2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Johnson bailed from Carolina because he didn't like the fit/it wasn't the right time for him. I doubt he goes there this offseason without a 1st round pick, a terrible offensive line, no weapons to speak of, and an owner who has zero patience and just fired his coach 11 games into the season.

Johnson is at worst a top 3 HC candidate. he could likely have any job opening he wants or he could sit out again, lead one of the best offenses in the league (again) and see what's open next year. 

i know the "there's only 32 of these jobs available" saying, but he's gonna have his chance, whether its this year or next  

Hope he doesn't Byron Leftwich himself. Lol

On 11/27/2023 at 9:56 AM, Bigbear72 said:

Because the Bears can't have nice things, let's say that neither pick falls in the top 3 (it is possible that this could be the case), and the new regime wants to go with their own guy, would you guys be okay with a combination of Jayden Daniels and Malik Nabers? For all the qb talk on this board I don't see a lot of people discussing Daniels at all. 

I definitely would be cool with Daniels and Nabers/Coleman/Odunze/Bowers. So many pass catchers worthy of a top 10 pick IMO which is why I’m kind of annoyed by the MHJ or bust propaganda. 

I get why mock draft people give us an OT and it is a good class, especially at the top, but i really think that Braxton has played well enough that we can focus our other first round pick on a position other than OT. If we go QB first, then WR has to be on the table. if we roll with justin, then WR for either pick and Bowers/Edge/trade back make more sense imo

38 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

I get why mock draft people give us an OT and it is a good class, especially at the top, but i really think that Braxton has played well enough that we can focus our other first round pick on a position other than OT. If we go QB first, then WR has to be on the table. if we roll with justin, then WR for either pick and Bowers/Edge/trade back make more sense imo

Agreed...as much as we need OT depth especially at LT, Braxton has earned the right to be seen as a cornerstone of that OL moving forward.

I'm in same camp with Braxton Jones, pretty much grudgingly admitting that he is a good enough LT and shows all the signs of working to improve.  Still OK if you want to pass on on of the highly graded tackles but it really gives the Bears options.  If I had to describe my opinion on him it would be "buying the jersey, but it's a cheap one"

• Like 1

I don't know much about any college players yet except ones I watched for draft last year.  

But all I have heard for more than a year is how Caleb Williams is best prospect since Trevor Lawrence and Andrew Luck.  Now many people are saying he isn't.  He has fumbling problems.  He is soft.  He is weird.  Etc.  

LOL.  2 years out they are always best ever.  Come end of last season things start getting pointed out.

36 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I'm in same camp with Braxton Jones, pretty much grudgingly admitting that he is a good enough LT and shows all the signs of working to improve.  Still OK if you want to pass on on of the highly graded tackles but it really gives the Bears options.  If I had to describe my opinion on him it would be "buying the jersey, but it's a cheap one"

If choice is draft a top OT, MH Jr. or Brock Bowers give me one of latter.

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I don't know much about any college players yet except ones I watched for draft last year.  

But all I have heard for more than a year is how Caleb Williams is best prospect since Trevor Lawrence and Andrew Luck.  Now many people are saying he isn't.  He has fumbling problems.  He is soft.  He is weird.  Etc.  

LOL.  2 years out they are always best ever.  Come end of last season things start getting pointed out.

He has turned into an underrated prospect. It's almost bizarre.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

People too freely throw out the term “generational prospect”. Every player has something to be questioned.

Forget all the stuff you mentioned for a second (just for discussion’s sake - they’re legitimate things that’ll be part of the equation on at least some level) - Williams is listed at 6’1” and college teams tend to exaggerate their players’ size. You think the “he’s weird” stuff is bad in terms of finding problems with a guy where there seemingly weren't before? What do you think happens if he measures at 6’0” or less at the combine? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

People too freely throw out the term “generational prospect”. Every player has something to be questioned.

Forget all the stuff you mentioned for a second (just for discussion’s sake - they’re legitimate things that’ll be part of the equation on at least some level) - Williams is listed at 6’1” and college teams tend to exaggerate their players’ size. You think the “he’s weird” stuff is bad in terms of finding problems with a guy where there seemingly weren't before? What do you think happens if he measures at 6’0” or less at the combine? 

On my HS program at 16 I was listed at 6’3 and 215.  I was 6’1 and about 180. LOL

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

On my HS program at 16 I was listed at 6’3 and 215.  I was 6’1 and about 180. LOL

I was 6'3" and 143 lbs my freshman year and coach listed me at 6'5" and 180 lbs. I almost hugged him. lol  

18 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Williams is a stud on the field and a weird dude off it. Two things can be true at once, and damn he seems to be both in spades. lol  

• Like 1

I’ll admit I haven’t seen a lot of Bears games this year other than the prime time games that have been aired but I don’t see it with Braxton. If the draft happened tomorrow I’d stick with Fields, trade out of 1 for no lower than 3, draft MHJ. Trade 4 for no lower than top 10 and draft best LT available. That in my opinion gets the ball rolling. Lots of work still but I believe in JF1.