2023 NFL Trade Deadline Discussion

49ersfan

Kyle Pitts and Drake London have 91 of Ridder's 214 targets. 42%.

Pitts is at 41 (19%) - converting 61% of his targets into catches. (Pitts also has 3 drops based on film. So... 68.2% have hit him in the hands). Pitts is pacing 720 yards and 3 TDs on the year.

London at 50 (23%) - converting 64% of his targets into catches. (London has 1 drop based on film. So... 66% have hit him in the hands). London is pacing 930 yards and 5 TDs on the year.

I'm missing how them being the most targeted guys in the offense is an issue of not getting them the ball enough. Since you want to use stats. Both are pacing for solid years. Stats don't tell the whole story here, either, again, the film shows that they could both improve with their separation and route running as well.

The classic “watch the film” argument. As someone who watched what was described as “one of Ridder’s best performances” (turnovers apparently weren’t his fault again) by a certain Atlanta fan…I gotta say nearly every target to Kyle Pitts was off target requiring Pitts to make some sort of acrobatic adjustment to either catch the ball or make an attempt to catch the ball. Speaking of film. It’s great that it’s so easy to come by in this day and age.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

The classic “watch the film” argument. As someone who watched what was described as “one of Ridder’s best performances” (turnovers apparently weren’t his fault again) by a certain Atlanta fan…I gotta say nearly every target to Kyle Pitts was off target requiring Pitts to make some sort of acrobatic adjustment to either catch the ball or make an attempt to catch the ball. Speaking of film. It’s great that it’s so easy to come by in this day and age.

"No, not THAT film, watch THIS film... no not THOSE stats, they don't tell the whole story. Look at THESE stats instead."

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Gross. Dude looks totally disinterested because he knows Jonnu Smith is TE1. 

Anyways, I don’t want to make this another Atlanta Falcons thread. Pitts deserves better than this, but I doubt Atlanta considers moving him, unfortunately. 

52 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

As an outsider to this conversation who has no skin in the game, this video you linked just shows me what scar was saying...that it's not like Pitts has been constantly wide open and just getting missed.

It also shows me Pitts running quite a diverse set of routes, from many different positions, from all parts of the field. We don't know what the read progressions are to really be able to judge is he's a "focal point" of the offense from a design standpoint, but from a just being on the field and being utilized and multiple ways standpoints, sure seems like they want him to be. It also seems like they want him to be an all around weapon and Jonnu as a more traditional TE, which seems to be working for Jonnu.

The takeaways from the account posting the video are all fantasy centric and really not relevant. He's probably not a good fantasy asset, but it sure seems like Atlanta thinks he's a good asset for their offense, and they're giving him the opportunities.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

As an outsider to this conversation who has no skin in the game, this video you linked just shows me what scar was saying...that it's not like Pitts has been constantly wide open and just getting missed.

It also shows me Pitts running quite a diverse set of routes, from many different positions, from all parts of the field. We don't know what the read progressions are to really be able to judge is he's a "focal point" of the offense from a design standpoint, but from a just being on the field and being utilized and multiple ways standpoints, sure seems like they want him to be. It also seems like they want him to be an all around weapon and Jonnu as a more traditional TE, which seems to be working for Jonnu.

The takeaways from the account posting the video are all fantasy centric and really not relevant. He's probably not a good fantasy asset, but it sure seems like Atlanta thinks he's a good asset for their offense, and they're giving him the opportunities.

Thank you. Also, he's been targeted 20% of the time in the offense. IDK how that's not a focal point. He's the top target outside of Drake London.

Nate Tice had a good breakdown of his targets in the Houston game.

I do think that people need to look more at Pitts at the start of the year his troubles. Not saying that his situation will ever be great with Ridder, I don't know....but I really think that Pitts just wasn't 100% to start the season for whatever reason. Or he just wasn't into it. 

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

I do think that people need to look more at Pitts at the start of the year his troubles. Not saying that his situation will ever be great with Ridder, I don't know....but I really think that Pitts just wasn't 100% to start the season for whatever reason. Or he just wasn't into it. 

He was shaking rust off from the MCL injury the first 4 weeks. Target share hasn't really changed, but he and Ridder seem to have connected a lot better the last 3 weeks.

First 4: 11/20 for 121 yards and 0 TDs (yearly pace for this is 514 yards and 0 TDs)

Last 3: 14/21 for 177 yards and 1 TD. (yearly pace for this is 1,000 yards and 6 TDs)

But again, what do I know? I'm just a homer.

Edited by scar988
fixing math

Seems to be a lot of side plots to the original discussion in this thread about potential trades regarding Ridder's level of play and otherwise. But back to the original point, the more I've read and watched it's pretty clear to be that Pitts is not and should not be a potential trade candidate. I don't think ATL has any plans to move him and they clearly want him to be a big part of their offense, and their QB's development.

How common are offensive skill positions moves at the deadline? At this point of the season, it might not be as attractive to buyers because of how long long it may take for acclimation. It's a little different for a position like pass rusher where you can probably hit the ground running. If there's big deadline deals, my bet is that pass rushers is what will be moved.

16 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Seems to be a lot of side plots to the original discussion in this thread about potential trades regarding Ridder's level of play and otherwise. But back to the original point, the more I've read and watched it's pretty clear to be that Pitts is not and should not be a potential trade candidate. I don't think ATL has any plans to move him and they clearly want him to be a big part of their offense, and their QB's development.

How common are offensive skill positions moves at the deadline? At this point of the season, it might not be as attractive to buyers because of how long long it may take for acclimation. It's a little different for a position like pass rusher where you can probably hit the ground running. If there's big deadline deals, my bet is that pass rushers is what will be moved.

Uh well two of the three moves I can think of so far this trade deadline have been WRs (third is safety) in Mecole and Chase Claypool.

Last year also had Claypool and had stash plays like Calvin Ridley and two of the marquee trades with Christian McCafferey and TJ Hockenson. Random disappointments moved too like Kadarius Toney.

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Uh well two of the three moves I can think of so far this trade deadline have been WRs (third is safety) in Mecole and Chase Claypool.

Last year also had Claypool and had stash plays like Calvin Ridley and two of the marquee trades with Christian McCafferey and TJ Hockenson. Random disappointments moved too like Kadarius Toney.

Ah yeah that's a bunch you're right. This year's Hardman and Claypool trades are definitely not splash trades but last year there was quite a few. My mistake.

11 hours ago, scar988 said:

Holy hell dude. You can buzz off too. He’s not underutilized this year. He’s been getting the rust off after a season ending knee injury last year and is building chemistry with Ridder. I get you don’t understand the offense, but he’s a key part of it. 

The offense that features Tyler Allgier over three top 10 picks in Pitts, Bijan, and London to get 7 wins per year. 

Yikes