2023 NFL Trade Deadline Discussion

49ersfan

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

No value whatsoever. Even with Washington wanting to rebuild, he's just 24 and has the potential to be a future building block. Letting go that sort of talent for a 3rd, whether it be a comp pick or an actual trade, is selling low. If they had been able to net something more valuable, sure - but if that was their best offer, they would've been better served keeping him and negotiating an extension.

He's a good young pass rusher who has finally been healthy enough to start flashing his potential. Those aren't the types of pieces you just part with (especially below value), even if you're rebuilding - they're the ones you build off of.

I understood moving on from Sweat... he was three years older, had far less upside/growth potential, and fetched a fair price. Conversely, the Chase move feels like they were committed to moving him no matter what, and the 49ers were able to take advantage of their desperation to do so before the deadline.

As a Cowboy fan, I’m glad the Commanders are tanking. Dak likely has an easier time of it. However, SF looms in the playoffs. My only hope is both us and them go in as 5 and 6 seeds and we don’t see them until the NFC CG. I’d rather play Philli in Philli.

19 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

As a Cowboy fan, I’m glad the Commanders are tanking. Dak likely has an easier time of it. However, SF looms in the playoffs. My only hope is both us and them go in as 5 and 6 seeds and we don’t see them until the NFC CG. I’d rather play Philli in Philli.

As a Cowboys fan are you really content yet again that Jerry Jones and Stephen actually believe "yet again" the 2023 Dallas Cowboys are without a need, have Zero holes to be addressed?

Thought not! Thank you Jones's for being You!

50 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Okay. Given that you wouldn’t have taken any deal that was out there at this deadline, what would have been your next move?

I don't really care what Washington does, but it's embarrassing to pretty much get similar compensation as you would for just letting him walk for nothing.  If you can't get better than what you'd get for keeping him DONT TRADE HIM!

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

It's pretty clear the NFL can't make no-brainer decisions the day of the trade deadline. 

Talk about punishing the entire fanbase with this missed call. 

Looking at the quick list of games, I bet CBS is protecting the Lions/Chargers and Fox might be protecting SF/Jacksonville.

Which would leave you with CLE/BAL which I guess you could do or you just draw the NY and Vegas markets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasperX22 said:

I don't really care what Washington does, but it's embarrassing to pretty much get similar compensation as you would for just letting him walk for nothing.  If you can't get better than what you'd get for keeping him DONT TRADE HIM!

Why are so many people saying this? 

This only applies if Washington does nothing in free agency. They’ve got over $90M in cap space. 

If you’re of the opinion that Washington should’ve tagged/signed Young long term, then fine (although I’d debate the intelligence of that considering the guy’s never been healthy or productive), but the likelihood of Young walking and netting them a 2025 third is really slim. The only way that happens is if the Commanders go out and don’t spend any money, which given the cap space, seems unlikely.

• Like 1

I don’t really get the injury angle here personally. Maybe I’m missing something, but from what I gather he’s had one bad injury that took a long time to come back from. It doesn’t seem like he’s a guy that’s had a rash of injuries, but rather a guy who got unlucky with one bad one.

I love this move as a Niners fan and I hope we can make this work long term.

I think my favorite move is the Seahawks for Leonard Williams at only like 600k for the year. I get they paid a big draft capital price for it, but squeezing him in with like zero cap implication is such a needed push for a somewhat surprising playoff run. You're going to likely face CMC, Swift and the Tush, Pollard, and Kamara or Bijan in the playoffs and I doubt the Seahawks are really favored against any of the likely playoff teams. Someone like Leonard could be enough to make the Seahawks be a real surprise team. I think he'll be a really great fit and I wouldn't be surprised at an extension being worked out but if they are hugely outbid at least they recoup a third in comp picks maybe. I really like Ezra Cleveland to the Jaguars as well, but I think that makes them a more functional team rather than a playoff edge beater. I don't get why the Bears went for Sweat over Chase Young, like I like that they went and got an edge rusher because it's important to have but Chase is younger and an easy sell that you have a superstar to build around. Like if the Bears the topish pick of the second and got Young for topish pick of the third I'd like it so much more. The trade that could have been that I'm most sad wasn't realized is Josh Jacobs to the Ravens, I don't care what we'd have gotten back I'd just have loved that for Josh.

3 hours ago, Trojan said:

I think my favorite move is the Seahawks for Leonard Williams at only like 600k for the year. I get they paid a big draft capital price for it, but squeezing him in with like zero cap implication is such a needed push for a somewhat surprising playoff run. You're going to likely face CMC, Swift and the Tush, Pollard, and Kamara or Bijan in the playoffs and I doubt the Seahawks are really favored against any of the likely playoff teams. Someone like Leonard could be enough to make the Seahawks be a real surprise team. I think he'll be a really great fit and I wouldn't be surprised at an extension being worked out but if they are hugely outbid at least they recoup a third in comp picks maybe. I really like Ezra Cleveland to the Jaguars as well, but I think that makes them a more functional team rather than a playoff edge beater. I don't get why the Bears went for Sweat over Chase Young, like I like that they went and got an edge rusher because it's important to have but Chase is younger and an easy sell that you have a superstar to build around. Like if the Bears the topish pick of the second and got Young for topish pick of the third I'd like it so much more. The trade that could have been that I'm most sad wasn't realized is Josh Jacobs to the Ravens, I don't care what we'd have gotten back I'd just have loved that for Josh.

In retrospect, the Seahawks seemingly over paid considering the Commanders were giving players away like candy.  It's not like Williams is elite at anything.  He's a solid run defender and will help the Seahawks, but not really a needle mover.

5 hours ago, Soko said:

Why are so many people saying this? 

This only applies if Washington does nothing in free agency. They’ve got over $90M in cap space. 

If you’re of the opinion that Washington should’ve tagged/signed Young long term, then fine (although I’d debate the intelligence of that considering the guy’s never been healthy or productive), but the likelihood of Young walking and netting them a 2025 third is really slim. The only way that happens is if the Commanders go out and don’t spend any money, which given the cap space, seems unlikely.

Chase Young finishes the year with say 10 sacks.  You don't think Washington is getting more than that in th off-season? Teams pay for premier pass rushers.  What is the likelihood the Commanders snag a better player than Young with the 90ish over pick? Less than 1%? It's not a good look and not good asset management.  Same ol Commanders regardless of who the owner is.

7 hours ago, CasperX22 said:

Chase Young finishes the year with say 10 sacks.  You don't think Washington is getting more than that in th off-season? Teams pay for premier pass rushers.  What is the likelihood the Commanders snag a better player than Young with the 90ish over pick? Less than 1%? It's not a good look and not good asset management.  Same ol Commanders regardless of who the owner is.

That’s fine if you think so, but I was responding to your comment on the comp pick. If Washington receives a future third round comp pick for Chase Young (had they not traded him), then they have much bigger problems because it means they didn’t finish the offseason with any money spent. The likelihood of that is very low.

On 10/26/2023 at 3:01 PM, scar988 said:

I think he's already more than a low-end starter. Though, that's mainly because there's a LOT of bad QBs in the NFL right now. I just think he has the potential to be a top 10 QB in the NFL as early as next year.

It hasn't been long & this has already aged like milk left out over the weekend. 

3 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

It hasn't been long & this has already aged like milk left out over the weekend. 

F932p1oWwAEZxtW?format=png&name=medium

20th in ANY/A right now. Pretty good metric for all-around QB play. Looking at the order of the QBs, it's pretty accurate to film too. People here acting like he's Zach Wilson bad crack me up. But the turnovers were what has been killing him more than anything else. That's what probably got him benched for this week (though, it could very well be he starts again sooner than people here think.)

6 minutes ago, scar988 said:

F932p1oWwAEZxtW?format=png&name=medium

20th in ANY/A right now. Pretty good metric for all-around QB play. Looking at the order of the QBs, it's pretty accurate to film too. People here acting like he's Zach Wilson bad crack me up. But the turnovers were what has been killing him more than anything else. That's what probably got him benched for this week (though, it could very well be he starts again sooner than people here think.)

Ya but that's pretty much just Burrow (who will lap him soon I'm sure) followed by a series of really bad QBs. I mean, he's still after Gardner Minshew & Justin Fields. 

I'd say that lends more credibility to your statement of league-wide QB play, but it does nothing for me to suggest he has top 10 QB potential. 

Just now, SaveOurSonics said:

Ya but that's pretty much just Burrow (who will lap him soon I'm sure) followed by a series of really bad QBs. I mean, he's still after Gardner Minshew & Justin Fields. 

I'd say that lends more credibility to your statement of league-wide QB play, but it does nothing for me to suggest he has top 10 QB potential. 

That's where film study comes into play. I've seen him make some killer throws. I've also seen some off-target stuff. His real issue is down in the red zone where he seemingly gets the yips. He also has had some turnover issues but part of that is due to line play and part of that is due to bad luck. I still think we see him in the last 7 games at some point. Probably sooner rather than later.

Just now, scar988 said:

That's where film study comes into play. I've seen him make some killer throws. I've also seen some off-target stuff. His real issue is down in the red zone where he seemingly gets the yips. He also has had some turnover issues but part of that is due to line play and part of that is due to bad luck. I still think we see him in the last 7 games at some point. Probably sooner rather than later.

I'm not much of a box score scout. I have NFL Sunday Ticket with 2 70" TVs that can quad-screen via YouTubeTV 😂 I like to hone in & watch specific players. Kyle Pitts has long been one of those players, so I've seen plenty of Ridder to know that what you say is right. He makes several really good throws. He also makes far too many drive killing throws. Lots of guys can do that. I'm not sure why the Atlanta fanbase is particularly enamored with this one.