Dobbs to Vikings

The Gnat

8 hours ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

I don't even know if I would describe anything that was said as a criticism lol. Just an observation as no one really passed judgement. It's all just discussing improvements we hope to see as time goes on. 

I don't think your post in particular was overly critical except for this part:

14 hours ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

Now, this could easily be a playbook unfamiliarity thing and he simply just had no idea what to actually look for

I don't think this weighed nearly heavily enough in your analysis of the performance. It was 100% unequivocally being unfamiliar with everything. Kirk was still missing the open man a year and a half deep in this offensive scheme. He didn't even know his teammates' names. Understanding the difference in gait that TJ, KJ, and Addison have when they run to be able to lead them and anticipate how routes break is not something that is going to happen in game or even over the next 3-4 weeks. 

It just sounded negative in what was by all accounts an unprecedented win in nearly impossible circumstances. Other professional QBs have gone on record to talk about how incredibly difficult this was. If you think about not taking a single rep with your team mates, and then having your coach give you 5 - 10 second thoughts about what to look for, but then say "trust your legs, trust yourself, take what they give you" I think Dobbs did all that was asked of him and more.

I actually hope that Hall can come back and play because the offense will function at a higher level. I also wouldn't expect Dobbs to perform much better this week, even with a full week of practice. The offense will probably stay very simple, and I am willing to bet that KO is going to tell him the same thing - if you aren't comfortable with what you see, make something happen. 

All in all, I think KO deserves the most credit for that win, followed by Dobbs because of his immediate trust in KO and the team rallying around him. I wouldn't expect to see vast improvement from week to week while Dobbs is playing.

• Like 6

Cris Carter: "Mad respect for Josh Dobbs , what he did today is hard to understand, unless you’ve been in the @NFL 💜"

Chuck Foreman: "Great commitment from everybody today! We stayed focused, had another new quarterback, made big time adjustments and overall a great team win!"

Tommy Kramer: "Big win! Hall and Dobbs played well, immediate future looks good!

I was at the Cleveland Clinic this past summer, they said I had 14 known concussions, possibly more. I’m glad the league is taking this more seriously. I wish Jaren Hall the best in his recovery."

Carl Eller: "So inspired by the fight of this Vikings team in the face of adversity. Dobbs
is impressive!!!"

Jake Reed: "Great job Dobbs! We can build on that! #SKOL"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Cris Carter: "Mad respect for Josh Dobbs , what he did today is hard to understand, unless you’ve been in the @NFL 💜"

Chuck Foreman: "Great commitment from everybody today! We stayed focused, had another new quarterback, made big time adjustments and overall a great team win!"

Tommy Kramer: "Big win! Hall and Dobbs played well, immediate future looks good!

I was at the Cleveland Clinic this past summer, they said I had 14 known concussions, possibly more. I’m glad the league is taking this more seriously. I wish Jaren Hall the best in his recovery."

Carl Eller: "So inspired by the fight of this Vikings team in the face of adversity. Dobbs
is impressive!!!"

Jake Reed: "Great job Dobbs! We can build on that! #SKOL"

Great to read these comments from Viking greats!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

Great to read these comments from Viking greats!!

Fran Tarkenton: "How'd he do it? It's impossible for him to do what he did. He got us 30-plus points. He had to deal with the crowd noise. The position, when you come in five days before, nobody can do that. It's impossible to learn the offense. He didn't even know the players' names. And he certainly didn't understand the offense."

"People don't understand the system is important, and our head coach, he really understands how to put together an offensive team. Kirk Cousins may have been the best quarterback in the NFL until he got hurt. But even with the great system, it's impossible to do what Josh Dobbs did. Impossible. But he did it. It was a great thrill for me."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vikings-legend-fran-tarkenton-salutes-joshua-dobbs-for-stunning-debut-its-impossible-what-he-did/?fbclid=IwAR1FQ1oTOinXqXbsKX3NCiHubVSH8qxt9ggncP0nQbcG61NR9zD-qGKO09A

• Like 6

Risner:  “All this from a guy who's still living in a hotel. I can only imagine, bro. I know what it was like to learn this in three weeks and have to get on the field. His was what? Three days? Just a stud, man.”

Winners of four straight, the Vikings (5-4) are very much in the NFC playoff picture even though Dobbs is still learning everyone's names.

Dubbs: “I know a lot of nicknames per se, but name names, that’s for this week, that’s the assignment for this week."

https://www.kare11.com/article/sports/nfl/vikings/vikings-show-midseason-misadventures-neednt-result-in-giving-up-on-2023-season/89-6d208d4e-d42d-497f-bbb0-33c10fcbd22c?fbclid=IwAR3R6Chx1hIie_VMPiikj8LgS6GG7nxYbvUJEfhdULHZ78AZ4cEEdDFgrfg

KOC: “I didn’t know he’d be available, and then the Cardinals made that move, and I was like, This is a guy. I just wanted to see him around this team in this locker room, be able to coach him, be able to call plays for him and see if we can potentially put him in a great situation and then let him just go play.” 

“I would say you need to have composure; you need to be intelligent. And beyond all that, [once he was here] I mean I was talking to him a lot, to be able to digest the information that I’m giving to him in real time, and be able to function and still go play quarterback, some of the plays he made, some of the throws he made means doing it all for the first time in an NFL game, on the road against a really good defense. That’s the reason why Josh was one of those guys that I immediately wanted. It hit my brain to get him.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/why-josh-dobbs?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook