The MVP race

Steelersfan43

Tua could have a shot for the MVP if he is great in the next 2 weeks and the dolphins win both game.The dolphins would be the first seed of the AFC in this situation.Josh Allen has also a chance if the bills are in the second seed in the AFC.Lamar could clinch this awards with a big game vs dolphins.Purdy is not out too.So many possibility with 2 week left!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Wondering why the MVP odds for Allen on Tuesday was +1400; now on Thursday +800 on FanDuel. 

What will be very interesting is if it plays out this way:

• Lamar Jackson beats the Dolphins this week and sits/rests week 18.
    • It bolsters Lamar's case to win MVP (if he plays great) but also opens the door for the Bills/Allen to get the #2 seed which bolsters Allens case.
  • Josh Allen beats the Patriots and Dolphins the next two weeks and secures the #2 seed while leading the NFL in total touchdowns and total yards. 

I do think Lamar will play at least a quarter or half against the Steelers. I doubt they will want everyone sitting out the entire game like in 2019 and then come into the playoffs rusty from too much rest.

I think maybe you rest Stanley and Hamilton for the game, sub out Moses, Lamar, OBJ, and Zeitler at the half. Then utilize the PS running backs in lieu of the starts to get an evaluation of them and some vital game reps.

33 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

Tua could have a shot for the MVP if he is great in the next 2 weeks and the dolphins win both game.The dolphins would be the first seed of the AFC in this situation.Josh Allen has also a chance if the bills are in the second seed in the AFC.Lamar could clinch this awards with a big game vs dolphins.Purdy is not out too.So many possibility with 2 week left!

For Tua it’ll probably have to depend on what Tyreek does. If he crushes it without Hill then you’d have to consider him. But if Hill challenges that WR record, you probably give it to him.

16 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah I think Stafford is a definite dark horse MVP candidate to like as well. He’s another guy that jumps off the tape, but whose stats might not reflect his dominance on the field.

MVP is hardly ever a guy that has great tape but less than stellar stats, compared to the reverse. 

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

He may win it now if the vote was today, he is a media darling

Lamar had the national media questioning if he was worth the money, far from the media darling, it's obvious the mvp usually goes to the qb of the best team and that the ravens so far. It can be Allen but he would have to go off the last two games and play with a constant 1k yard wr and cook who is a 1k yard rusher, Lamar doesn't have that. And his stats are nearly the same as Manning mvp year, a year when brees threw for 5k yards 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nobellythrower said:

Lamar had the national media questioning if he was worth the money, far from the media darling, it's obvious the mvp usually goes to the qb of the best team and that the ravens so far. It can be Allen but he would have to go off the last two games and play with a constant 1k yard wr and cook who is a 1k yard rusher, Lamar doesn't have that. And his stats are nearly the same as Manning mvp year, a year when brees threw for 5k yards 

If your thought process is that Jackson deserves it because a previous winner that didn't deserve it won it, then I guess I can't disagree with ya.

There is still time to work on the resume, it won't put him ahead of Allen statistically but with a good running game (besides Lamar) and the best defense in the NFL they certainly could win out and Jackson could be awarded for the team effort. It doesn't really honor the award but it certainly could happen.

9 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

If your thought process is that Jackson deserves it because a previous winner that didn't deserve it won it, then I guess I can't disagree with ya.

There is still time to work on the resume, it won't put him ahead of Allen statistically but with a good running game (besides Lamar) and the best defense in the NFL they certainly could win out and Jackson could be awarded for the team effort. It doesn't really honor the award but it certainly could happen.

And John Harbaugh agrees with you! “It takes a team to win an MVP award”.

Grateful we have the team and FO and HC around him that we do. Especially that defense which is #1 PPG #1 yards per play #1 sacks #1 takeaways.

Hey…come to think of it we should probably bump that midseason thread asking whether the Browns are a historic defense, don’t you think? I mean they’re not even the best in their own division. That was a whacky one huh

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nobellythrower said:

I love the “total yards” as though Peyton didn’t have like 3 rushing yards there 😂 

Plus, take Manning off the Colts and they are a 1 overall pick team.

Donit with Baltimore and they have a Pro Bowl backup and make the playoffs.

Its science 

22 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

The previous winner won it back to back with not so good stats

23 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

y but with a good running game (besides Lamar) and the best defense in the NFL

Lamar is the running game, this is why you watch the game instead of stats the threat of his legs hold defensive ends and linebackers. His defense is the best in the league,  but didn't allen play a game where his defense gave up 10 points to the #1 offense in the nfl at the time? Didn't he have a running back rush for 200 yards?

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Donit with Baltimore and they have a Pro Bowl backup and make the playoffs.

Lol bro be serious, best record in the nfl without his no.1 target, rb1 and his rb2, Thats why its mvp for most valuable 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Ahh, now I'm seeing Matthew Stafford starting to get into the conversation. 

Lol just so funny how it operates. Last week it had to be Lamar 

Yea I've heard some media talking about it and I think they're just being hyperbolic because he's playing as good as any QB the second half of the year. Too little too late for that kind of talk for him.

I also think people get suck on Puka and Kyren having been 5th round picks but to me they both look like superstars. Stafford has never had a RB that leads the league in rush yards per game, and it's not a coincidence that the Rams offense is night and day compared to when Kyren does and doesn't play. Not that Stafford isn't playing well, but the combination of OL/WR/RB - not too many in the league I would take over ours right now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nobellythrower said:

The previous winner won it back to back with not so good stats

But it isn't a great reason to award it to a player with not so good stats this year.

20 minutes ago, Nobellythrower said:

Lamar is the running game, this is why you watch the game instead of stats the threat of his legs hold defensive ends and linebackers. His defense is the best in the league,  but didn't allen play a game where his defense gave up 10 points to the #1 offense in the nfl at the time? Didn't he have a running back rush for 200 yards?

He certainly helps open things up, in the running game and passing game. If he wasn't a mobile QB he wouldn't be in the NFL, it certainly is the biggest part of his game. That doesn't discount what the players do around him though.

Gus Edwards is a good back and a perfect compliment to Lamar. I've been saying it for years but for some reason the Ravens keep trying to use fast backs instead and while they can hit homeruns from time to time Edwards grinds out yardage and makes the offense smoother.

Mitchell is averaging 8.4 per carry. Don't care what the circumstances are that's pretty darn good.

Andrews was in there for 2/3 of the season.

Flowers and Agholor (how?) are catching at a +70% clip. OBJ sometimes looks like old OBJ even though he is only catching 54% of his targets.

It isn't the greatest show on turf. It is a pretty well built offense though. I know if you discount everyone else on offense it will make it look like Lamar is doing ALL of the heavy lifting but we watch games, we know what's going on. Lamar is great at using his legs to extend drives. That is huge. Same with Allen. Lamar has had a good rebound season, he deserves some consideration for MVP. He isn't in my top 2 but I can see why he would be in some people's top 5. I may even have him at 5th just because there aren't a lot of good candidates.

1 hour ago, Nobellythrower said:

One of the worst mvp seasons ever