Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Both things can be true.

Turning down a job because you think the employer is a dumpster fire is disrespectful. Rejection stings and the team is free to feel however they want about that.

But that doesn't mean turning down a job is wrong or unprofessional. Johnson is entitled to not want to work with the Commanders, and the Commanders are entitled to think that attitude is rude.

Fair. I mean how the Commanders take the rejection is on them. In my mind I guess I was just saying it isn't morally corrupt to turn down the job if they did it in the most respectful way they could.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Ahh thank you, then 48 hours. That's a tougher sell.

I mean, yeah that's how you let people know you aren't interested. If I get notice from a recruiter, I don't say, "no way", I say, "okay, I'd be looking for about [**** off price]" and what do you know, they don't get back to me.

And yeah if it was 48 hours that's bad communication on Johnson, but if the Commanders heard that first quote and responded "that's our guy for sure", that's them not reading the tea leaves. Bad communication all around.

I am 100% with you that we are in no way free of blame of botching this. We were 100% caught with our pants down. I do believe the salary was a part of a pie. That's a negotiation. I am willing to buy Ben's blame in this too - could be cold feet, strung the team along hoping to use it as leverage and when his options evaporated he bailed, actually wanting to finish the fight, whatever. I don't think it's all on Washington misreading the situation - just more on buying into they had their guy and then didn't. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

All I said is there was conflicting information and that Schefter is literally known for spinning things for his buddies in NFL offices. I have no clue what Ben Johnson's demands were and won't pretend to either, but I am not going to just ignore the possibility that maybe what is being leaked isn't true.

Maybe he sucks at interviewing. I don't know. But it is a lot harder to believe that is the case when the WHOLE way through the process everyone linked Ben Johnson to the Commanders until the day he turned them down. And then all of a sudden it's about money. It's about interviews. On and on....

It is pretty clear what happened here. The Commanders wanted Ben Johnson. Ben Johnson didn't want the Commanders. As soon as that happens the discourse just magically changes into pointing out all the potential flaws he has. Crazy!

Actually, Josina tweeted about the $15mm demand several weeks before the regular season even ended.

Schefter separately confirmed the truth of the issue, if not the exact dollar amount.

It's even more funny when considering Dan Campbell's salary is ~$4mm.  Johnson clearly was never serious about leaving his safe, comfortable, no-stress OC role.

Edited by HTTRDynasty

23 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I am 100% with you that we are in no way free of blame of botching this. We were 100% caught with our pants down. I do believe the salary was a part of a pie. That's a negotiation. I am willing to buy Ben's blame in this too - could be cold feet, strung the team along hoping to use it as leverage and when his options evaporated he bailed, actually wanting to finish the fight, whatever. I don't think it's all on Washington misreading the situation - just more on buying into they had their guy and then didn't. 

It's not so much the number on the dollar figure as it is the message of the dollar figure. There's a pretty well established market for HCs, and when you ask to be paid like someone you aren't, the implication is "something isn't right here and I need a bunch of money to make up for it".

But overall yeah the timing here makes it seem like bad communication all around. Washington probably feels more hurt than you'd expect because the entire flight over they're talking about how Johnson fits in, only to land and get the bad news. And with more than a day to think it over, plus the fact that Johnson went into the process not particularly motivated to leave, I wouldn't go as far to say "unprofessional", but it's bad communication. And Washington should have read the room better.

Adam Schefter on Sheehan (local radio guy) just now:

• Quinn was hot in the running the whole time.  He believes they like that Quinn has previous coaching experience considering the context of the organizations (new GM, etc).
  • Among these candidates they got more people backing Quinn than any other candidate with unsolicited calls, people they were surprised to even hear from.
  • Ben Johnson after meeting with Seattle he realized that the idea that he wasn't excited or perhaps ready to be a HC.  He suggested that he's the type of personality that might not dig change.

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Ben Johnson after meeting with Seattle he realized that the idea that he wasn't excited or perhaps ready to be a HC.  He suggested that he's the type of personality that might not dig change.

I would totally understand that and it confirms why he made the massive ask in terms of salary.. similarly the Detroit Pistons coach (Monty Williams) did not want to take a coaching job this year, but they made an insane offer that he couldn't turn down.

All the BS that comes with being a HC may not be worth it to him, especially when he can chill where he is happy, still make millions, and maybe win a SB

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, adamq said:

Any word on Harbaugh's target for OC?

For Chargers' fan sakes I hope it's not Greg Roman.

Roman would make a fantastic run game coordinator, but to say his pass game designs are simplistic are an insult to simpletons.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It's the way he did it.  This is the 2nd year in a row.  Actions have consequences.

Just like having the worst facilities and one of the worst rosters in the league means you might not get the guy you want unless you overpay. 

13 minutes ago, Jameson_Neat said:

Just like having the worst facilities and one of the worst rosters in the league means you might not get the guy you want unless you overpay. 

We got the #1 GM candidate this year, which matters much more to me long term than landing the #1 HC candidate.  Also wouldn't want to overpay for an HC whose heart isn't in it.  So, I'm good.

17 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

We got the #1 GM candidate this year, which matters much more to me long term than landing the #1 HC candidate.  Also wouldn't want to overpay for an HC whose heart isn't in it.  So, I'm good.

I will give you this about Dan Quinn, his heart is 100% in building the culture and developing the team. THat's the difference between him and Ron Rivera right there. Rivera wasn't in it by the end.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, scar988 said:

I will give you this about Dan Quinn, his heart is 100% in building the culture and developing the team. THat's the difference between him and Ron Rivera right there. Rivera wasn't in it by the end.

GIven that he admitted he did zero actual coaching for THREE years.....I'd say Ron wasn't in it for a lot of his time there (and it showed).   I mean, the guy didn't even know they could be eliminated in Week 17 last year.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1