Watches

LETSGOBROWNIES

FWIW, for those who have been bit by the bug here, I strongly recommend the Submariner for the same reason I did at the beginning of this year. It can actually save you money. As far as being a one-watch person goes, there are watches that can pull it off, but I think the sub is probably the lowest entry point unless you're really into the Explorer 1 or the DateJust (maybe the Explorer 2 if you have very specific taste). What you lose in up-front cost you will save in terms of not buying other watches in the future. I know folks who did the Tudor -> Omega -> Rolex path, and they ultimately either have their former watches sitting in the box or sold at a loss.

The real value with contemporary steel sports Rolex is as much what you don't end up buying as what you buy. I have a lot of colleagues who are much better off than me who are still wearing the sub they bought when that was a significant time to buy it for them (i.e., 5513, 16800, drilled lugs 16610, etc.). I figure these people have tons of free cash now, the kind of money where buying a new watch is something they could easily do, but they don't. Why? They have their watch. That's the savings.

22 hours ago, Iggles said:

FWIW, for those who have been bit by the bug here, I strongly recommend the Submariner for the same reason I did at the beginning of this year. It can actually save you money. As far as being a one-watch person goes, there are watches that can pull it off, but I think the sub is probably the lowest entry point unless you're really into the Explorer 1 or the DateJust (maybe the Explorer 2 if you have very specific taste). What you lose in up-front cost you will save in terms of not buying other watches in the future. I know folks who did the Tudor -> Omega -> Rolex path, and they ultimately either have their former watches sitting in the box or sold at a loss.

The real value with contemporary steel sports Rolex is as much what you don't end up buying as what you buy. I have a lot of colleagues who are much better off than me who are still wearing the sub they bought when that was a significant time to buy it for them (i.e., 5513, 16800, drilled lugs 16610, etc.). I figure these people have tons of free cash now, the kind of money where buying a new watch is something they could easily do, but they don't. Why? They have their watch. That's the savings.

yeah, i got my datejust 41 and i dont need another one.  i pretty much have lost the bug.

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

yeah, i got my datejust 41 and i dont need another one.  i pretty much have lost the bug.

Congrats! Yeah, I was skeptical about the Rolex thing going in, but in practice, it's easy to see why their steel models turn so many people into one watch people. I know a guy at work who rocks a DJII two tone and it's perfect for him. Can't imagine him wearing a different watch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

“The Hulk”, I dig ‘em.

As far as the colored sports watches, imo, Batman>Hulk>Pepsi>Smurf>Coke>Kermit.

No Rootbeer?

Batman up close is astonishingly good. I think it's the perfect play on their ceramic bezel, and it goes from understated to dazzling really quickly.

1 minute ago, Iggles said:

No Rootbeer?

Batman up close is astonishingly good. I think it's the perfect play on their ceramic bezel, and it goes from understated to dazzling really quickly.

Man, totally forgot about that one.  Love it.

Im a bigger fan of yellow gold than most folks, but the prices for gold rolexes are crazy.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, mission27 said:

What kinda watch do you get for a kid on their 4th birthday to convey that you are a big ******* deal and they should listen to you over their other uncle?

How much you wanna spend? How badly you need to convey you’re the bigger deal?

2 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Lets just say his other uncle is TLO

Get him that one me and fin have. With the compass and **** 

Can’t to wrong, but his mom will be mad when he gets his GF pregnant as a HS freshman cause of that thing

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1