The MVP race

Steelersfan43

So after this weekend, I don't understand how Dak CAN'T be in the lead and a hair above Purdy. 

It's still an open race this late in the season and someone can make a run at it with four games left. But as of right now, Dak and Purdy are your 1a and 1b.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So after this weekend, I don't understand how Dak CAN'T be in the lead and a hair above Purdy. 

It's still an open race this late in the season and someone can make a run at it with four games left. But as of right now, Dak and Purdy are your 1a and 1b.

I think Dak and the Cowboys need to win the NFC East for him to have a chance at MVP, and the Cowboys have got a tougher remaining schedule than the Eagles.

If the Cowboys don't win their division, I think Purdy ends up getting it. I still think Tyreek deserves it most, though.

I kinda want it to go to hill if he breaks the WR record. We got a glimpse of the Dolphins offense without him and it wasn't pretty.

That said, they won't give it to him over a QB so I'd guess it's down to Dak vs Purdy unless Allen or Mahommes goes super saiyan over the final 4.

27 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

I just don't see the case for Lamar. I'd give it to Purdy, Dak or even Tyreke over him. 

He has 21 total touchdowns (16 passing-5 rushing) which is 13th among NFL QBs. Don't the Ravens have like the #1 defense too? 

Unless he pops off and the Ravens win out, I just don't see it. 

The case for Lamar is he's the best and most valuable player on the AFC's (arguably the NFL's) best team, and he's having a tremendous year despite not putting up touchdown numbers because Gus Edwards has vultured about a million touchdowns this year from Lamar.

Like others have said, the Christmas matchup between SF/BAL is going to determine who wins MVP most likely. If one of those guys produces a heck of a game, they'll win. If neither play great and Dak continues what he's doing, Dak will win.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The case for Lamar is he's the best and most valuable player on the AFC's (arguably the NFL's) best team, and he's having a tremendous year despite not putting up touchdown numbers because Gus Edwards has vultured about a million touchdowns this year from Lamar.

Like others have said, the Christmas matchup between SF/BAL is going to determine who wins MVP most likely. If one of those guys produces a heck of a game, they'll win. If neither play great and Dak continues what he's doing, Dak will win.

The Ravens are the 1 seed (currently) because they have a great defense, a great run game and Lamar Jackson. I don't love the argument of "well the Ravens are the #1 seed and he's the most valuable player on the Ravens so therefore he's the MVP".

I'm sorry but being 13th/32 QBs for total touchdowns and 17th/32 in passing TDs isn't going to win you MVP. If he goes nuclear the next four games possible but it'll go to Purdy or Dak unless both crumble. 

And maybe we're agreeing to a certain degree. I think Lamar is definitely in the top 3/4 MVP QB candidates. I just think there's a big gap between Dak/Purdy and the next candidate. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

The Ravens are the 1 seed (currently) because they have a great defense, a great run game and Lamar Jackson. I don't love the argument of "well the Ravens are the #1 seed and he's the most valuable player on the Ravens so therefore he's the MVP".

I'm sorry but being 13th/32 QBs for total touchdowns and 17th/32 in passing TDs isn't going to win you MVP. If he goes nuclear the next four games possible but it'll go to Purdy or Dak unless both crumble. 

And maybe we're agreeing to a certain degree. I think Lamar is definitely in the top 3/4 MVP QB candidates. I just think there's a big gap between Dak/Purdy and the next candidate. 

I agree with your points, but you should probably mention that Lamar Jackson is the leading rusher and driving force behind the run game. 

A RB stable of Gus Edwards, Justice Hill, and Keaton Mitchell would probably rank in the bottom quarter in the league, but due to Jackson they have arguably have the best rushing attack this season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I agree with your points, but you should probably mention that Lamar Jackson is the leading rusher and driving force behind the run game. 

A RB stable of Gus Edwards, Justice Hill, and Keaton Mitchell would probably rank in the bottom quarter in the league, but due to Jackson they have arguably have the best rushing attack this season. 

That's fair and I agree. 

I like to think of myself as a huge NFL fan and I watch sunday ticket / redzone every sunday and when I think of who the MVP is in the 2023 season, I just don't see Lamar. It's Dak/Purdy/Tyreke to me. Then a drop off and you can make an argument for a couple other guys. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The BILLievers said:

I'd rather give it to the guy who's team is 10-3 with the ghost of OBJ, a rookie WR, and oh they're also missing their 2nd best player in Mark Andrews than the guy w/ Cmac, Aiyuk, and Deebo...and also the best offensive minded coach in all of football.