2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

1 minute ago, refundmytickets said:

Watched the 2023 ND game. My thoughts:

• Very quick release.
  • Capable within the pocket. Hangs in there and climbs even under immense pressure.
  • Makes some nice up-and-down touch throws that many QBs struggle with.
  • Scrambles to throw. He's not running for 150 like Fields. But he'll keep a ton of plays alive.
  • Too often throws off his back foot.
  • Some horrible decision-making. Tries to play hero-ball too often.
  • USC was dominated up-front and stuck with a questionable gameplan. Way too many slow-developing plays had no chance. 3rd and 2 against a heavy blitz they're running play action out of the gun. There's a guy hitting the mesh point before Williams can even pull the ball, let alone throw it.

He reminds me of a smaller, twitchier Jay Cutler.

I think this is a point that will have to be broken, because like Mahomes at Texas Tech and Fields for the first 2.5 seasons of his career, you had to win a shootout or you'd lose. Mahomes and Williams both lost games while putting up 30+ and 40+ points, barely won while putting up over 40, and we saw Fields have that explosive stretch last year that turned into a fat lot of nothing in the win column basically.

I think as he gets to understand that you don't HAVE to score on every drive or you're bound to lose that the coach will be able to get him to trust in the system (assuming he isn't getting the hell beat out of him). He's always going to be a passer first and will make the crazy extended plays so you'll never have him be robotic out there, but thats a positive. I think he can definitely play within a system, he just hasn't ad much of an opportunity because the defense has been atrocious both years and this year the OL was just as bad.

• Like 1

As a player, I have no major concerns about Caleb that aren't present in any college QB.  As a leader/professional I have concerns, which I'm not really sure if there is a way to address them, unless he comes out and somehow demonstrates real maturity and mental toughness somehow.  

Edited by TankWilliams

28 minutes ago, refundmytickets said:

Watched the 2023 ND game. My thoughts:

• Very quick release.
  • Capable within the pocket. Hangs in there and climbs even under immense pressure.
  • Makes some nice up-and-down touch throws that many QBs struggle with.
  • Scrambles to throw. He's not running for 150 like Fields. But he'll keep a ton of plays alive.
  • Too often throws off his back foot.
  • Some horrible decision-making. Tries to play hero-ball too often.
  • USC was dominated up-front and stuck with a questionable gameplan. Way too many slow-developing plays had no chance. 3rd and 2 against a heavy blitz they're running play action out of the gun. There's a guy hitting the mesh point before Williams can even pull the ball, let alone throw it.

He reminds me of a smaller, twitchier Jay Cutler.

A bigger, stronger, smarter Bryce Young...? Maybe

Whats funny is Bryce Young had the highest Wonderlic score while CJ Stroud had the lowest

5 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

As a player, I have no major concerns about Caleb that aren't present in any college QB.  As a leader/professional I have concerns, which I'm not really sure if there is a way to address them, unless he comes out and somehow demonstrates real maturity and mental toughness somehow.  

NIL is crazy. I don't think he lacks leadership skills or likability from his teammates. Heck even coaches want to coach him.

BUT how much will a human being actually be motivated to leave southern cali where he already lives in a multi million dollar penthouse and drives a nice car and has a good life just to come to Chicago and be forced to play here on a contract that has already been collectively bargained for and a coaching staff that he didn't pre-approve of. The human element is very real here

4 minutes ago, anonymousGM said:

NIL is crazy. I don't think he lacks leadership skills or likability from his teammates. Heck even coaches want to coach him.

BUT how much will a human being actually be motivated to leave southern cali where he already lives in a multi million dollar penthouse and drives a nice car and has a good life just to come to Chicago and be forced to play here on a contract that has already been collectively bargained for and a coaching staff that he didn't pre-approve of. The human element is very real here

Crying in the stands in his moms arms and not speaking to the press at moments that would be expected of a leader are the situations I'm referencing.  Neither one of those look strong for someone who may come to one of the toughest sports media cities and fan bases in the country.

28 minutes ago, anonymousGM said:

A bigger, stronger, smarter Bryce Young...? Maybe

Whats funny is Bryce Young had the highest Wonderlic score while CJ Stroud had the lowest

Similar levels of improvisation. Williams is stronger and has a top tier arm while Young has an average arm. Williams has the wrist-flick release of guys like Rodgers, Cutler, and Mahomes.

I also think Williams is much more comfortable with chaos around him than Young was coming out of Bama.

2 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Caleb Williams drives a Taycan... interesting choice, but what does it say about his ability to lead and how he'll handle a locker room?

Damn...heartbreaking... Who drives an electric Porsche? 

What I'm saying that if Caleb is sitting on a bunch of money and endorsement deals in college and having a good time I think that effects his capacity to handle adversity in the pros. Its not an issue exclusive to Caleb Williams, but Its just human psychology. Right now the NCAA is the wild west and if a high profile player gets a better offer or wants a different situation he can just transfer. Caleb Williams can easily return to school and it wouldn't effect his life too much. He's spoiled and thinks he has a ton of leverage over the NFL and I think there could be more to his story still to come. If I were Caleb Williams i'd want to come to Chicago (actually a decent team picking #1) but if some garbage team trades up to get him like Washington he could just hold out right away and demand a trade.

Chicago isn't a premier QB destination so It could be a reason why the Bears end of keeping Fields. We own his rights so his only option is to play well and have success here.

4 minutes ago, anonymousGM said:

Damn...heartbreaking... Who drives an electric Porsche? 

It's the number one question the Bears are going to have to answer, why does he drive a Taycan? Enviro stuff?  Just likes the way it looks?  They're interesting and certainly fast cars, but I think it's such an intentional choice that they're going to need to know the why before they trust him with a charter franchise in the NFL.  When I think Taycan or Etron I think "dentist" not quarterback. 

8 minutes ago, refundmytickets said:

Greg's one of those creatures who watches a 20-14 loss and blames the defense.

He also "guaranteed" Peterman would have a better career than Cousins

He also said the Claypool trade was great and then deleted it

It's one thing to be wrong. It's another not to be able to laugh at yourself and admit when you're wrong AND be a complete tool about it

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

It's the number one question the Bears are going to have to answer, why does he drive a Taycan? Enviro stuff?  Just likes the way it looks?  They're interesting and certainly fast cars, but I think it's such an intentional choice that they're going to need to know the why before they trust him with a charter franchise in the NFL.  When I think Taycan or Etron I think "dentist" not quarterback. 

^^Ryan Pace over here drafting Mitch Trubisky cuz he still drove a '97 toyota camry

49 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He also "guaranteed" Peterman would have a better career than Cousins

He also said the Claypool trade was great and then deleted it

It's one thing to be wrong. It's another not to be able to laugh at yourself and admit when you're wrong AND be a complete tool about it

he has his moments, but GG is one of the biggest "old man yells at clouds" and "back when men were men" "scouts" around.

• Like 3