Joe Barry HAS Been Fired, Who Do You Want Next?

Brit Pack

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

He’ll just wait for Harbaugh and follow him…

That is the conventional wisdom. The reality is he's only been with Harbaugh for 2 seasons at Michigan. If Harbaugh goes to Atlanta, believe he's on 3rd interview, he may see what a mess that team is and want something better. Turns the Packer defense into something, he's a HC candidate in a year or two. Fails in Atlanta and he's back in college. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Michigan probably pays him more than any NFL team.

Well, he's not getting the head coaching gig at MIchigan. Moore is getting that. So, the question isn't the money, it's what is his ultimate goal? Does he want to be HC in the NFL? If so, he needs to get out of Michigan. 

You can also be sure kids are hitting the transfer portal once Harbaugh jumps ship. It's time for Minter to get out while he's on top and a hot prospect. 

Joe Barry in 3 playoff games:

vs SF: gave up 6 pts (19 below opponent's avg)

vs DAL: gave up 16 "meaningful" pts through 3 quarters (6.5 below opponent's 3quarter avg)

vs SF: gave up 24 pts (5 pts below opponent's avg)

How sure are we that we don't want him in the playoffs going forward?

This game doesn't help clarify the situation. Defense played well for 3 quarters but couldn't stop them when they needed to at the end. Forced no turnovers. The usual mix of positives and negatives.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Joe Barry in 3 playoff games:

vs SF: gave up 6 pts (19 below opponent's avg)

vs DAL: gave up 16 "meaningful" pts through 3 quarters (6.5 below opponent's 3quarter avg)

vs SF: gave up 24 pts (5 pts below opponent's avg)

How sure are we that we don't want him in the playoffs going forward?

I'm sure I want him gone.

Will he be gone? I've no clue....but I feel we need both a scheme **and culture** change on defense.

Seen it all for years now. Been there. Done it.

I want a defense that swarms to the ball and brings contact with violent intent. Hasnt been that way in GB for quite awhile.

Time for a change IMO. I'd enthusiastically welcome the opportunity. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm sure I want him gone.

Will he be gone? I've no clue....but I feel we need both a scheme **and culture** change on defense.

Seen it all for years now. Been there. Done it.

I want a defense that swarms to the ball and brings contact with violent intent. Hasnt been that way in GB for quite awhile.

Time for a change IMO. I'd enthusiastically welcome the opportunity. 

I want players who enthusiastically swarm to the ball. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I want players who enthusiastically swarm to the ball. 

Sure....but a large part of that is scheme and coaching.

A coach that *mandates* getting after it both schematically and personally will have his players in better position and will entice them to be aggressive - or get weeded out.

Barry's mandate is hang back and dont let them get the big play. Meanwhile, the players under this scheme are slow to the ball and not aggressive tacklers IMO. 

I'm tire of watching other DCs bring these qualities to their units and we're stuck in limbo.

I'm hopeful of a change. Doing this same Barry-thing wont get us there IMO.

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

A coach that *mandates* getting after it both schematically and personally will have his players in better position and will entice them to be aggressive - or get weeded out.

Barry's mandate is hang back and dont let them get the big play. Meanwhile, the players under this scheme are slow to the ball and not aggressive tacklers IMO. 

I'm tire of watching other DCs bring these qualities to their units and we're stuck in limbo.

He's capable of warping his own mind in order to justify keeping Barry when our defense was completely healthy. He likes to suggest the players suck even though only two teams paid more towards the salary cap than the Packers, only 2 players (Ford, Stokes) weren't healthy and the average draft position of our defense was 80th overall.

Yet he doesn't want Gute fired either.

There's no excusable position anyone can land on where they don't want Barry or Gute gone.

His position is inexcusable.

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

How much slower to the ball are they and is that because they are starting out in the wrong spot, ending up in the wrong spot, or just not that talented?

I saw Kenny Clark in backside pursuit playing possessed, for example. He's ******* awesome. 

I also saw aggressive tackle ... attempts.

Is it the coordinators fault if we have guys missing tackles? 

It is simultaneously true that our defense wildly underperformed during much of the regular season and that they played well the last 4ish games.

That unit would benefit from both a talent upgrade and a coaching upgrade. But how sure are we that we'd get a coaching upgrade?

A couple months ago, people here would have drooled at the idea of Brandon Staley. How about now? Would we rather have Staley in the postseason or Barry?

If anything, this success at the end of the year is awesome because it gives MLF a lot of flexibility. If he has someone he likes more. Awesome. I'll be really excited. If he likes Barry more. Awesome. I'll be really excited if we retool our secondary.

5 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

I don’t think Barry is as bad as he can be made out to be.  But you want to be trying to get better, so I think it’s time for a change

He overachieved with a weak secondary, but is underachieving with the front 7 talent, IMO. We could easily have been Houston getting blown out yesterday, but we weren't. 

I still want a change, but unfortunately I am puckering up for MLF to have Barry extended. Not what I want, but nothing I can do to change it if that's what MLF does. I do think it could be worse. It could also be a lot better, and we deserve better. You just have to make sure that you find the better that is actually out there. And you have to pay to get it. 

3 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

You just have to make sure that you find the better that is actually out there. And you have to pay to get it. 

I agree, and I think fans tend to overlook this.  I also agree with LaFleur that constantly firing coaches sets a bad precedent.

That said, this year appears to have some guys available 

• Like 1