Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

47 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Took a step forward? They actually got worse on both sides of the ball, and the season was “over” well before it was last year. How he could say stuff like this after that brutal mid season stretch where the offense was abysmal is crazy to me. Telling the team to “enjoy this win all offseason” after beating a bottom 3 team. Then you have GW essentially call out the offensive coaching staff. 

I get positivity is Salehs style, but I don’t see this approach working. There is going to be massive amounts of pressure on everyone next year and Saleh is going to have his work cut out for him.

Only thing I can see as "step" forward is Jets aren't the last in the division.  That's it. lol

4 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

AR isn’t going to last very long next year when the free rushers are coming.

Pauline went into detail about Carter's poor reputation around the NFL, both as it pertains to fellow coaches and players. One league source reportedly described the Carter hire as a "death wish" for Douglas and Saleh.

Despite his less-than-stellar reputation and his unceremonious departure from the Tennessee Titans last year, the Jets hired Carter to be their new offensive line coach in 2023. Needless to say, the results have been disastrous.

I still don't get it.  He has no relationship with AR.  Bringing him back suggests Jets are lazy.  Is it safe to assume that Jets retain those physical trainers?

3 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Jets are going to be aggressive this offseason. Aaron Rodgers makes you win now. They need to turn it around to not lose star young players like Garrett Wilson. 

Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh will be on their last year, if they do not turn this into a winner they will both be fired. So it is pretty evident that they will be aggressive with moves trying to win next season. 

Joe has said before there is lots of flexibility with how he can manipulate the cap with shifting around money. 

10th overall pick, should be able to land a really good player in this draft at that spot. This draft is loaded with OL and WR talent. 

We probably won't be able to land Joe Alt or the other OT who is elite. But who knows how the draft plays out. Last time we picked 10 we landed Garrett Wilson. 

They need to target OL and WR to fix the offense. Saleh said they want to figure out a spot for AVT and leave him there, no more playing around with him.  Same with Tippmann, do the Jets want to leave him at center or do they see him as a OG. Cause he was dominant at RG. But he also has potential as a center. 

Jonah Williams seems to be the top OT on the market, 26 and has started pretty much every game. 

Tee Higgins would be excellent WR opposite of Garrett too.

Joe Douglas could either find a way to keep Jets afloat or leave Jets in bad debt (cap wise).

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Joe Douglas could either find a way to keep Jets afloat or leave Jets in bad debt (cap wise).

He isn't going to be thinking too long term. He is going to go all out to win next season because if he doesn't he won't have another season. 

I really hope we bring Bryce Huff back because he was such a good UDFA find and has that explosive first step off the line.

But in reality the Jets would be fine without. Jermaine Johnson is the best DE on the roster, his overall game is so good.  Will McDonald I believe will take a big jump in year 2 like how Johnson did. I think McDonald has so much potential as a edge rusher. He was getting close to a bunch of sacks late in the season. A offseason of NFL training to get his body right with his bend and moves, he will be really good. 

But you never want to let good pass rushers leave. So I am really  hoping we keep Huff, but you never know what will happen. 

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

The problem is Woody doesn't carry a plunger with him.  *Shrug*

It’s funny coming from the guy who carries probably the most BS out of any player in the league. Maybe he won’t go on McAfee next year, give his stupid medical opinions, and feud with celebrities.

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Only thing I can see as "step" forward is Jets aren't the last in the division.  That's it. lol

I agree, my big worry is who is going to be our starting QB IN 12 MONTYS FROM NOW, AFTER Rodgers IS GONE. OUR upcoming draft we have one pick in the first 74 picks. AND our cap space is weak. So this step forward business is a lot of BS 

10 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Think there’s a shot we could get a 2nd for him or maybe swap him for a WR, Sutton and Jeudy kinda make sense if you wanted to go that Route

I think we can pull it off. There are some decent looking OT's on the last year of their deals who could be trade targets as well.  We can improve this oline without using our 1st pick.

5 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

I really hope we bring Bryce Huff back because he was such a good UDFA find and has that explosive first step off the line.

But in reality the Jets would be fine without. Jermaine Johnson is the best DE on the roster, his overall game is so good.  Will McDonald I believe will take a big jump in year 2 like how Johnson did. I think McDonald has so much potential as a edge rusher. He was getting close to a bunch of sacks late in the season. A offseason of NFL training to get his body right with his bend and moves, he will be really good. 

But you never want to let good pass rushers leave. So I am really  hoping we keep Huff, but you never know what will happen. 

I want it to be him, JJ and IV for the next few years.  Dump JFM.

5 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

I don't see how we can afford to keep Bryce Huff, but I'm sure he'll be amazing wherever he goes so it's a painful one. 

On 1/7/2024 at 12:50 PM, GangGreen420 said:

Douglas is a bigger failure than Saleh IMO. Saleh is flawed, but at least he has the defense where it should be. Couldn’t say the same about Bowles and Gase and their side of the balls.

Douglas has been awful outside of the 2022 draft. Like giving MacCagnan a run for his money 

Douglas drafted 2 1st round OL, both have had injuries 2 years running. Injuries happen, but to say that JD hasn't attempted to make the OL better is not fair. Lets not forget Connor at C who was uninjured and not the best but not the worst.

JD's fault is letting guys leave who I think could have solidified the OL like Moses. I will say this he has had some great hits in FA, and released players but equally he has struck out on others. 

As far as our D is concerned, give JD the credit in bringing in the players, he single handedly made the D a top unit in the NFL. 

When I hear how our DC is so great, I think to myself really, REALLY? Who could't win with this talent? While were on the DC how on earth does it take an entire half to adjust the defense when your getting killed the first half?

So you come out the second half and shut out the opponent, but you're down by 20? THIS is a good DC?

The run defense is one of the worse in the NFL, gimme a break, when is the run defense going to be addressed?

JD has had his issues that's for sure, and if the OL 1st round talent would have lived up to their potential, this conversation on JD would be over.

Granted the Jets need a T or 2  who can come in and transform the line. As for Becton the guy is not physically able to play the position, his leg and weight prevents him from performing at the level he enjoyed in college and part of his first year as a pro.

People run around him, and through him, he is just incapable of playing the position, its not that he stinks, he has a physical impairment which prevents him from playing the position. So he's going to have a hard time getting signed by any team.

Sign him as a G? Don't know. But the one thing I will say, is that the Jets staff are on the clock, and it begins in FA and the draft. 

JD I'm sad to say is on the clock.

I think a lot of you guys ae missing some major points here.

1. AR is going to be the jets QB for at least 3 more years. He has stated several times he thinks he can play into his mid 40's. So 3 more years is a good safe number. I'm also not buying he gets hurt all the time. This was just a freak thing that happens. This happend to Tom Brady and he lost the season too. AR takes very good care of his body and is on the wired side of healthing procedures just like Tom Brady. 

2. I think the people that want to get ride of JD is just crazy to me. He has been the best GM the Jets have had in almost 20 years. You want him here. Even if Saleh is fired next year JD should have another chance at a HC. He has hit on several good picks. I don't care what the media says I have that feeling Woody pushed JD on certian picks. I think the Zach Wilson pick is all Woody. JD wanted to move down. He had a ton of offers too. Zach was on a lot of peoples boards. JD did take Becton and knew he was raw. The problem with Becton was his attitude and not taking care of his body. JD only needs a few more parts on the O and he did his job. They need 2 OL guys and a WR2. That is 4 holes that need to be filled. You can fill 2 with a trade down from 10. I think the 10 pick will be a hot spot for a QB like Bo Nix for a team to jump on him. There is going to be a lot of new HC and those guys want their QB. 

3. GW is starting to rub people the wrong way. He is getting that WR attitude. If keeps it up SEE YA. It sucks because I really like him but he needs to step up too. He was not getting open like he did on other 1 on 1. I don't think GW took a step forward this year like he should have. 

4. The Jets have 9 of the starting 11 D players coming back so this should look pretty much the same which is good. This D was on the field a lot this year. 

5. I was at the Pats Jets game the other day. I went down by the tunnel where the Jets run into. There was a lot of smiles coming in. These guys are happy to beat the pats and end that talk about "the jets can't beat the pats." I don't care if the game counted or not. This streak will not be brought up next year and that is huge. I don't care about draft spots. These guys want to win and that is what you need on a team. Guys that want to win at all cost. Oh by the way Sauce gave me his gloves. He is one cool guy. Tyler C. gave me his towel and Gibson was taking a ton of pics with the fans. Saleh had a huge smile on his face going in. Becton gave me five and his hands are huge.