2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

10 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I still have a banner hanging in my shop that says "CHAMPIONS: THAT BUCS GAME IN 2018"

I'm still upset that stopped letting Mitch throw it in that game.... He had a chance to set an NFL passing record for tds in a game, and the coaching staff wasted it by running the ball the rest of that game. Like, it's their defenses' job to stop you, keep scoring until they do. 

Also, like Fields, Mitch was a good dude, he deserved the chance to set that record. Especially considering how the rest of his career has gone. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

Just the medicals have him off my board entirely

2 years removed from the neck procedure I’m good with the medical on that. I just can’t imagine he’s actually 260 lbs or even close to it looking at that picture. If he’s 240-245 lbs I don’t think he’s on Poles’ radar - he has shown a strong bias toward bigger DEs. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Agreed.

You are crazy if you don’t think the first time the Bears brass meet the supposed new franchise QB isn’t a big deal.

It’s literally the reason why all of these teams even go to Indy anymore. They don’t need any of the measurements, those get reported. And the Medicals do too at this point. They could be doing all of this via Zoom if the in person sit downs weren’t extremely important. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

You are crazy if you don’t think the first time the Bears brass meet the supposed new franchise QB isn’t a big deal.

It’s literally the reason why all of these teams even go to Indy anymore. They don’t need any of the measurements, those get reported. And the Medicals do too at this point. They could be doing all of this via Zoom if the in person sit downs weren’t extremely important. 

It’s not a long interview.  The player is prepped and guarded in responses as is anyone in that setting. 

It is what it is.  Another data point.   It’s important.  But not really that important.  

I didn’t say anything about medicals.  Medicals are extremely important.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It’s not a long interview.  The player is prepped and guarded in responses as is anyone in that setting. 

It is what it is.  Another data point.   It’s important.  But not really that important.  

I didn’t say anything about medicals.  Medicals are extremely important.

If they are all so “prepared” for all of these meetings at the Combine then why in the world does every Team make sure to do them every year? We are just wasting everyone’s time if that is the case

But they do all show up to conduct them every year because you learn so much more in these than any amount of research you can do on someone.

These guys are professional interviewers, they do that just as much as they do scouting or negotiating. This isn’t chatting with the manager at Starbucks, they know how to probe with questions to get real reactions. Throw them off, confront them about the rumors and issues they have. You can prep all you want, but the second that someone comes at you with “are you a little baby mama’s boy” (in much harsher language) you aren’t going to keep your guard up completely, and like I’ve said before, if you do stay completely machine like through all of those interactions, that tells you something very important as well (that you have a Russell Wilson situation on your hands)

Downplaying these interviews (as well as all other interactions they get with these guys this week) is absolutely wild to me.

4 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

If they are all so “prepared” for all of these meetings at the Combine then why in the world does every Team make sure to do them every year? We are just wasting everyone’s time if that is the case

But they do all show up to conduct them every year because you learn so much more in these than any amount of research you can do on someone.

These guys are professional interviewers, they do that just as much as they do scouting or negotiating. This isn’t chatting with the manager at Starbucks, they know how to probe with questions to get real reactions. Throw them off, confront them about the rumors and issues they have. You can prep all you want, but the second that someone comes at you with “are you a little baby mama’s boy” (in much harsher language) you aren’t going to keep your guard up completely, and like I’ve said before, if you do stay completely machine like through all of those interactions, that tells you something very important as well (that you have a Russell Wilson situation on your hands)

Downplaying these interviews (as well as all other interactions they get with these guys this week) is absolutely wild to me.

Okay fine.  You are right Bears made their decision last night.  

Actually one of other guys interviewed so good they are going in a completely other direction than what they were previously leaning at 1.  

Caleb was so thrown off during mini-putt and interview tactics that he totally blew it. 

27 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Okay fine.  You are right Bears made their decision last night.  

Shocked that it took you this long…

Pretending it’s all or nothing with every discussion seems to be the go to around here for a lot of you.

Did I say it’s the only thing that matters? Not even remotely, but pretending it isn’t a major part of this process, possibly one of the most important things they get to do as a front office since all the other information (film, measurements, medicals, background) is the same out there for everyone to look at, is a wild take.

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Actually one of other guys interviewed so good they are going in a completely other direction than what they were previously leaning at 1.  

Are you seriously trying to pretend this doesn’t happen. It quite literally happened to this franchise because of a stupid Car that a QB prospect was driving. 

34 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Caleb was so thrown off during mini-putt and interview tactics that he totally blew it. 

I don’t know you at all, but these kind of reactions and remarks make it seem pretty obvious that you don’t interview people, or at least aren’t very good at it. Because that’s exactly what they are trying to do.

And as many jokes you want to make about mini-put, it’s a clear tactic to change the status quo when questioning them. It’s a legitimate interviewing tactic, just done in their own way.

You’ve clearly made your mind up a long time ago, and won’t even consider any other outcome since any time a simple question or innocuous comment is brought up that doesn’t praise Caleb you go down this same spiral

The interviews are usually practiced and have off the wall questions thrown at them in practice. Even when I was at a d3 school we had simulated interviews and such offered by the school even after we did our ones with the team. Helped learn how to control your tone and how to answer professionally and we recorded it so we could see your facial features too. When I was doing it it was when social media was just beginning, so IDK how that plays into it. What is an interviewer going to say that is so off the wall that it hasn't been said 1000 times about these guys online by anonymous d-bags? I mean we've heard about questions about if the kid's mother was a prostitute or if she still did drugs. I'd have fun trying to turn it on them. "No, but why ask? Your wife scared of competition on the corner? Sure, she drinks Diet Pepsi and coffee every day. Need that caffeine."  

I imagine agents help (or sub out the practice to other professionals) to help prepare for the combine interviews. Especially for the guys who are not participating in drills. But Caleb is a weird situation, because I don't think he has an agent, just his father (who at least superficially seems like a loon) so IDK how they would go about things. Roquan didn't have an agent and did well (from what I know at least, still was a super high pick for  LB so seems safe to assume it wasn't terrible). 

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

2 years removed from the neck procedure I’m good with the medical on that. I just can’t imagine he’s actually 260 lbs or even close to it looking at that picture. If he’s 240-245 lbs I don’t think he’s on Poles’ radar - he has shown a strong bias toward bigger DEs. 

That's why i think Verse is likely #1 on his board as a DE. I think Turner is more versatile and quicker, but he's definitely smaller like Latu. Verse opposite Sweat would be 2 big DEs that can set the edge, play the pass, and play the run. Wouldn't have to worry about taking Verse off the field in different situations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Shocked that it took you this long…

Pretending it’s all or nothing with every discussion seems to be the go to around here for a lot of you.

Did I say it’s the only thing that matters? Not even remotely, but pretending it isn’t a major part of this process, possibly one of the most important things they get to do as a front office since all the other information (film, measurements, medicals, background) is the same out there for everyone to look at, is a wild take.

Are you seriously trying to pretend this doesn’t happen. It quite literally happened to this franchise because of a stupid Car that a QB prospect was driving. 

I don’t know you at all, but these kind of reactions and remarks make it seem pretty obvious that you don’t interview people, or at least aren’t very good at it. Because that’s exactly what they are trying to do.

And as many jokes you want to make about mini-put, it’s a clear tactic to change the status quo when questioning them. It’s a legitimate interviewing tactic, just done in their own way.

You’ve clearly made your mind up a long time ago, and won’t even consider any other outcome since any time a simple question or innocuous comment is brought up that doesn’t praise Caleb you go down this same spiral

I get frustrated with you because you don't read the full nuance of my posts and impute things to me that I don't say or think.

You did it again at end.  Part of reason for my last post was to show you what it is like.   

People do make dumb decisions off little things rather than looking at bigger picture.   That is stupid.  I am giving Poles benefit of doubt that he is not stupid, I try to imagine what I would do were I him.

Maybe I am a crappy interviewer.  I have helped hire people.  And I am going to hire people in near future. I didn't and won't do it solely off an interview or their resume.  I check with people who know them that I trust.  I see what they have actually done in past.  An interview is just part of it and not that biggest part.  

My point in posting DBB X post was that interview isn't THAT important.   Because it is part of sea of other info. 

At this point you have private investigators that have thoroughly investigated Caleb.  You have candidly talked to all his old coaches at length about him.   You have watched all of his college film.   You have spoken with USC and OK beat writers.  Your scouts have probably attended practices.  If he got written up for pulling a girls pig tails in 3rd grade you know it.  If he was at a drinking party in HS you know it.  

You have been thinking about all scenarios of number 1 pick since before you even had it.

As for Caleb, he is a human being.   He is not perfect.  He is not a perfect prospect.   He is a very good prospect.  He is probably a top 6 prospect in last 10 years.  Which is quite high to me.  Even very good prospects have a better chance of failing than succeeding.  That is nature of the beast.  

Even with that I would entertain trading down and taking Maye for a big enough package as I have posted here and elsewhere.

I am not pro-Caleb or anti-Fields.  I am pro Bears success.   In my opinion since post-Browns game - that success is best served by drafting Caleb and moving on from Fields.  Or in a possible alternative trading down with WA for A LOT and drafting Maye. 

I believe that Poles agrees with me and that is what Bears are going to do.  That is what I want Bears to do.  I don't know it.  We will see what happens. 

If Bears don't do that - I will not spiral.  I will be upset - but it will be relative upset.   It will not be like a loved one dying or anything serious.  I will stay a Bears fan regardless of what they do (unless maybe they leave the state of IL).   

I am moving on from this little spat as I don't care for spats all that much.

• Like 1