Do you think the Bills current window is closed?

CP3MVP

Who’s the best downfield passing OC candidate in the league right now? Either an up and coming position coach or a retread OC.

Thats what I think the Bills need to be looking at for 2024 because unfortunately all signs point to status quo right now.

7 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If it's closed for anyone, it's probably their boob of a HC. 

The roster itself has plenty of time to get there. Until they actually startissong the post season, their window is as open as anyone's. 

That said, Allen is probably the Brees to Mahomes' Brady. Any talk of it being a close competition between the two as far as career championships go can end now. He'll get one, maybe more, but he's in that regard, he's not 1B anymore, he's 2. 

He was and has always been 2. In my opinion anyways.

The Bills need a complete overhaul minus Shakir at receiver.

Defense has to build around Oliver, Bernard, Douglas, Milano, and Benford. There’s real talent there but it fails when it matters most, and with a defensive minded HC we can all see where that blame should go.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Defense has to build around Oliver, Bernard, Douglas, Milano, and Benford. There’s real talent there but it fails when it matters most, and with a defensive minded HC we can all see where that blame should go.

I may be a little late to the party, but I thought he had a real shot at being Mahomes' folly. At least until now. 

Not a Davis fan? I do like Shakir though. 

Defense...yeah I agree. Talent isn't the issue. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

I may be a little late to the party, but I thought he had a real shot at being Mahomes' folly. At least until now. 

Not a Davis fan? I do like Shakir though. 

Defense...yeah I agree. Talent isn't the issue. 

Davis is horrible outside of run blocking and occasional flash game. He’s a free agent and won’t be back.

20 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I feel like the lack of productivity at EDGE feels most damning as far as defensive talent goes. A lot of draft capital between Lawson, Epenesa, Rousseau, and Basham, along with a ton of money thrown at Miller, all for the most productive edge rusher to be Leonard Floyd on a one year deal.

9 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I feel like the lack of productivity at EDGE feels most damning as far as defensive talent goes. A lot of draft capital between Lawson, Epenesa, Rousseau, and Basham, along with a ton of money thrown at Miller, all for the most productive edge rusher to be Leonard Floyd on a one year deal.

It’s okay though because DL coach Eric Washington is almost certainly going to be promoted to DC 🙃🙃

7 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

It’s okay though because DL coach Eric Washington is almost certainly going to be promoted to DC 🙃🙃

Oh I'm so sorry.  For the Bills' sake I hope he is better for ya'll than he was when Rivera promoted him to DC.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Definitely. The pass rush no shows every post season. 

10 minutes ago, SkolMasterMN said:

This is an outrageous forum to have, considering how close the Bills have been the past few years. They are clearly extremely close to the Chiefs. Might just need to add one more weapon to get them over the hump.

The problem isn't really just how they've done the past year or two though. It's also what they've done to get there. They went a bit all in with some contract structures and retaining some older players. So they're also ~$45M over the cap next year, and that's with Hyde, Davis, Floyd, Jones, and a handful of role/rotational players as free agents already. Obviously there are ways to make space, but those all will involve pushing the problem further down the road. And to make enough space to add a meaningful weapon would involve even further concessions. The smart thing for them to do right now is take their medicine, scale back, and reinvest in young talent, rather than trying to keep going all in.

1 hour ago, SkolMasterMN said:

This is an outrageous forum to have, considering how close the Bills have been the past few years. They are clearly extremely close to the Chiefs. Might just need to add one more weapon to get them over the hump.

Add one more weapon as they lose a handful of veterans and other guys continue aging? Buffalo is hitting the 2.0 phase where most “great” teams have won a championship or two, but they need to reload.

Hyde and Poyer were an amazing safety duo that aren’t that anymore. Miller was washed a while ago. Leonard Floyd is a FA. Gabe Davis (who I don’t even like tbh) is a FA. Daquan Jones is a FA. Tre White is 29 and coming off another season ending injury (torn Achilles). We’re not sure what’s up with Diggs. A handful of other depth guys are set to be out. Team’s lacking cap space (they can make some, but likely can’t be huge players in FA). 

Buffalo needs to reload in the draft and through bargain FAs, that’s where they’re at. The window isn’t slammed shut on Josh Allen, because he’s an awesome QB. Therefore it’s not closed on the Buffalo Bills. The window might be closed on this core of players, though. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Soko said:

Buffalo needs to reload in the draft and through bargain FAs, that’s where they’re at. The window isn’t slammed shut on Josh Allen, because he’s an awesome QB. Therefore it’s not closed on the Buffalo Bills. The window might be closed on this core of players, though. 

I'm sure they will reload in the draft and through FA, but I don't see them experiencing too much of a setback. They can do that while still competing. They won't be in any rebuilding stage, more like reloading. 

1 minute ago, SkolMasterMN said:

I'm sure they will reload in the draft and through FA, but I don't see them experiencing too much of a setback. They can do that while still competing. They won't be in any rebuilding stage, more like reloading. 

Reloading a championship caliber team through late round picks and bargain FAs isn’t exactly an easy thing. Sure things can still bounce their way, I’m not saying they’ll miss the playoffs for years.  But doing what you’re suggesting is harder than it seems, the Saints and Packers had problems doing it for years.