The MVP race

Steelersfan43

3 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I always thought Lance was not a good pick and never established himself as a good player, so absolutely I would. 

I'm not as much as a draftnik as other people on this site, though.

My point was about his draft position, not the actual player.

If a QB that was taken in the top 10 of the draft was putting up numbers like Purdy in his 2nd season, would you have these same hangups about his MVP candidacy?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

My point was about his draft position, not the actual player.

If a QB that was taken in the top 10 of the draft was putting up numbers like Purdy in his 2nd season, would you have these same hangups about his MVP candidacy?

Yes, because the 49er offense was already elite (when healthy) before Purdy and before CMC was added. 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's not his point. He's referring to the season Smith had the year before. The Chiefs had a very good offense before Mahomes took over in 2018. 

Yes and he won MVP largely because he hit 5000-50. Up till then Drew Brees was really close, and people were making the same arguments about Mahomes they’re making about Purdy now. But Mahomes hit a statistical milestone only reached 2 other times in history so it was undeniable by that point 

24 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Yes and he won MVP largely because he hit 5000-50. Up till then Drew Brees was really close, and people were making the same arguments about Mahomes they’re making about Purdy now. But Mahomes hit a statistical milestone only reached 2 other times in history so it was undeniable by that point 

People also had the discussion about Jalen Hurts' supporting cast in the discussion of last year's MVP award (it wasn't brought up in the actual MVP thread, but it was brought up in the specific "Jalen Hurts = 2022 MVP" thread).  

Nothing in here is anything new or anything, which is fine. The arguments stay the same, the players being discussed are pretty much the only thing that changes. That's probably why it's able to go round and round. There's no real good answer in how you differentiate or value certain things. 

43 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

the "attempt" to understand anti-Purdy reasoning is very, VERY straightforward. 

Nobody that I've seen has used "bias" as a reasoning. Bias against...what exactly??

Apparently on football websites, people are biased against QBs not drafted high and refuse to give them credit. 

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Mahomes leads the league in yards with a WR corp with feet for hands. 

im not saying that deserves MvP, but good lord hows that even possible lol

Mahomes has attempted 535 passes, for 3703 yards.  Purdy has attempted 384 passes, for 3795 yards, with half as many int's. 13 to 7

Mahomes is 4th in yards based on what is on NFL.com currently.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

You must have had an issue with Mahomes winning his 1st MVP then, huh?

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's not his point. He's referring to the season Smith had the year before. The Chiefs had a very good offense before Mahomes took over in 2018. 

Mahomes took the offense from very good to transcendent. The Alex Smith-led Chiefs had a ceiling that Mahomes blew right by.  

2 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Apparently on football websites, people are biased against QBs not drafted high and refuse to give them credit. 

I've found the arbitrary exclusion of attempts on most statistical comparisons to be odd.  A lot of then are also "first 13 weeks" as well, which maximize his worst games. 

It's odd that such a likeable kid gets so much disrespect for the amazing things he does on a play by play basis. 

2 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I've found the arbitrary exclusion of attempts on most statistical comparisons to be odd.  A lot of then are also "first 13 weeks" as well, which maximize his worst games. 

It's odd that such a likeable kid gets so much disrespect for the amazing things he does on a play by play basis. 

I'm here literally saying that if the season ended today, Purdy should be the MVP. Such disrespect!