2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Also, are we getting a player back in a trade down like we did last year from CAR? If I’m trading 1 to ATL for example I’m asking for Bijan or London in the deal. If I’m trading with the Giants I’m asking for Thibodeaux. Not sure what I’d want from NE - their roster is trash. 

If I am taking anyone from the Giants it's Dexter Lawrence...dude is a beast...

The Pats have two good young players...Christian Barmore at DT and if we went to a power based offensive blocking scheme Michael Onwenu at G but neither are on the same level as some of the above.

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

1-10 DT Jer’Zhan Newton

Do you guys not believe we already have our DT for this system? Because I’m not sure what else Dexter could have shown this year to prove that he’s the guy

We always need more on the lines, but I’m not sure we are going to be looking for another penetrator that early, more like a guy who will take over for Billings alongside of Dexter

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’m sure that’s what we’re asking for right now. Why wouldn’t we? It’s what we got last year. But to do that, you have to have another Franchise willing to. And I say Franchise, because that kind of deal comes from the direction of the Owner, not the GM (see the Tepper situation).

Its just like the Lamar contract, yea one dumb team guaranteed everything to Watson, but that doesn’t mean everyone (or anyone) else is going to follow suit.

If you are going to dig in on that type of return, you have to believe staying there and picking MHJ (?) is worth it, AND be willing to do that.

The thing we had last year was not only Tepper’s crazy ***, but also Irsay’s. And we had them pitted against each other. They kept one upping until Carolina threw in Moore while Indy wouldn’t do the same with Pittman.

Id be happy to be wrong again, like last year. I’m just going by what history tells us, which is usually correct way more often than not. And especially how bad the Panthers deal looks now, teams will be cautious. Because the one thing these guys hate more than losing, is looking foolish. 

I think we have that though...I honestly think Josh Harris could see draft Caleb as the quickest way of stamping his authority on that franchise and rid it of the memory of Snyder...it's a statement move and no one will convince me that Caleb on his own is better than Fields plus all that.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think we have that though...I honestly think Josh Harris could see draft Caleb as the quickest way of stamping his authority on that franchise and rid it of the memory of Snyder...it's a statement move and no one will convince me that Caleb on his own is better than Fields plus all that.

And he might, but counting on it is a major assumption at this point. But right now, making the trade to #2 isn’t getting the same return that going to #9 was. 

Especially since they have Maye as an option as well.

Its all a game at this point, it just depends how many players there will be and how motivated they are. Right now, at best there are Five players for #1. Washington, New England, Atlanta, Vegas and Denver. 

Anyone else jumping into the race, would likely be taking out one of the others by trading away their current QB (like if Arizona joins it’s because they send Kyler somewhere) and Russell Wilson may also take out one of these players as well.

(I don’t see us sending #1 to Minnesota unless it was at a franchise crippling cost)

Can Poles stoke up enough of an auction to get things like 2 extra firsts or a veteran player (at what level though) once again? I’m not going to count him out, but I very much see teams more willing to throw in more draft picks than lose a player to us again

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

And he might, but counting on it is a major assumption at this point. But right now, making the trade to #2 isn’t getting the same return that going to #9 was. 

Its all a game at this point, it just depends how many players there will be and how motivated they are. Right now, at best there are Five players for #1. Washington, New England, Atlanta, Vegas and Denver. 

Anyone else jumping into the race, would likely be taking out one of the others by trading away their current QB (like if Arizona joins it’s because they send Kyler somewhere) and Russell Wilson may also take out one of these players as well.

(I don’t see us sending #1 to Minnesota unless it was at a franchise crippling cost)

Can Poles stoke up enough of an auction to get things like 2 extra firsts or a veteran player (at what level though) once again? I’m not going to count him out, but I very much see teams more willing to throw in more draft picks than lose a player to us again

I think the Giants, knowing they can rid themselves of Jones' deal next spring, are another option

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Everything is assumption at this point and it will be months until we know anything...I just have a lot of faith in Poles after last year to get the most out of that pick.

36 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I think the Giants, knowing they can rid themselves of Jones' deal next spring, are another option

I don’t know if they are trading up for a QB at this point. They picked Jones over Saquon last year. Would be hard to eat that money AND trade away a ton. 

If they ended up among the QBs at the top of the draft, they probably take them, but I don’t know about a big move for one.

Honestly they may be a team that makes sense for Daniels, especially if they move down

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Do you guys not believe we already have our DT for this system? Because I’m not sure what else Dexter could have shown this year to prove that he’s the guy

We always need more on the lines, but I’m not sure we are going to be looking for another penetrator that early, more like a guy who will take over for Billings alongside of Dexter

I think Dexter is a DUDE. His play the past 2 months has made those who wanted Carter over Wright really quiet. I think Newton is a DUDE too though, and putting he and Dexter side-by-side on passing downs and keeping each other fresh all game sounds like exactly what Flus would want from an engine driving his defense from the interior.

33 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think Dexter is a DUDE. His play the past 2 months has made those who wanted Carter over Wright really quiet. I think Newton is a DUDE too though, and putting he and Dexter side-by-side on passing downs and keeping each other fresh all game sounds like exactly what Flus would want from an engine driving his defense from the interior.

Maybe he would want that, but I’m not sure he’s going to be pressing to use a Top 10 pick on him. 

That is a key spot on this defense, no doubt. But we got the guy for that, and it’s overall not a high value draft position. We would have to have Zero other options for me to be happy taking Newton there, it’s the definition of a Luxury pick (especially with Pickens and Walker on this roster)

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Everything is assumption at this point and it will be months until we know anything...I just have a lot of faith in Poles after last year to get the most out of that pick.

That’s fine, and I know that you personally know that, but bears fans as a whole will see some of this speculation and think it’s a guarantee that we are getting 3 Firsts, a few more Seconds/Thirds AND another DJ Moore level player. And that’s just not realistic to move down a spot or two.

It’s already happening, and this Fanbase is setting everyone (Fields, Eberflus, Poles, Warren…) up for failure before we are anywhere close to something happening.

Just like if the Fanbase was just a tiny bit measured in their expectations this season (Not expecting playoffs or Justin’s Foelds to be the MVP) people would be much happier with the outcome this year

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Maybe he would want that, but I’m not sure he’s going to be pressing to use a Top 10 pick on him. 

That is a key spot on this defense, no doubt. But we got the guy for that, and it’s overall not a high value draft position. We would have to have Zero other options for me to be happy taking Newton there, it’s the definition of a Luxury pick (especially with Pickens and Walker on this roster)

Sure. Like I said when I posted it initially it was just something I threw together. 

He's less likely now, but something I heard about Nabers is a big turn off from him....

He played in his bowl game, just long enough to set the LSU receiving record, then quit MID GAME.

11 minutes ago, Epyon said:

He's less likely now, but something I heard about Nabers is a big turn off from him....

He played in his bowl game, just long enough to set the LSU receiving record, then quit MID GAME.

I'm completely cool with players staying out of bowl games if they are finished with their college career. I know it is super unlikely, but remember what happened to Jaylon Smith. His whole NFL career was derailed from just getting shoved from behind by Decker. He eventually had a strong stretch of play but his speed and athleticism was Urlacher-like before he got hurt, and he never regained that level. Even witht hat, his athleticism dropped quickly again.  Now he is a PS player for PIT at 28. Damn shame.

Granted I understand Nabers wanted to set the record, who wouldn't want to have their name tops in a school's record books? But I would rather he just sat. They were playing an unranked team for a game that was pretty insignificant. After getting the record he worked his whole career for I would have preferred he pulled out if I was an NFL scout or GM.

Now if he was in the actual playoffs and that happened though... there is still a lot on the line for the teams there. THAT I would have a major issue with.

47 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'm completely cool with players staying out of bowl games if they are finished with their college career. I know it is super unlikely, but remember what happened to Jaylon Smith. His whole NFL career was derailed from just getting shoved from behind by Decker. He eventually had a strong stretch of play but his speed and athleticism was Urlacher-like before he got hurt, and he never regained that level. Even witht hat, his athleticism dropped quickly again.  Now he is a PS player for PIT at 28. Damn shame.

Granted I understand Nabers wanted to set the record, who wouldn't want to have their name tops in a school's record books? But I would rather he just sat. They were playing an unranked team for a game that was pretty insignificant. After getting the record he worked his whole career for I would have preferred he pulled out if I was an NFL scout or GM.

Now if he was in the actual playoffs and that happened though... there is still a lot on the line for the teams there. THAT I would have a major issue with.

It's a little bit of confirmation bias for me with it too I suppose.... Something that really irked me watching his highlights was the kid dance-celebrates ALOT..... Big plays, medium plays, TDS.... kinda struck me as an umm "attention [lady of the evening]" type behavior, and I've got a pretty low tolerance for that.

Dressing for the game to get his statline then immediately sitting out just doesn't sit right with me.....  Not quite a full on red flag, but it's an orange one, I guess? I'd be tugging hard on that thread if I where the scouting department.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Epyon said:

It's a little bit of confirmation bias for me with it too I suppose.... Something that really irked me watching his highlights was the kid dance-celebrates ALOT..... Big plays, medium plays, TDS.... kinda struck me as an umm "attention [lady of the evening]" type behavior, and I've got a pretty low tolerance for that.

Dressing for the game to get his statline then immediately sitting out just doesn't sit right with me.....  Not quite a full on red flag, but it's an orange one, I guess? I'd be tugging hard on that thread if I where the scouting department.

Totally can get it. I was a major ****-talker so I dig it. I'm not for the dancing and the stupid "wipe his nose" or whatever has to be one of the most generic NPC taunt in history, but I am all for celebrations. I loved TO, Moss, Chad Johnson going off with their celebrations and trash talk. Justin Tuck talking about Larry Allen doing the "choo choo" signal to let him know Allen was going to bulldoze him is probably one of my favorite stories in sports. Dude is just saying there is nothing you can do about it, and was right.

I got told to STFU and never did, just would talk more and anyone who had an issue would be the one I would really dig at. Even in basketball, Rodman is in my top 5 favorite players of all time. I also liked to play through the "echo of the whistle" so I was the jerk on the field and courts. . Thats why I like my OL to be -almost- dirty. 😁 

I personally like how Cam Newton said it best about his celebrations when they were rubbing guys the wrong way. "I'm a firm believer that if you don't want me to do it, then keep me out of the end zone." I'm paraphrasing, but thats the jist of it.

• Like 1