Antonio Pierce named HC

NCOUGHMAN

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

The big question is;

Would you prefer AP and Telesco or Gruden with complete control, that’s likely the options we have here, right?

I'd have to take Telesco over Gruden as GM. And hope that AP gets a mulligan on OC. 

Gruden can coach an offense. Bowers would have 15 touches a game in his offense. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

This is fair.. 

And the Lions will eventually crumble once he leave. See Dan Quinn post Shanahan. 

The defensive coach needs a great OC. Problem is, if they are good they are gone quick. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

This is fair.. 

Fair, but AP and Campbell are very different aside from being former players and rah-rah guys. Campbell spent around a decade in the league before getting a HC nod. 

He also wouldn't have given the ""business decisions" speech. He would've said it was 100% on him for the guys not being prepared to win. We know this, because he actually did that. 

Guys may wanna hit the club with Pierce, but they'll run through a wall for Campbell. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

And the Lions will eventually crumble once he leave. See Dan Quinn post Shanahan. 

The defensive coach needs a great OC. Problem is, if they are good they are gone quick. 

I think they'll be alright when Johnson leaves, depending on who he takes with him. 

Scottie Montgomery, Tanner Engstrand, Mark Brunell...there's some potential there. Probably not near Johnson's level, but we'll see. 

One thing Detroit has going for them is plenty of bright minds will be lining up to replace Ben. They have a ton of offensive talent and attracting high level coordinators won't be an issue for at least a few years. 

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

The big question is;

Would you prefer AP and Telesco or Gruden with complete control, that’s likely the options we have here, right?

Honestly? Gruden, if we're sticking specifically to ball. 

His drafting is bonkers. But we were on an upward trajectory. That's undeniable. He proved he could still coach in the NFL and adapt well enough to not become a dinosaur. 

Cause for celebration? Hardly. But I can't deny the guy genuinely knows ball. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

His drafting is bonkers. But we were on an upward trajectory. That's undeniable. He proved he could still coach in the NFL and adapt well enough to not become a dinosaur. 

Yep, I actually like Gruden as purely a coach, but he’s become a side show almost. His personnel decisions are erratic and impulsive which is never a good thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

It took Gruden 3 seasons to get to .500 (8-8) From A team that was one year out of the playoffs. 

For the money he was paid, that’s a disappointment

His DC choices were awful too. Paul Guenther 😂

Edited by bucksavage1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

It took Gruden 3 seasons to get to .500 (8-8) From A team that was one year out of the playoffs. 

For the money he was paid, that’s a disappointment

His DC choices were awful too. Paul Guenther 😂

And wasn’t it Rich Bisaccia who got to the playoffs rather than Gruden aswell?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

It was. Gruden was fired at 3-2, but it did feel like we’d finally started to reach where he wanted the team to be before the allegations came out which forced his “resignation”.

It taking 4 seasons to get there wasn’t ideal considering the money he was getting paid, though. It’s very rare that HCs get to their 4th season after missing the playoffs in the previous 3.

I’d really, really rather not have him come in and try to blow the whole thing up for another slow rebuild yet again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

It was. Gruden was fired at 3-2, but it did feel like we’d finally started to reach where he wanted the team to be before the allegations came out which forced his “resignation”.

It taking 4 seasons to get there wasn’t ideal considering the money he was getting paid, though. It’s very rare that HCs get to their 4th season after missing the playoffs in the previous 3.

I’d really, really rather not have him come in and try to blow the whole thing up for another slow rebuild yet again.

What a mess all that was too with Ruggs and all. And the DC hires as said above is a good reminder of why not to bring Gruden back.

• Like 2

Who are the top candidates this year? In no order and off the top of my head

OCs

• Ben Johnson, Lions 
  • Liam Coen, Bucs 
  • Ryan Grubbs, Seahawks 
  • Zac Robinson, Falcons 
  • Frank Smith, Dolphins 
  • Joe Brady, Bills
  • Bobby Slowik, Texans

Former HCs

• Mike Vrabel
  • Robert Saleh
  • Bill Belicheck
  • Jon Gruden
  • Doug Pederson, probably fired
  • Zac Taylor, maybe fired
  • Mike McCarthy, maybe fired
  • Brian Flores

Not saying all of those are good choices, but some I can see getting some buzz by end of year.

14 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yes, it was. Gruden talked a big game and delivered mid results. Considering that he traded Khalil Mack and then produced some of the worst drafts ever, he can’t be considered as a coach again.

To those who think Gruden just wants to coach without personnel input… that’s a head coach and GM power struggle waiting to happen

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Yes, it was. Gruden talked a big game and delivered mid results. Considering that he traded Khalil Mack and then produced some of the worst drafts ever, he can’t be considered as a coach again.

To those who think Gruden just wants to coach without personnel input… that’s a head coach and GM power struggle waiting to happen

Gruden showed his offense was up to date and not some relic. However a third go round just seems ridiculous to me what if it’s starts very slow ?. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Gruden showed his offense was up to date and not some relic. However a third go round just seems ridiculous to me what if it’s starts very slow ?. 

Gruden proved that he can build & design an offense - However I wouldn't want him as HC again.
But I would consider him as an adviser for hiring staff for the offense side, especially with an defensive minded HC like AP.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/GrudJo0.htm

His offenses the 4 years he was here ranked :

Yards: 23rd, 11th , 8th, 11th

I agree, it is ridiculous to go a third round with Gruden. What happens if his team starts slow again? Why would he be given more time than past HCs?

The best he did here was 8-8 after the 3rd season. Mayock admittedly the one who found Crosby and Koonce. Seeing how his drafts went at the top , the team would of bottom out eventually