Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

2 hours ago, Dr.O said:

The whole staff is back strictly because of Rodgers and that’s it, Douglas is back because of the same reasoning. McDonald played about the same amount of snaps that Johnson played his rookie year and had about the same level of production it’s obvious he was taken as the future replacement for Lawson/Huff I expect a productive year from him this upcoming season as long as he puts on some more weight

Ater my last post i was thinking the same thing, for three months we had to listen to all that BS that came from Rodgers, Pat Macfee, & Woody, Hackett.

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Huff went undrafted. McDonald was take in 1st.   You just insult Jets' intelligence. lol

Lol I'm referring to how Huff had to add weight and adapt to 43 DE role in the NFL. Both would have probably looked better as pass rushers in a 34 defense.  With more reps, WM will be good next year. 

50 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

At least I have my backup team(Ravens) to watch. Then the Falcons might come away with a coach I like. Normally,  I'm 100% into basketball season now. Lol

Same, unfortunately Nets blow

This current playoff bracket is a perfect example of why I say keep an open mind when looking for coaches instead of locking in on a "offensive-minded coach" . 

Texans - Ryans (Defensive background)

Ravens - Harbough (Couldn't get an OC job, but coached Special teams and defense)

Lions - Campbell ( Never called offensive plays) 

Buccs - Bowles (Defensive Background) 

Bills - McDermott ( Defensive background)

Packers, 49ers, and Chiefs are the teams with HCs from offensive backgrounds in the hunt. If you throw in coaches in general, you got guys like Tomlin who was the Vikings DB coach before getting the job. If Saleh falls short, I'm keeping an open mind when it comes to the coaching search. We just need someone who understands what QBs need and what system they want. 

17 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

This current playoff bracket is a perfect example of why I say keep an open mind when looking for coaches instead of locking in on a "offensive-minded coach" . 

Ravens - Harbough (Couldn't get an OC job, but coached Special teams and defense)

Packers, 49ers, and Chiefs are the teams with HCs from offensive backgrounds in the hunt. If you throw in coaches in general, you got guys like Tomlin who was the Vikings DB coach before getting the job. If Saleh falls short, I'm keeping an open mind when it comes to the coaching search. We just need someone who understands what QBs need and what system they want. 

All teams in last 4 Super Bowls were led by offensive minded head coaches so my mind stays closed.😎

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

All teams in last 4 Super Bowls were led by offensive minded head coaches so my mind stays closed.😎

lol the last 4. 

I won't be mad if it turns out to be an offensive coach, but I'm not locking in on that assuming other coaches can't do it. I'm not trying to miss out on the next great coach because we got desperate. 

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

lol the last 4. 

I won't be mad if it turns out to be an offensive coach, but I'm not locking in on that assuming other coaches can't do it. I'm not trying to miss out on the next great coach because we got desperate. 

Saleh should be a solid HC.   Injuries and wrong qb kill his chance to be that guy.

John Harbaugh had been discussed to be let go by the front office until Lamar Jackson stepped in.

Edited by JetsandI

17 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Saleh should be a solid HC.   Injuries and wrong qb kill his chance to be that guy.

John Harbaugh had been discussed to be let go by the front office until Lamar Jackson stepped in.

Saleh's poor decision making led to a lot of the problems.  Injuries is a part of the game. Browns continued to be competitive even with a QB we had. 

Harbaugh didn't have a losing record until 7 years after he started. He's only had 2 total since 2008. Won a superbowl by year 5. They probably had discussions about it until they realized the lack of talent the team had . 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Many have leaned on good/great OCs as well. We went too inexperienced with coaching and QB. 

Most pass rushers don't dominate right away. 

Will McDonald is going to be a good player, at the end of the year he was grading well and getting pressure. He didn't get a lot of playing time at first. He has the skill set to be a good pass rusher.  Reminds me of how Jets fans bashed Q for years because he wasn't who they wanted and he didn't dominate right away. 

McDonald has the skillset to be a terror off the edge and is in the perfect defensive scheme to maximize his ability. 

Edited by NYJets4716

On 1/20/2024 at 6:32 PM, rickyt31 said:

It's about putting staffs together. Saleh has put together horrible offensive staffs. Campbell put together a great staff. Has a OC who everyone wants as a HC. Has a DC who teams want as a HC.