled around the opposite way and got sacked.

Edited by swede700

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

No idea...I saw him out there...and believe I saw him on occasion lining up against Moore (I think he mostly was lining up against Mooney though) and was immediately nervous.  He came out of it okay though, for the most part.

Are you talking about Booth? I looked and saw that Blackmon only had 1 defensive play

I love everything about this play. Yes, it's against a weak opponent, but these guys are all out there playing for each other. All of the DL made sure Hicks was going to scoop and immediately went into convoy mode. Hunter kept running all the way to the endzone to finish blocking. I'll bet this is awesome in film review.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

While Hunter had a nice game, I think you have to give it to Hicks for the INT and the fumble return...as well as his leadership on defense. 

I'd like to give whatever the opposite of "game ball" is to the PA Announcer, who pronounced Josh Metellus' name wrong (kept pronouncing it as Mettle-us) and also, for whatever reason, did the "Bear Down, It's Third Down" chant on the Vikings' final drive when all they had to do was run the ball to run out the clock.  Let it go at that point, bob. 

I'm shocked we didn't get any "Hunter Smith" calls yesterday.