Is Deshaun Watson.. load managing?

General Tso

22 minutes ago, Soko said:

I don’t think this is true at all. Guys play injured all the time, and it’s not uncommon for those injuries to be exacerbated as a result. Guys re-injure or re-aggravate injuries and ailments. 

Like, Burrow was limping around for the first month of the season. He was cleared, otherwise he wouldn’t have been out there. That doesn’t mean his ankle couldn’t get worse, or that his bad ankle couldn’t turn into an even worse ankle. It certainly didn’t mean he was playing pain free or without limitation.

They said Watson doesn’t have full juice on his arm right now, as a result of the shoulder issue. According to the team, he’s put out there that he’s not good enough to go. I don’t see why there needs to be more to it than that. We could guess and debate that sure, maybe he could tough it out…but it’s just conjecture. 

Not everyone is Matthew Stafford throwing a game winning TD pass on a separated shoulder…some guys are Jay Cutler on an exercise bike in the NFCCG. 

Burrow had a strained calf, he certainly could have made his injury worse by playing through it.

Watson has a bruise. If he gets hit in the shoulder it would hurt but it wouldn't turn the bruise into something else like turning a strained muscle into a torn muscle. He was cleared with the doctors saying he couldn't further damage anything if he were to play.

If you have a bruise you are probably going to be cleared to play unless it's a bruised internal organ. 100% of players who are involved in contact plays get bruised.

Maybe it would limit his effectiveness, there would only be one way to find out. They could also limit routes run to accommodate him. None of that happened because Watson didn't want to test it in a game to the team's surprise.

It doesn't make sense to at least try. Okay, it was sore so maybe take an additional 2 weeks off (3 weeks does wonders for bruises) by skipping the Ravens game. This one doesn't make sense (I'm happy he isn't playing). Why not, after seeing how the rookie did, see if you can perform better than him and give your team the best chance to win?

Go out, make a few throws, maybe grab your shoulder and say nah, I tried but I have limited pain tolerance. I don't know why he wouldn't at least try 3 weeks after his boo boo.

P.S. I got my flu and Covid shots today and haven't stopped crying about my shoulder pain. Still typing brother, still typing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Jared Goff is a humble. Took getting traded as an opportunity and has played hard to re-establish his career and earn everything he is given. 

Watson is an entitled punk, who's elicited no remorse for his actions. He's constantly plays the victim and has no incentive to do anything with his contract. He's shown who he is.

That part of him that chased greatness went out the window the moment Cleveland sold their souls for him. 

The only people who went hard after Goff were also people who were just unreasonably high on McVay and thought he could do no wrong. The marriage there was broken, but not because either party somehow sucked. Goff bouncing back shouldn't really be a surprise, other than just how quickly it happened considering where he was sent. 

As for Watson, the part of him that chased greatness didn't go out the window when the Browns sold their souls for him though. That part of him was long gone as soon as he walked off the stage following the press conference where he cried about being elated and privileged that Houston paid him big bucks, only to never play another down of football for them. Biggest con job I've ever seen- and people genuinely tried to defend him for that until he also proved just as slimy off the field. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Cleared means he can't do more harm, so it isn't playing it safe.

It could be that they believe PJ is better than a 80-95% Watson

or

Watson doesn't want to play so they are putting it on themselves so no one thinks ill of Watson.

I know, neither of my theories makes any sense. Which is why we are here wondering wtf is going on.

Medically he is fine.
Legally we believe he is fine.
Emotionally he is dead.

Maybe the powers that be realize it wasn't going well and are looking for an excuse as to why things failed (proactively of course, the season is still young) so they can keep their paychecks.

This situation and what they are sharing surely opens the gate for conspiracy theories. So let them begin.

The biggest indicator here about him is that he skipped his regularly scheduled press conference Wednesday and the team enabled him. Huge red flag and it’s been crickets since.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

Question is, how does or will Watson’s decision effect the locker room?

It’s not uncommon to hear players complain about other players not willing to play through injury.

It depends on which insiders you believe as things have been mixed. If you see some subtleties about how Stefanski has spoken about Njoku compared to Watson, that says the coaching staff is frustrated. Other reports indicate the organization being patient with Watson, but they don’t have a choice. There are some rumors of upset players and there are rumors about the opposite.

Short of Myles or Ward coming out and saying something concrete, I don’t think it’s possible to gauge at this point.

5 minutes ago, General Tso said:

What's to stop Deshaun from sitting out the rest of the year "because of pain"?

Nothing?

The team already stated that they won't play him if there is pain.

Seems pretty normal for football... right?

If the season continues to go sour there may be other players that experience pain and choose not to play, precedence is set.

• Like 3

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

Nothing?

The team already stated that they won't play him if there is pain.

Seems pretty normal for football... right?

If the season continues to go sour there may be other players that experience pain and choose not to play, precedence is set.

Those players don't have guaranteed contracts 🤔

• Like 1

Stefanksi is gonna get fired but what  HC prospect worth worth a damn is gonna want the job next year and be tied to washed Deshaun the next 2 years? 

Either keep him, or hire a transitional coach for the 24-25 seasons then start a true rebuild.

Edited by CP3MVP

9 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Stefanksi is gonna get fired but what  HC prospect worth worth a damn is gonna want the job next year and be tied to washed Deshaun the next 2 years? 

Either keep him, or hire a transitional coach for the 24-25 seasons then start a true rebuild.

I was sure that Bill O'Brian would been the head coach of the Browns next year if the Pats offense were not that bad