Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, Forge said:

He should be gone, but with defensive playcallers I think that they are working at a disadvantage for a head coaching gig and honestly, I'd be curious to see if he's a little bit of collateral damage from Brandon Staley's tenure. Its stupid for that to be the case, but with the nfl you just never know. Defensive wunderkind, young, etc etc. 

I just hope NFL teams go off of this list and not...you know...reality:

5rhbnkb6lgac1.jpeg?width=812&auto=webp&s=bf95a2ba4fc4f4752297c5347d630cede426541e

• Like 4

21 hours ago, DawgX said:

Why would Johnson want to go to Carolina? They'd have to offer him money he couldn't refuse for him to take that job, IMO.

On the flip side, Atlanta is very attractive. Lots of cap space. Offensive weapons he could utilize. Ability to pick his own QB to tie himself to. Solid DC and defensive group already in place.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Apparently there is whispers he is ready to move on and would ask for a mutual release.

If that is true, then the Chargers should be all over Mike T. This may seem crazy, but he would be a better fit for them then either Harbaugh or Belichick. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DawgX said:

Why would Johnson want to go to Carolina? They'd have to offer him money he couldn't refuse for him to take that job, IMO.

It’s his home area, but that was true last season when he turned them down. I don’t see any reason it would be different now, especially seeing what they did to Frank Reich and his buddy Duce Staley this season. 

I think IF Johnson leaves for a HC gig, it’ll be for the Chargers. But I’m hearing a lot of names for the Chargers. 

• Like 2

Just now, Louis Friend said:

It’s his home area, but that was true last season when he turned them down. I don’t see any reason it would be different now, especially seeing what they did to Frank Reich and his buddy Duce Staley this season. 

I think IF Johnson leaves for a HC gig, it’ll be for the Chargers. But I’m hearing a lot of names for the Chargers. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he came to Atlanta. Ben Johnson grew up in Asheville which is about 2 hours from Charlotte, but also only about 3-1/2 hours from Atlanta. and way less than that to Flowery Branch where the Falcons have their facilities (about 2-1/2 hours). Technically, both teams would be considered home teams for a dude from Asheville. 

Atlanta has:

1) a good owner who spends to the cap and is patient with his coaches

2) a good GM who gets talented players for his coaches to work with.

3) a DC and defensive structure that is similar to Detroits (Glenn and Nielsen both run variations on Dennis Allen's NO Scheme) that he could feel comfortable with and want to keep without having to blow up two sides of the ball and an ascending defensive group.

4) offensive weapons to play with

5) lots of cap space

6) Ability to pick his QB

7) Full draft + a 3rd (maybe 2nd) to work with.

• Like 1

Here’s a question I always think about around this time….

Which HC that are being fired will be the top commodity as a coordinator next year.

McDaniels likely ends up somewhere with Belichick. Staley to Minnesota if Flores leaves? Will anyone want to ruin their offense with Arthur Smith as OC? Or maybe Dennis Allen back as “top DC” somewhere?

Teams need to move on from the Fangio cronies lol. 

19 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Here’s a question I always think about around this time….

Which HC that are being fired will be the top commodity as a coordinator next year.

McDaniels likely ends up somewhere with Belichick. Staley to Minnesota if Flores leaves? Will anyone want to ruin their offense with Arthur Smith as OC? Or maybe Dennis Allen back as “top DC” somewhere?

To me, it’s more about systems. Most teams don’t want to spend money and picks switching offensive/defensive systems to replace players that don’t fit that coordinator’s system, especially if your top players don’t fit that system. That’s why you see a lot of retreads because most guys only play one way, so it’s easier to plug n play a coordinator than a whole new philosophy. Very few coordinators structure their playbook around their players, which is why guys like Ben Johnson are top choices besides low experience because that’s what he did, and it worked, and you hope he can do it for you as well. Guys like Staley and Arthur Smith will end up on teams that want to stick to their coaching philosophies. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

To me, it’s more about systems. Most teams don’t want to spend money and picks switching offensive/defensive systems to replace players that don’t fit that coordinator’s system, especially if your top players don’t fit that system. That’s why you see a lot of retreads because most guys only play one way, so it’s easier to plug n play a coordinator than a whole new philosophy. Very few coordinators structure their playbook around their players, which is why guys like Ben Johnson are top choices besides low experience because that’s what he did, and it worked, and you hope he can do it for you as well. Guys like Staley and Arthur Smith will end up on teams that want to stick to their coaching philosophies. 

Problem is that Arthur Smith's system is so different than anyone else's in the league that he's going to be an OL coach.

6 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Jim Harbaugh hopefully. That’s our #1. After that, it’s a mix of different names depending on who you ask. I personally would like to interview Todd Monken as HC over Ben Johnson if Harbaugh falls through.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, game3525 said:

If that is true, then the Chargers should be all over Mike T. This may seem crazy, but he would be a better fit for them then either Harbaugh or Belichick. 

He just needs to pick a better OC.

7 hours ago, scar988 said:

Problem is that Arthur Smith's system is so different than anyone else's in the league that he's going to be an OL coach.

Can you please elaborate on this? 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 10:10 AM, Trentwannabe said:

What can Cards fans, Browns fans and Vikings fans tell me about Drew Petzing?

Also was Mike Zimmer and his defense out of touch by the end of his tenure? Wondering he would be a good veteran DC option for some first time HC.

Petzing had an alright year 1 as an OC in Arizona. Decent playcaller but it's tough to know when you have the worst (or 2nd worst) receiving core in the league. James Conner has in all reality had a career year. He has a chance to hit 1000 yards in this last week. Our offensive line has been decent, great first year for Paris Johnson. Kyler has been pretty good since returning. Josh Dobbs was great for 3-ish weeks. 

Don't really see him being a head coach after this year though. Still way too much of an unproven commodity commanding an offense.