Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

23 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

so that's out the window for JD and Saleh who should be desperate

Why should JD be desperate?  The team will either make the playoffs or not based on who is on the team right now. A rookie will not move the needle. JD has not acted desperate so far. Now, if the team stays healthy and they fall short, then I can see Saleh being let go. 

Seeing this is a General Talk thread, allow me to pontificate.

Lets stop looking through the rose colored glasses for awhile, take off the blinders, and take a good look at what J.D. has accomplished during F.A.

J.D. has done a marvelous job at replacing ineffective OL with aging OL at both OT spots, both pushing their mid 30's and one coming off a pec injury last season. The other an aging OT who will be in Canton OH in the future. 

We have a starting calibre G in AVT who has been hurt the past 2 years, a second year Center who shows a ton of promise but has missed time due to injury.

We have a promising WR signing, but are unsure when he will be ready to go, and hopefully he recovers and becomes a factor for the Jets.

We have an aging S in Chuck Clark who missed the entire season due to an injury (ACL?).

A 40 Y.O. QB who is coming off an ACL

So, WHAT DO WE HAVE THAT MAKES US CONFIDENT THAT WE WILL BE IN THE PLAYOFF CONVERSATION!!!!

We have perhaps the most elite D in the entire league, hands down.

But when it comes to the Offense what we have in reality is a big fat.......IF, we have a MASH UNIT of players who could or could not make it through the season.

We're young on D, old on O, we're confident on D, hopeful on O. 

Our backups don't inspire confidence seeing how poorly they have played when given the opportunity. 

Which brings me to the draft, and the importance of it, and how more than ever the Jets need to step up to the plate and make crucial franchise altering picks.

Addressing the elephant in the room, there are multiple needs and to be sure OL and WR are sure needs, No.1 priority or No.1A take your pick.

IMHO, the Jets should draft the best OL available, I like Latham. That is what I want the Jets to draft on day 1, and my reasons for this are quite obvious. This is an incredibly deep WR class going all the way into the 5th round and beyond.

If the Jets cannot draft back and pick up more draft capitol, then in round 3 its the WR they think is best. The idea that the Jets will draft up and waste next years draft capitol just doesn't ring true to me.

They could send a 3rd and 4th rounder to a team and move back into the 2nd round and grabbing a WR. I mean that seems doable. For that matter we could swap and go WR in round one, and pick up an OL/T in round 2.

But the glaring need is to fortify the OL and draft for the future in a draft that historically views this one as one of the best OT classes in recent memory.  J.D. must not mess this up. 

J.D. has done an incredible F.A. job, if they all hold up and return to form or miss only insignificant time as all players do during the season. 

Throwing in some injury concern and attitude of QB, WR is top need for Jets. Next is LT and followed by SS.

Trading into 2nd round to grab one of WR is not a bad idea for general but not in case with Rodgers aboard. 

JD would win the executive of the year of 2024 if he managed to land one of top WRs at 10 and then traded back into 2nd round to grab OT.

1. Malik Nabers, Marvin Harrison Jr or Rome Odunze
  2. Kiran Amegadjie or Kingsley Suamataia

Still, I am perfectly comfortable with trading out of top 10 to get either Brian Thomas Jr or Adonai Mitchell or possibly Keon Coleman.  Depending on compensation, Jets could stay back and pick up either aforementioned OT in 2nd or pick up a different skill player and then use the same method as above for OT situation.

JD needs to come out with one of these 3. Nabers, Alt or Harrison. It would probably not take to much to move up a few spots to get one of these guys. Your having 4 QB's go in the top 10. I think that happens. Then you have these 3 so your looking at going into the top 7 to make sure you get one but then you have Dallas and Brock would could sneak into the top 10 making it 9 players. The Jets are right there to get one of these 3. 

21 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

JD needs to come out with one of these 3. Nabers, Alt or Harrison. It would probably not take to much to move up a few spots to get one of these guys. Your having 4 QB's go in the top 10. I think that happens. Then you have these 3 so your looking at going into the top 7 to make sure you get one but then you have Dallas and Brock would could sneak into the top 10 making it 9 players. The Jets are right there to get one of these 3. 

Neither of the players you mentioned will be available when the Jets draft and it makes absolutely no sense in trading up (to me) when you can sit tight and still get some of the can't miss OT in the draft not called Alt..

The same is true with WR, granted Harrison and Nabers are considered the can't miss of the draft, but Odunze or Thomas are no slouches either. In fact Thomas is faster than Nabers and 10 pounds heavier and 3 inches taller. 

Latham is considered identical to Alt and Lathams pass blocking and run blocking if below, IF, are comparable to Alts in every way. 

If that is the case, why trade up, let the board play itself out, if anything, a team desiring to grab a need and see's the value at ten, then the Jets could still  move down and come away looking mighty good.

Do you find it strange that most teams look to get help on the OL and espcially T spot. Where is Becton? Not one team has even looked at besides the one vist with Cinn back in March. This might be crazy but if no team picks him up I would be kind of shocked at how far a guy like this can fall. 

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Do you find it strange that most teams look to get help on the OL and espcially T spot. Where is Becton? Not one team has even looked at besides the one vist with Cinn back in March. This might be crazy but if no team picks him up I would be kind of shocked at how far a guy like this can fall. 

Because his tape was beyond dreadful last year and he has an attitude problem. He won’t be in the league much longer 

21 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I think the Jets take Latham if he’s there

Wouldn’t be against it, I’ve done a 180 him most of my opinion on him was he wasn’t a good fit cause I thought he was a poor fit for a zone scheme. Now that we’re switching to a gap scheme I think he would be a solid fit for us at either T spot.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:47 AM, Big T said:

Neither of the players you mentioned will be available when the Jets draft and it makes absolutely no sense in trading up (to me) when you can sit tight and still get some of the can't miss OT in the draft not called Alt..

The same is true with WR, granted Harrison and Nabers are considered the can't miss of the draft, but Odunze or Thomas are no slouches either. In fact Thomas is faster than Nabers and 10 pounds heavier and 3 inches taller. 

Latham is considered identical to Alt and Lathams pass blocking and run blocking if below, IF, are comparable to Alts in every way. 

If that is the case, why trade up, let the board play itself out, if anything, a team desiring to grab a need and see's the value at ten, then the Jets could still  move down and come away looking mighty good.

While I think Latham is good he’s nothing like Alt. Alt is the only sure fire stud in this draft the rest are based off scheme fit and guys that might need a year to acclimate 

On 4/10/2024 at 2:18 PM, GangGreen420 said:

Because his tape was beyond dreadful last year and he has an attitude problem. He won’t be in the league much longer 

if you remember there were many people on this board that didn't want us to draft Becton, with a first-round pick. I agree with your post Becton has been dreadful, I also think he won't be in the league much longer.

• Like 1