Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I think people have forgotten how many people have gotten second chances in this league despite what they have done... This is like nothing compared to some stuff. Josh McDaniel literally took the Colts HC job and then backed out hours later and still ended up as a HC despite every fan hating his guts.

100%. The guy could have Vince McMahon'ed the owner's daughter and at the end of the day, he'd probably still get a phone call if the Lions offense dominates again next year.

The Commanders are definitely butthurt about it, I'm sure. I am assuming they're mad they waited until the Lions season ended and got a "no."

If DET is successful next year Ben Johnson will have his pick of spots.   Let’s be real.  Teams have short memories.  

The fact Josh McDaniels got another HC opp after the IND fiasco should erase any doubt.   It’s not like  Johnson killed puppies on video here.  

Edited by Broncofan

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If DET is successful next year Ben Johnson will have his pick of spots.   Let’s be real.  Teams have short memories.  

The fact Josh McDaniels got another HC opp after the IND fiasco should erase any doubt.   It’s not Johnson killed puppies on video here.  

He may need to brush up his interview skills if he wants to land in a great situation next year.  There's a lot of smoke out there from reputable sources that his interview was subpar. 

I also haven't been very impressed with what I've heard about him from a leadership perspective.  As others have said, being HC is about more than just calling plays.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Was he supposed to wait until they landed?

If the criticism is that he didn't do it in person, fair enough. But it's post COVID now and the in person stuff is overrated IMO.

They were coming out to meet with him in person, so evidently they didn’t feel that way. Nor did all the other teams who did in-person interviews with their candidates.

And more to the point, what he was “supposed to do” was have the courtesy to tell them he’s out before the half-dozen or more people took a day or more out of their schedule to fly halfway across the country just to meet with him. Total disrespect for their time.

And before we get there, no, they were not going to fly out there anyway for Aaron Glenn. I think they were interviewing Glenn primarily to get more insight into Johnson and potential staff hires. Same as they were doing with Anthony Weaver in Baltimore with MacDonald. I do not believe they would have gone to Detroit just to meet with Glenn. There were always 3 primary candidates for this job, as it became clear in the end: Johnson (top choice), MacDonald (second choice), and Quinn. 

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

They were coming out to meet with him in person, so evidently they didn’t feel that way. Nor did all the other teams who did in-person interviews with their candidates.

And more to the point, what he was “supposed to do” was have the courtesy to tell them he’s out before the half-dozen or more people took a day or more out of their schedule to fly halfway across the country just to meet with him. Total disrespect for their time.

And before we get there, no, they were not going to fly out there anyway for Aaron Glenn. I think they were interviewing Glenn primarily to get more insight into Johnson and potential staff hires. Same as they were doing with Anthony Weaver in Baltimore with MacDonald. I do not believe they would have gone to Detroit just to meet with Glenn. There were always 3 primary candidates for this job, as it became clear in the end: Johnson (top choice), MacDonald (second choice), and Quinn. 

So let me get this straight. It is disrespectful to turn down a job that you haven't accepted or been offered because the people that are going to interview you are on the way.... but putting on sham interviews with people that your real candidate literally works with is ok and not a waste of time. Pleaseeeeeeeee.

Commanders fans are throwing a fit. I get it. You got scorned. It hurts. Ben didn't do anything wrong though. He was interested in the job. He interviewed for the job. He decided he didn't want the job and let them know when he made that decision. That is just how the process works. People can change their minds.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

He may need to brush up his interview skills if he wants to land in a great situation next year.  There's a lot of smoke out there from reputable sources that his interview was subpar. 

I also haven't been very impressed with what I've heard about him from a leadership perspective.  As others have said, being HC is about more than just calling plays.

No way... the team that got left at the alter is leaking that the guy they wanted is bad at interviewing???? I am SHOCKED.

He would have been your HC if he took that second interview. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, e16bball said:

I don't know exactly when the interview was scheduled or how much notice they needed, but the season ended on Saturday for Johnson, the interview was for Monday, so at most there's what 24 hours' notice? The guy may have legitimately not known.

He did clearly communicate with Washington that he was lukewarm at best about the job, I see no other way to interpret an OC asking for $15MM/year when he's on something like 10% of that now. Right away when his agent relayed that price tag, every single person in Washington should have been clued in to keep options open.

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

No way... the team that got left at the alter is leaking that the guy they wanted is bad at interviewing???? I am SHOCKED.

He would have been your HC if he took that second interview. 

Aren't you the guy who said they believed Johnson's agent over Schefter regarding the $15mm demand? Lmao.  All of a sudden, you don't think interested parties can be honest?

29 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Surely you must understand the difference between “turning down a job” and “the whole organization is aboard a private plane to meet with you and while they’re all in the air, you tell them ‘no thanks, I’m not actually interested after all.’”

Not as bad as accepting it and then turning it down a few hours later

23 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

So let me get this straight. It is disrespectful to turn down a job that you haven't accepted or been offered because the people that are going to interview you are on the way.... but putting on sham interviews with people that your real candidate literally works with is ok and not a waste of time. Pleaseeeeeeeee.

Commanders fans are throwing a fit. I get it. You got scorned. It hurts. Ben didn't do anything wrong though. He was interested in the job. He interviewed for the job. He decided he didn't want the job and let them know when he made that decision. That is just how the process works. People can change their minds.

Both things can be true.

Turning down a job because you think the employer is a dumpster fire is disrespectful. Rejection stings and the team is free to feel however they want about that.

But that doesn't mean turning down a job is wrong or unprofessional. Johnson is entitled to not want to work with the Commanders, and the Commanders are entitled to think that attitude is rude.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't know exactly when the interview was scheduled or how much notice they needed, but the season ended on Saturday for Johnson, the interview was for Monday, so at most there's what 24 hours' notice? The guy may have legitimately not known.

Macdonald was Monday for Washington. Glenn and Johnson were Tuesday. Just to clear that up. 

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He did clearly communicate with Washington that he was lukewarm at best about the job, I see no other way to interpret an OC asking for $15MM/year when he's on something like 10% of that now. Right away when his agent relayed that price tag, every single person in Washington should have been clued in to keep options open.

He did? Outside of the money (that's a negotiation)? Then we're morons for holding out all of our hope that he would change his mind. 

• Like 2

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

Aren't you the guy who said they believed Johnson's agent over Schefter regarding the $15mm demand? Lmao.  All of a sudden, you don't think interested parties can be honest?

All I said is there was conflicting information and that Schefter is literally known for spinning things for his buddies in NFL offices. I have no clue what Ben Johnson's demands were and won't pretend to either, but I am not going to just ignore the possibility that maybe what is being leaked isn't true.

Maybe he sucks at interviewing. I don't know. But it is a lot harder to believe that is the case when the WHOLE way through the process everyone linked Ben Johnson to the Commanders until the day he turned them down. And then all of a sudden it's about money. It's about interviews. On and on....

It is pretty clear what happened here. The Commanders wanted Ben Johnson. Ben Johnson didn't want the Commanders. As soon as that happens the discourse just magically changes into pointing out all the potential flaws he has. Crazy!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Macdonald was Monday for Washington. Glenn and Johnson were Tuesday. Just to clear that up. 

Ahh thank you, then 48 hours. That's a tougher sell.

23 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

He did? Outside of the money (that's a negotiation)? Then we're morons for holding out all of our hope that he would change his mind. 

I mean, yeah that's how you let people know you aren't interested. If I get notice from a recruiter, I don't say, "no way", I say, "okay, I'd be looking for about [**** off price]" and what do you know, they don't get back to me.

And yeah if it was 48 hours that's bad communication on Johnson, but if the Commanders heard that first quote and responded "that's our guy for sure", that's them not reading the tea leaves. Bad communication all around.