Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

12 hours ago, ukjets21 said:

3 in the top 5 is realistic. None of the others are top 10 picks at all.

There have been a few times that lots of QBs go early: 1999, 2004, 2018, 2021. What makes 1983 special is that most of them were good and 3 of them were HoFers.

While I agree with you, because of the QB needy teams even QB's who or should be drafted later will make it into the 1st round. Where is the question. N.E. needs a QB, I'm not sure the Bears will draft a QB, rounding out the top 5 any one of them could draft a QB. Chicago should parlay the 1st round pick into a draft haul.

43 minutes ago, Big T said:

While I agree with you, because of the QB needy teams even QB's who or should be drafted later will make it into the 1st round. Where is the question. N.E. needs a QB, I'm not sure the Bears will draft a QB, rounding out the top 5 any one of them could draft a QB. Chicago should parlay the 1st round pick into a draft haul.

Another twist is that Caleb Williams has stated he does not want to play for the Bears. That could be a huge problem. Other teams know this, so do they have to take a little less because the other teams know they have to move it or do they grab Harrison? The Pats are going QB at 3. They will end up with Williams, Maye or Daniels. Washington will stay a 2 and pick one of thsoe three too. I think the cards stay with Murray and the Chargers will stay with Justin. Giants, Titans, and Atlanta will be looking for a QB in my mind. That is when Bo Nix and Penix come off the board. I do think JJ will get picked in the second round too. These 5 QB's will get drafted in the top 15 I have no doubt on that. Williams and Penix seem to be the bigger bust factor for me. I think Nix is the best of all of them. The guy looks like he is ready to go now. Maye and Daniels are probably the next 2 for me. Penix was exposed by Mich and Williams just has that attitude I hate. He seems to have the "If you pick me you have to do this." Sounds like he is more about him than the team. This never works out. 

https://www.spotrac.com/news/afc-east-2024-offseason-financials-2109/

New York Jets

Let’s try this again. The Jets appear poised to run almost everything back in 2024, hoping for a little Aaron Rodgers magic to sprinkle its way around the franchise. New York doesn’t carry a large list of free agents into the offseason, but that doesn’t mean significant change isn’t coming to certain position groups. According to our data, the Jets hold an estimated $16M of Top 51 cap space in 2024.

PENDING UFAS

QUARTERBACK
Trevor Siemian
Bubble: Zach Wilson

WIDE RECEIVERS
Randall Cobb

TIGHT ENDS
Bubble: C.J. Uzomah, Tyler Conklin

OFFENSIVE LINE
Duane Brown, Connor McGovern, Mekhi Becton, Billy Turner
Bubble: Laken Tomlinson, Wes Schweitzer

DEFENSIVE LINE
Solomon Thomas, Al Woods, Quinton Jefferson

EDGE DEFENDERS
Carl Lawson, Bryce Huff

SECONDARY
Jordan Whitehead (S), Chuck Clark (S)

SPECIAL TEAMS
Greg Zuerlein (K), Thomas Morstead (P)

CAP CLEARING POSSIBILITIES

• Trade QB Zach Wilson, freeing up $5.4M of cap
  • Process a full base salary conversion on WR Allen Lazard, freeing up $7.1M of cap when factoring in 2 void years
  • Release TE C.J. Uzomah, freeing up $5.3M of cap
  • Release TE Tyler Conklin, freeing up $4.8M of cap
  • Release OL Laken Tomlinson, freeing up $8.1M of cap
  • Release OL Wes Schweitzer, freeing up $1.1M of cap
  • Process a full base salary conversion on DL Quinnen Williams, freeing up $10.6M of cap when factoring in 1 void year
  • Process a full base salary conversion on DE John Franklin-Myers, freeing up $9.7M of cap when factoring in 1 void year
  • Process a full base salary conversion on OLB Quincy Williams, freeing up $3.9M of cap when factoring in 3 void years
  • Extend ILB C.J. Mosley to a new contract, lowering his $21.4M cap hit for 2024. Mosley is still performing at a $10M+ per year level.
  • Extend CB D.J. Reed, to a new contract, lowering his $15.6M cap hit for 2024. Reed projects toward a $13M per year contract in our system.

12 hours ago, Big T said:

Sure I don't doubt that players like Pennix, Nix, or McCarthy may get overdrafted into the first round. I don't think any team is crazy enough to take any of them at 4th overall though. This is a good QB class but as far as prospects it isn't a patch on 2018. It's similar to 2021 in that there's a good top end and then some who could clearly get overdrafted.

9 hours ago, JetsandI said:

https://www.spotrac.com/news/afc-east-2024-offseason-financials-2109/

New York Jets

Let’s try this again. The Jets appear poised to run almost everything back in 2024, hoping for a little Aaron Rodgers magic to sprinkle its way around the franchise. New York doesn’t carry a large list of free agents into the offseason, but that doesn’t mean significant change isn’t coming to certain position groups. According to our data, the Jets hold an estimated $16M of Top 51 cap space in 2024.

PENDING UFAS

QUARTERBACK
Trevor Siemian
Bubble: Zach Wilson

WIDE RECEIVERS
Randall Cobb

TIGHT ENDS
Bubble: C.J. Uzomah, Tyler Conklin

OFFENSIVE LINE
Duane Brown, Connor McGovern, Mekhi Becton, Billy Turner
Bubble: Laken Tomlinson, Wes Schweitzer

DEFENSIVE LINE
Solomon Thomas, Al Woods, Quinton Jefferson

EDGE DEFENDERS
Carl Lawson, Bryce Huff

SECONDARY
Jordan Whitehead (S), Chuck Clark (S)

SPECIAL TEAMS
Greg Zuerlein (K), Thomas Morstead (P)

CAP CLEARING POSSIBILITIES

• Trade QB Zach Wilson, freeing up $5.4M of cap
  • Process a full base salary conversion on WR Allen Lazard, freeing up $7.1M of cap when factoring in 2 void years
  • Release TE C.J. Uzomah, freeing up $5.3M of cap
  • Release TE Tyler Conklin, freeing up $4.8M of cap
  • Release OL Laken Tomlinson, freeing up $8.1M of cap
  • Release OL Wes Schweitzer, freeing up $1.1M of cap
  • Process a full base salary conversion on DL Quinnen Williams, freeing up $10.6M of cap when factoring in 1 void year
  • Process a full base salary conversion on DE John Franklin-Myers, freeing up $9.7M of cap when factoring in 1 void year
  • Process a full base salary conversion on OLB Quincy Williams, freeing up $3.9M of cap when factoring in 3 void years
  • Extend ILB C.J. Mosley to a new contract, lowering his $21.4M cap hit for 2024. Mosley is still performing at a $10M+ per year level.
  • Extend CB D.J. Reed, to a new contract, lowering his $15.6M cap hit for 2024. Reed projects toward a $13M per year contract in our system.

There is no way they release Tyler Conklin. He has been a good player for us. Uzomah can go, but Conklin is solid. 

4 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

There is no way they release Tyler Conklin. He has been a good player for us. Uzomah can go, but Conklin is solid. 

i agree about Conkin, the only thing that is not going to change is the offensive line till we get rid of all those practice squad players and get real NFL O lineman.

I was going to do a mock but I'm not motivated to do it this year. This is simply what I want to see happen.  

* 3 new OL 

* new OL coach 

* another WR with 1k potential.  

* Run stopping DT/NT 

* A safety 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

I was going to do a mock but I'm not motivated to do it this year. This is simply what I want to see happen.  

* 3 new OL 

* new OL coach 

* Run stopping DT/NT 

* A safety 

I would add a vet QB and a young kid to work under them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

I agree.   This list is just to show how much of "maximum" cap saving if you do this and these. 

5 hours ago, doumeyer said:

i agree about Conkin, the only thing that is not going to change is the offensive line till we get rid of all those practice squad players and get real NFL O lineman.

lol... Those practice squad players certainly don't keep Jets from signing veterans.

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

* 3 new OL 

* new OL coach 

* Run stopping DT/NT 

* A safety 

Sadly, Jets wont meet your request as they keep Keith Carter.

On 1/14/2024 at 9:42 AM, xrade said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I see two between now and then:

1.  We have Reed who is a top 15 CB. We don’t need to move them atound

2.  Sherman was mostly a zone CB. Sauce plays a lot of man. Hard to compare the two.

Regardless, I don’t get caught up in the “who’s the best” debates. They can change from year to year. When Sauce plays at a high level for 10 years, then when can debate.

We don't play much man, maybe some match coverage especially on 3rd down but it's mostly zone but that's not on Gardner. He does his job at a high level and has since he came into the league. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JetsandI said:

lol... Those practice squad players certainly don't keep Jets from signing veterans.

Do we have the money? THE LAST FA good O lineman we picked up was ALAN FANICA, and how many years ago was that. Has anybody heard from Joe DOUGLAS?