Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

On 1/16/2024 at 3:40 PM, JetsandI said:

https://www.spotrac.com/news/afc-east-2024-offseason-financials-2109/

New York Jets

Let’s try this again. The Jets appear poised to run almost everything back in 2024, hoping for a little Aaron Rodgers magic to sprinkle its way around the franchise. New York doesn’t carry a large list of free agents into the offseason, but that doesn’t mean significant change isn’t coming to certain position groups. According to our data, the Jets hold an estimated $16M of Top 51 cap space in 2024.

PENDING UFAS

QUARTERBACK
Trevor Siemian
Bubble: Zach Wilson

WIDE RECEIVERS
Randall Cobb

TIGHT ENDS
Bubble: C.J. Uzomah, Tyler Conklin

OFFENSIVE LINE
Duane Brown, Connor McGovern, Mekhi Becton, Billy Turner
Bubble: Laken Tomlinson, Wes Schweitzer

DEFENSIVE LINE
Solomon Thomas, Al Woods, Quinton Jefferson

EDGE DEFENDERS
Carl Lawson, Bryce Huff

SECONDARY
Jordan Whitehead (S), Chuck Clark (S)

SPECIAL TEAMS
Greg Zuerlein (K), Thomas Morstead (P)

CAP CLEARING POSSIBILITIES

• Trade QB Zach Wilson, freeing up $5.4M of cap
  • Process a full base salary conversion on WR Allen Lazard, freeing up $7.1M of cap when factoring in 2 void years
  • Release TE C.J. Uzomah, freeing up $5.3M of cap
  • Release TE Tyler Conklin, freeing up $4.8M of cap
  • Release OL Laken Tomlinson, freeing up $8.1M of cap
  • Release OL Wes Schweitzer, freeing up $1.1M of cap
  • Process a full base salary conversion on DL Quinnen Williams, freeing up $10.6M of cap when factoring in 1 void year
  • Process a full base salary conversion on DE John Franklin-Myers, freeing up $9.7M of cap when factoring in 1 void year
  • Process a full base salary conversion on OLB Quincy Williams, freeing up $3.9M of cap when factoring in 3 void years
  • Extend ILB C.J. Mosley to a new contract, lowering his $21.4M cap hit for 2024. Mosley is still performing at a $10M+ per year level.
  • Extend CB D.J. Reed, to a new contract, lowering his $15.6M cap hit for 2024. Reed projects toward a $13M per year contract in our system.

There are guy's who just need to be cut outright, then work out contracts with said players. All NFL teams do this, they kick the can down the road for the next G.M. all the while trying to save their jobs. 

Just cut the dead wood, older players, unproductive players, or players that just don't fit. The Jets are trying to have their cake and eat it too. 

Practice squad players are just "that", if your drafting a guy to sit, you need to be fired. You draft guys who will be difference makers or can come in and do the job. The Jets have multiple job openings as witnessed by their lack of talent. I would rather have 3 draft choices who can come in and play than 11 draft choices and they all couldn't make an NFL team.

On 1/17/2024 at 1:35 AM, NYJets4716 said:

There is no way they release Tyler Conklin. He has been a good player for us. Uzomah can go, but Conklin is solid. 

They will release him if they think Alt and Fashanu will be gone by 10 (most likely) and they think Bowers will be there (most likely).  Let's face it we could realistically be drafting a TE at 10 if we do not trade down a bit.

JD likes TE's.  I am not so sure he likes them on day 1, but if the top two OT's are gone and picking the next best one is too early.  He may go TE.  I do not think he would draft a FRP WR because he will probably address that in FA and he does not want to piss off a certain current Jet WR.  A trade down would be nice but JD has yet to do that in round 1.  I think he is too critical with his trade down demands.  Face it, Bowers could be the pick.  Enjoy the offseason pondering that.

1 hour ago, Big T said:

Practice squad players are just "that", if your drafting a guy to sit, you need to be fired. You draft guys who will be difference makers or can come in and do the job. The Jets have multiple job openings as witnessed by their lack of talent. I would rather have 3 draft choices who can come in and play than 11 draft choices and they all couldn't make an NFL team.

Draft three quality starters, wow, so easy!

We aren't so far removed as most would think. If we manage to keep our defense mostly in tact, we're likely set there at least another season.

Our OL is garbage and most draftees aren't going to be as ready to play as a vet, so we'll need to concede to the market here and overpay for likely average returns.

WR is an easy gap to fill. FA has a bunch of great #2s coming out and WR is also much easier to draft, so I'm not worried here.

Last is QB. We do have AR next season, and God willing he doesn't suffer a second season ending injury 3 snaps in. But just in case our curse continues, we should have a real #2 behind him and someone in wait for the job. That likely means scooping up a journey man with actually play abilities (Josh Dobbs-esque) and drafting someone late to sit and learn (McCarthy, Nix, Travis, etc).

We cover these bases, even if they aren't superstars and just quality role players, we should be a top team next year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xrade said:

They will release him if they think Alt and Fashanu will be gone by 10 (most likely) and they think Bowers will be there (most likely).  Let's face it we could realistically be drafting a TE at 10 if we do not trade down a bit.

JD likes TE's.  I am not so sure he likes them on day 1, but if the top two OT's are gone and picking the next best one is too early.  He may go TE.  I do not think he would draft a FRP WR because he will probably address that in FA and he does not want to piss off a certain current Jet WR.  A trade down would be nice but JD has yet to do that in round 1.  I think he is too critical with his trade down demands.  Face it, Bowers could be the pick.  Enjoy the offseason pondering that.

No way do I want a TE drafted ever in the first 3 rounds. They are the most wasted picks I think. It is so rare to hit on a TE that can change a game. Sure you have Kelce, Gronk type guys but you have way to many Pitts, Fant, O.J Howard, Ebron, Veron Davis, and Kellen Winslow. These guys are all picked high and fell flat. I will never want a TE ever in the first 3 rounds no matter who it is. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

No way do I want a TE drafted ever in the first 3 rounds. They are the most wasted picks I think. It is so rare to hit on a TE that can change a game. Sure you have Kelce, Gronk type guys but you have way to many Pitts, Fant, O.J Howard, Ebron, Veron Davis, and Kellen Winslow. These guys are all picked high and fell flat. I will never want a TE ever in the first 3 rounds no matter who it is. 

In no way that I would ponder about Jets' potential drafting TE in 1st.  JD may like TE but all of his acquisitions offer at least blocking ability while Bowers is devoid of that area.

Also, Hackett and Rodgers don't feature TE as one of top playmakers on the roster.  Don't waste high picks on TE unless Jets actually plan to incorporate TE plan. 

Edited by JetsandI
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Big T said:

There are guy's who just need to be cut outright, then work out contracts with said players. All NFL teams do this, they kick the can down the road for the next G.M. all the while trying to save their jobs. 

Just cut the dead wood, older players, unproductive players, or players that just don't fit. The Jets are trying to have their cake and eat it too. 

Despite no 2nd round, I think Jets can have at least 4 draftees to be involved at least 45 pct of season snaps, barring injury. That is only if Jets don't draft a qb in any of first 4 picks.

6 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

No way do I want a TE drafted ever in the first 3 rounds. They are the most wasted picks I think

I knew I would get a response out of you. I am a bit disappointed at the lack of swearing. I agree with what you said yet every year, it seems, teams take a FRP TE. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 9:32 AM, rickyt31 said:

I was going to do a mock but I'm not motivated to do it this year. This is simply what I want to see happen.  

* 3 new OL 

* new OL coach 

* another WR with 1k potential.  

* Run stopping DT/NT 

* A safety 

OK RICK YOU got my vote we don't we don't need a two-page mock draft to know what we need. good job

As great as the Jets 2022 draft was the 2023 draft was a total bust Will Mc Donald showed nothing just a terrible pick at 15. Douglas had a terrible year in 2023, did nothing to help the O line, let Mike White walk. He is still screwing around with signing Bryce Huff. He picked up Lazard for way too much money, and Lazard was a total bust with the Jets. How could Douglas be so great in 2022 and become the class clown in 2023? After reading all nothing moves, he made in 2023, now I see why so made people on our board are saying he is on the HOT SEAT in 2024. And why no coaching changes, I understand giving Salah another year but what about the offensive coach.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

As great as the Jets 2022 draft was the 2023 draft was a total bust Will Mc Donald showed nothing just a terrible pick at 15. Douglas had a terrible year in 2023, did nothing to help the O line, let Mike White walk. He is still screwing around with signing Bryce Huff. He picked up Lazard for way too much money, and Lazard was a total bust with the Jets. How could Douglas be so great in 2022 and become the class clown in 2023? After reading all nothing moves, he made in 2023, now I see why so made people on our board are saying he is on the HOT SEAT in 2024. And why no coaching changes, I understand giving Salah another year but what about the offensive coach.

The whole staff is back strictly because of Rodgers and that’s it, Douglas is back because of the same reasoning. McDonald played about the same amount of snaps that Johnson played his rookie year and had about the same level of production it’s obvious he was taken as the future replacement for Lawson/Huff I expect a productive year from him this upcoming season as long as he puts on some more weight

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Aaron Rodgers injury 

8 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I think McDonald will be good. He just has to go through a similar growing experience as Bryce Huff. He needs to add weight and get more reps. I'm looking forward to seeing him and JJ next season.  

Huff went undrafted. McDonald was take in 1st.   You just insult Jets' intelligence. lol