2023 NFL Trade Deadline Discussion

49ersfan

1 minute ago, Superduperman said:

Yeah, even some other Lions fans disagree with me on this, but I feel the WR corps needs that tall, physical guy who can win contested matchups on the boundary, get deep down the sideline, and beat press coverage. Amon-Ra owns the middle of the field, Reynolds is excellent as a #3, Z receiver type who can run medium routes. I'm skeptical Jameson will ever be dependable enough to be a key part, but he and Kalif will be wild cards that you can work in here and there. It's the role Marvin Jones currently has that needs to be upgraded, they should cut him

Yep, color me one of those people who disagree with you. We've scored 30+ points 3 times this year without this elite X. The ones who would be available (Adams, Sutton) aren't worth the contract and draft picks they demand given the production Reynolds is giving us this year.

13 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Hill, Diggs, Julio Jones, Elijah Moore, Mims among others. WRs do it every year it seems. 

Majority of these guys knew they werent going to be paid or werent getting playing time or enough targets....

Theres also a difference between a 32 year old Julio Jones going into like the final year of his contract then a 24 year old JJ who we will make the highest paid WR in history whos just entering his prime. 

A player turning down a contract from a team who will give them the richest contract at their respective position in the history of the NFL because they "might suck" in 4 years is unheard of.

Edited by Sad People

6 minutes ago, Sad People said:

Majority of these guys knew they werent going to be paid or werent getting playing time or enough targets....

Theres also a difference between a 32 year old Julio Jones going into like the final year of his contract then a 24 year old JJ who we will make the highest paid WR in history whos just entering his prime. 

A player turning down a contract from a team who will give them the richest contract at their respective position in the history of the NFL because they "might suck" in 4 years is unheard of.

Thinking you're going to get 3 more years out of JJ without paying him that contract would be a shock. 

15 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Hill, Diggs, Julio Jones, Elijah Moore, Mims among others. WRs do it every year it seems. 

Most of these aren't really comparable. 

Hill was a contract issue (Right now I'm not going to assume that there is any real contract issues with Jefferson...assuming that they just didn't get it done..but if there are true contract issues, that changes everything). 

Mims and Moore weren't playing and getting targets. 

Diggs is probably the closest as he had a somewhat tumultuous relationship with the vikings / Kirk it seems like. Even Julio, despite having a similar concept, isn't really all that comparable as he was a 30+ year old playing on a team that was entering a rebuild. That's not uncommon, but also not the Jefferson situation currently. 

There's nothing that supports that JJ is looking for a way out right now. I'm not sure where it's being pulled from outside of, "well, other receivers have done it in the past". I feel like we should at least wait for a removal of stuff from social media before having a real discussion on JJ demanding his way out. 

He may certainly do it, but I think there's nothing that suggests that right now. 

17 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Yep, color me one of those people who disagree with you. We've scored 30+ points 3 times this year without this elite X. The ones who would be available (Adams, Sutton) aren't worth the contract and draft picks they demand given the production Reynolds is giving us this year.

Now, I didn't say an elite X receiver, not a name player who needs to get paid like one, just a guy who qualifies from a size-speed standpoint. My example in the off season was Josh Palmer. The Chargers probably won't trade him, of course, but that's the level I'm looking at.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Thinking you're going to get 3 more years out of JJ without paying him that contract would be a shock. 

Well he is under team control for 3 more years at the end of the day.

So he can honor his rookie contract and sign the franchise tags or he can sit out and not get paid at all. And i dont think this will happen at all.

Money is the end all be all in the NFL, it is the judge, jury, and executioner.

No player would ever turn down the richest deal in history and their position because the team might suck in 4 years.

Edited by Sad People

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Bring Hunter to SF please!!!!!!

Would love him or even Chase Young, but I think Gregory was our move. With only 3 weeks until the deadline, I'm not sure if we will know whether or not he's cooked by then. 

So I'm turning my attention to cornerback and maybe offensive line? 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Most of these aren't really comparable. 

At the moment, sure. I think I was just countering to the point that "it never happens in the NFL" and those were all unique situations that led to their leaving. JJ could have a new, unique one. 

Hill was a contract issue (Right now I'm not going to assume that there is any real contract issues with Jefferson...assuming that they just didn't get it done..but if there are true contract issues, that changes everything). 

Again, it's all speculation. Right now, yes, no issues it seems. 

Mims and Moore weren't playing and getting targets. 

True, I was just thinking of WRs that demanded trades. 

Diggs is probably the closest as he had a somewhat tumultuous relationship with the vikings / Kirk it seems like. Even Julio, despite having a similar concept, isn't really all that comparable as he was a 30+ year old playing on a team that was entering a rebuild. That's not uncommon, but also not the Jefferson situation currently. 

There's nothing that supports that JJ is looking for a way out right now. I'm not sure where it's being pulled from outside of, "well, other receivers have done it in the past". I feel like we should at least wait for a removal of stuff from social media before having a real discussion on JJ demanding his way out. 

I don't think he is either. I was just flabbergasted by the "no way it would happen" attitude of it all.

He may certainly do it, but I think there's nothing that suggests that right now. 

I definitely don't diagree. Things change I think was the point to all of it.

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Would love him or even Chase Young, but I think Gregory was our move. With only 3 weeks until the deadline, I'm not sure if we will know whether or not he's cooked by then. 

So I'm turning my attention to cornerback and maybe offensive line? 

I mean Gregory was a move that we made with essentially giving up nothing and are only paying him the vet minimum.

I would love for a OL or CB move, but you know this team is not going to do that lol. They will value pass rush over ANYTHING. Hunter is the one I want the most. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

At the moment, sure. I think I was just countering to the point that "it never happens in the NFL" and those were all unique situations that led to their leaving. JJ could have a new, unique one. 

Again, it's all speculation. Right now, yes, no issues it seems. 

True, I was just thinking of WRs that demanded trades. 

I don't think he is either. I was just flabbergasted by the "no way it would happen" attitude of it all.

I definitely don't diagree. Things change I think was the point to all of it.

Gotcha. Sounds like you and I are pretty much in line with one another. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Give it a year after you trade away Kirk Cousins and the team is in the toilet. Wide Receivers are divas all the time, the team will be and now you won't even have a good QB. Jefferson is due for a pay day anyway, why not force it to be on a contending team.

If they really fall of the cliff I can't imagine Caleb saying no to throwing to jj