BDL 2023 Week 8: Greenland Polar Bears @ Seoul Dragons

Scoundrel

Who wins?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Greenland Polar Bears
    • Seoul Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/02/2023 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2023 Week  8

Match:  Greenland Polar Bears @ Seoul Dragons

Away Owner:  @Pickle Rick

Home Owner:    @RedGold

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Greenland Polar Bears

QB: Tua Tagovailoa 
RB1: Saquon Barkley 
RB2: Cam Akers

WR1: Stefon Diggs
WR2: Ceedee Lamb 
WR3: Chris Godwin 

LT: Rashawn Slater 
LG: Trey Smith 
😄 Tyler Biadasz 
RG: Aaron Banks 
RT: Christian Darrisaw 

Bench

TE1: Cole Kmet
WR4: Christian Watson
WR5: Van Jefferson
WR6: Odell Beckham Jr 
QB2: Kenny Pickett 
Backup OLine: Spencer Brown
_______

LE: Joey Bosa
DT1: Deforest Buckner 
DT2: Jordan Elliott 
RE: Harold Landry

MLB: TJ Edwards
MLB: Roquan Smith 

CB1: Marshon Lattimore 
CB2: Riq Woolen 
CB3: Joey Porter Jr. 

SS1: Justin Simmons
FS1: Jordan Poyer

DE3: Travon Walker
D-line backup 3: Bryan Bresee
CB4: Emmanuel Forbes 
LB3: Devin Lloyd
LB4: Jack Campbell 
LB5: Drew Sanders
S3: Quandre Diggs
S4: Jamal Adams

Seoul Dragons

Offense
QB:  Derek Carr
RB:   Kenneth Walker
WR: George Pickens
WR:  Brandin Cooks
WR: Tank Dell
TE:   Travis Kelce 
LT:   Ronnie Stanley
LG:  Joe Thuney
😄    Mason Cole
RG: James Daniels
RT:  Dawand Jones
Bench:  RB Dameon Pierce
Bench:  RB Javonte Williams
Bench:  WR Rashod Bateman
Bench:  TE Pat Freiermuth
Bench:  TE Trey McBride
Bench:  T Donovan Smith
Bench:  T Anton Harrison
Bench:  OL Tytus Howard

Defense
DE:  Dayo Odeyingbo
DL:  Dexter Lawrence
NT:  DJ Reader
Edge:  Charles Omenihu
MLB:  CJ Mosley
LB: Damone Clark
CB:  Trent McDuffie
CB:  Donte Jackson
NB: Kenny Moore
FS:  Daxton Hill
SS:  Kerby Joseph
Bench:  Edge Sam Williams
Bench:  Edge Derick Hall
Bench:  DL Khalen Saunders
Bench:  DL Foley Fatukasi
Bench: LB MarkqueseBell
Bench: CB Kyler Gordon
Bench: NB Taron Johnson
Bench: Saf Richie Grant

Greenland Polar Bears

Offensive Formations: 3WR/2RB 40%, 5 wide (4WR, 1 TE) 20%, 3 WR/1RB/1TE 20%, 5 wide (5 WR) 20 %

Offensive Tempo: Slow as possible 
Designed Playcall Distribution: 50% pass, 30% run, 20% screens and quick outs

Plan: we want to spread out wide, stacked outside the numbers.  This will allow quick passes, outs and slants coming back to the middle to work great in man coverage.  While if in zone we have the numbers on the overloaded side and can find the gaps.  Plenty of motion and quick out passes will complement the running game.

Slow mesh run style this week with Barkley and Akers, one of them being the lead back when in 2 RB sets.  Trying to work plenty of counters with pulling lineman and the lead back to the weakside.  We also want to run Watson in more end arounds, WR screens, and touch passes 

First series of the game: we want to establish the run and pull the linebackers and safeties up before hitting playaction 

Defense Base Formation: Nickel zone run blitz

Run Defense:  We feel that this game could ultimately be decided by how well they can run the ball.  We will be loading the box heavy on run downs.  We want our lineman to push upfield as much as possible to disrupt plays in the backfield and trust our LB core to clean up things at the line of scrimmage.  We will be slanting heavily into the strong side and trying to shoot the gaps when we do and get up field to blow plays up in the back field.

Pass defense: we want to blanket the field by using a heavy amount of zone blitzing.  We will switch into various zone coverages out of our Nickel base to try and keep the pressure on whoever they run at QB and make him 1) uncomfortable in the pocket and 2) not know who is blitzing or where and what type of zone we are running. We feel that his brain will be more focused on not getting popped that he will miss identify zone schemes and we can get some turnovers.  This will also take away the deep ball and big plays from his stars and force things underneath and right into the teeth of our zone 
Within our zone looks we want to bring a decent amount of blitzes from all over the field and to keep their QB uncomfortable in the pocket 

Defensive rotation and formations notes:  we have DT, edge, LB, and DB depth to rotate in and keep everyone well rested.  As for formations, even though our base and dominant formation will be Nickel we do want to sprinkle in some 4-3 and 3-4 formations when possible on more clear passing downs 

Seoul Dragons

Offense:
Formation/Scheme:   3WR/1TE(50%),  2WR/2TE(50%)
West Coast passing game, set up with zone rushing attack.  
Pass (55%), Run (45%) 

Blocking:
Zone blocking concepts in the running game.    Deforest Buckner will be our primary target in pass pro, we want to provide a double team on him whenever he is lined up inside.   

Passing game:
We will come out this week with plenty of levels concepts,   expecting plenty of zone this week  we trust Carr to fit the ball into the correct window.   We will look to work Kelce from the slot plenty this week, while also running more 2 TE sets.   Tank Dell and Kelce will look to stack the middle of the field.

Running game:  
Greenland has a pretty stout front 7, but we believe we can run on anyone.  We want to make sure we stay committed to the ground game throughout, with a rotation of our 3 backs.   We will ride the hot hand, but look for each back to receive 10-15 touches through in both the run and pass game.

Goal #1 -    Use RB’s early and often
Goal #2  -  Attack zone coverages over the middle
Goal #3 -   Don’t let Armstead take over the game.

Defense:
Base: 4-2 Nickel

Coverage:
We will come out in more man coverage this week. We look to send additional pressure on the interior to disrupt Tua’s timing. We will bring a mix of cover 1 and cover 2 man.  
Man assignments;
Stefon Diggs  - Trent McDuffie
Ceedee Lamb – Kenny Moore
WR3 -  Donte Jackson
Cole Kmet/WR4 – Damone Clark(Cover2) Kerby Joseph(Cover1)
RB -    CJ Mosley(Cover2)  Damone Clark(Cover1)

We will move to more zone coverages if Greenland is in the redzone, Cover 3 and Cover 2.   With the reduced windows,  we think we can react to Tua’s ability to throw into tighter windows.

Pass Rush:
We look to push the pocket this week against Greenland from the interior.   Getting to Tua’s feet and making him make adjustments is key to disrupting his accuracy.   We will send an extra LB on the inside often on 3rd downs.   We will rotate the edge defenders regularly to keep them fresh.  

Run Defense:
Gap Disciplined along the front 4 and let CJ Mosley flow as a stack backer.   We won’t put any extra emphasis on stopping the run this week,  we are comfortable with our Front 7 rush defense enough.  

Goal#1:   Pressure Tua up the middle
Goal#2:  Trust our DB’s to limit YAC
Goal#3:  Let Daxton patrol the deep 3rd and control explosive plays. 

I went Seoul here. Greenland is going empty 40% of the plays in this game I don’t see that working out well for them… they are also in 2RB 40% and using one of Akers or Barkley as a lead blocker on running plays out of this formation… sure they have talent but I don’t think their strategy and scheme is going to allow them to win this game, not to mention this is against the home Seoul crowd noise who are as hungry as any team to see their team make the playoffs under this regime finally.

• Like 1

I don't hate Greenland's gameplan, but going empty for 30% of their snaps feels like a problem. Like Seoul's decision to pressure the weaker interior in the pass game, and Greenland has a shocking lack of depth up front. Combined with huge weeks from Carr and Sexy Dexy, I'll take the Dragons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I don't hate Greenland's gameplan, but going empty for 30% of their snaps feels like a problem. Like Seoul's decision to pressure the weaker interior in the pass game, and Greenland has a shocking lack of depth up front. Combined with huge weeks from Carr and Sexy Dexy, I'll take the Dragons.

It’s even more at 40%

3WR/2RB 40%, 5 wide (4WR, 1 TE) 20%, 3 WR/1RB/1TE 20%, 5 wide (5 WR) 20 %

16 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

I may be reading this wrong, but Damone Clark is going to be covering Christian Watson in man coverage?

Would be Damone if we’re in deep 2 safety coverage.     Kerby Joseph if Cover 1.      For whatever 40% they run those formations outside the red zone,  we drop back into zone once in the red zone. 

4 minutes ago, RedGold said:

Would be Damone if we’re in deep 2 safety coverage.     Kerby Joseph if Cover 1.      For whatever 40% they run those formations outside the red zone,  we drop back into zone once in the red zone. 

Got ya, if you're planning to do this in the future, I'd probably start Bell then who at least was a sefety in college

Watson is going to feast on short stuff here but I can't get behind a team playing zone blitz all game without any mention of mixing in anything else.  Especially against a vet like Carr and a safety blanket in Kelce.  Seoul in a close one

22 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Got ya, if you're planning to do this in the future, I'd probably start Bell then who at least was a sefety in college

Noted.  I probably should have brought out my 3CB/3 Saf package, but honesty wasn’t too concerned about Watson short.   All his yardage is deep.  Appreciate the constructive feedback tho

I like what both teams are putting out there this week.

For me, an empty set 40% of the time(no team does it that much IRL) and heavy zone blitz against Kelce who is probably the best TE ever especially in terms of exploiting zones is enough to cost Greenland in a close one.