2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

9 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Who is everyone's "draft guy?" i think its good to get different scouting reports and ideas from people.

The main guy I listen/read is Dane Brugler (The Athletic), which gives the residual Nate Tice who gives decent analysis. Also Josh Norris (Underdog Fantasy) normally has pretty good stuff and I think had the highest mock draft score in 2 of the last 3 years or something like that. He did the Shane Waldron video that got posted after the hire.

Brugler by a distant IMO…that said I think most people just gravitate to the person who shares the most amount of opinions on guys with themselves…very rarely do I have no idea where Brugler is coming from where as sometimes I think I guy like Kiper might actual be on crack 😂

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Brugler by a distant IMO…that said I think most people just gravitate to the person who shares the most amount of opinions on guys with themselves…very rarely do I have no idea where Brugler is coming from where as sometimes I think I guy like Kiper might actual be on crack 😂

Brugler is my guy too. I very much look forward to him releasing The Beast every year. ESPN has their guys like Kiper and Matt Miller (formerly McShay too) churn out so much content that they end up being kind of all over the place almost by default. I liked Miller’s content a lot more before he got to ESPN. Brugler on the other hand is far more quality over quantity, and the detail that goes into his final write ups on literally hundreds of prospects is second to none. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, G08 said:

Great read from Adam Hoge about Caleb Williams: Separating Fact from Fiction

https://allchgo.com/caleb-williams-fact-fiction-2024-nfl-draft/

I love that Caleb's dad actually put this out there in that book apparently. 

“It’s NFL, not NIL,” Carl Williams says in Quarterback Dads. “The first pick in the draft last year came close to $40 million. And the fact of the matter is, in 2024, there will be a significant bump to the salary cap.”

Shows just how stupid all the talk was of how Williams could "stay in college and get more money." 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, G08 said:

Great read from Adam Hoge about Caleb Williams: Separating Fact from Fiction

https://allchgo.com/caleb-williams-fact-fiction-2024-nfl-draft/

was gonna come here and say the same thing. Get Up was playing this morning at the gym and some of the stuff they were saying was just so dumb. I'll look to see if i can find the clip online and post it, but every guy was just agreeing with each point being made and i could think of easy rebuttals to all of them. draft season is gonna seem so long (again)

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Bleacher Report and PFN both comp Maye to Justin Herbert. He’s not a typical QB2 in the draft. In the past 10 drafts I venture he’d be QB1 in all but the Lawrence and Burrow drafts. He’s a stud prospect in his own right, and it’s worth noting that the places where most have some concerns with Caleb (size, playing within structure, fumbles, hero ball tendencies) virtually all the scouting reports have Maye better at all those things. Maye doesn’t have the (supposedly) overbearingly involved father thing either. If your biggest hang up on Maye is that he went to the same school as Mitch Trubisky then you don't really have any meaningful hang ups about him. It was said before last season and during last season by several credible sources that some NFL teams would have Maye ahead of Williams. It’s not some far fetched premise that one of them may be Chicago.

If Poles does prefer Maye to Williams on the tape and on the white board though, he’s going to have a perception problem. The masses think Williams is unequivocally QB1. They don’t know **** for the most part and don’t do any real evaluation of the players, but that’s the case. Between that and the Cowherd-fueled narratives that Williams doesn’t want to play here (that Williams himself has reportedly shot down in addition to all the non-hot take reporters) a not-so-small faction of the fan base will think Poles took Maye because Williams forced his hand and hold that against Poles even if he just likes Maye better. It’s his *** on the line - he should take the guy he likes most. 

I haven’t personally done enough on either of them to know which I like more, but people should really be considering more the possibility that Maye might be Poles’ guy, not because of anything to do with Williams, but Poles thinks Maye will be the better pro. 

I think Poles has done a really good job as GM so far with the one major blip being the CC trade. The jury is still out on keeping Flus this offseason, but i'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and fall into the "consistency wins out" theory.

I hope Poles and Cunningham learned a ton last year having #1 in a draft with 2 guys that could go in that spot, as well as an incumbent QB. And if they go through and have Maye higher or v comparable to CW and WSH overplays ala CAR and NEEDS to trade up to take CW - that convo starts with #2, #34 (not our 2nd, but theirs) and their 2025 1st. Go ahead and bend them over a barrel and show them the 50 states

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Why would it be sarcasm? 😂

If your best ever rookie QB has 11TDs then you might as well take a shot on greatness

I saw your other post on mock so I realized it wasn't.

People really dug in on X to their early positions and won't come off.   You are an exception.  The keep Fields vs. draft Caleb has become kind of entrenched and personal.  

Me I have been draft Caleb since Browns game, but if someone comes and offers me moon I am probably taking the moon.

I can be talked out of it.   But it would have to be a big game changing offer to move off someone who could be best QB we have ever had.

Edited by dll2000

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I saw your other post on mock so I realized it wasn't.

People really dug in on X to their early positions and won't come off.   You are an exception.  The keep Fields vs. draft Caleb has become kind of entrenched and personal.  

Me I have been draft Caleb since Browns game, but if someone comes and offers me moon I am probably taking the moon.

I can be talked out of it.   But it would have to be a big game changing offer to move off someone who could be best QB we have ever had.

I still fully believe you can win with Fields…I think with the right OC and by giving him talent around him he can be a better Jalen Hurts…he is better than Tua & Purdy and a number of other solid WBs around the NFL…I would even argue that he is on the same level as Trevor Lawrence but Lawrence doesn’t seem to get the same criticism for a lot of the same issues but that is another story…

I just think things are shaping up that we take Williams and try to change the narrative of the franchise…not have a good or even great QB…but try and have a truly elite one…Celeb has a ton of traits to be just that as a passer first and foremost…I just think given where Poles has come from he has seen the sustained success that brings with Mahomes…how you are never out of any game not really…how others will accept being paid less just to be around it…how easy it is to recruit people to go there for a chance to always have a chance of winning…now I am not saying Caleb will be Mahomes but if you have at least a shot of having the same sort of guy then you might as well take it…worst that can happen is in 3 years time your looking for a new QB after some more terrible season and probably and HC sacking even after Flus was goes and Poles probably as well…but if you hit on Caleb…then you have 10-15 year of success coming…worth the gamble…especially playing with someone else’s money.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I still fully believe you can win with Fields…I think with the right OC and by giving him talent around him he can be a better Jalen Hurts…he is better than Tua & Purdy and a number of other solid WBs around the NFL…I would even argue that he is on the same level as Trevor Lawrence but Lawrence doesn’t seem to get the same criticism for a lot of the same issues but that is another story…

I just think things are shaping up that we take Williams and try to change the narrative of the franchise…not have a good or even great QB…but try and have a truly elite one…Celeb has a ton of traits to be just that as a passer first and foremost…I just think given where Poles has come from he has seen the sustained success that brings with Mahomes…how you are never out of any game not really…how others will accept being paid less just to be around it…how easy it is to recruit people to go there for a chance to always have a chance of winning…now I am not saying Caleb will be Mahomes but if you have at least a shot of having the same sort of guy then you might as well take it…worst that can happen is in 3 years time your looking for a new QB after some more terrible season and probably and HC sacking even after Flus was goes and Poles probably as well…but if you hit on Caleb…then you have 10-15 year of success coming…worth the gamble…especially playing with someone else’s money.

I think you can too believe it or not.  I think Justin can be great.  

But I think it doesn't depend on coaches or talent around Fields (though that matters).

Justin needs to commit to fixing Justin flaws.  And that starts with him recognizing them and being willing to change. 

At some point you just realize that it isn't everybody else's fault and that point is now (for me).  There is a common denominator. 

I just don't or can't trust that is going to happen when I am staring 1.1 and a darn good prospect in the face.

If I were them I'd probably be picking my QB1, which is likely Williams.  To be moved off that I probably have some silly compensation written in mind for each team, like offer you can't refuse territory, like offer that goes down as most insane overpay in NFL history, like "people stop bringing up the Trent Richardson trade" kind of value.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

If I were them I'd probably be picking my QB1, which is likely Williams.  To be moved off that I probably have some silly compensation written in mind for each team, like offer you can't refuse territory, like offer that goes down as most insane overpay in NFL history, like "people stop bringing up the Trent Richardson trade" kind of value.  

ghows-LK-eaa94ab9-a4b9-40c2-aa70-86736a4

Like this one. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I just think things are shaping up that we take Williams and try to change the narrative of the franchise…not have a good or even great QB…but try and have a truly elite one…Celeb has a ton of traits to be just that as a passer first and foremost…I just think given where Poles has come from he has seen the sustained success that brings with Mahomes…how you are never out of any game not really

this is the biggest thing for me. i like JF, i really do, but if he's gonna be jalen hurtz level where he needs EVERYTHING to go right around him to be successful, give me a QB that can potentially be elite, which i don't think JF is going to be. he was the 4th qb taken for a reason. having #1 with CW as the top guy gives us a better chance of finding the DUDE. i think his floor is much higher than field's because of his arm talent