Antonio Pierce named HC

NCOUGHMAN

Just now, bucksavage1 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/GrudJo0.htm

His offenses the 4 years he was here ranked :

Yards: 23rd, 11th , 8th, 11th

I agree, it is ridiculous to go a third round with Gruden. What happens if his team starts slow again? Why would he be given more time than past HCs?

The best he did here was 8-8 after the 3rd season. Mayock admittedly the one who found Crosby and Koonce. Seeing how his drafts went at the top , the team would of bottom out eventually 

Seeing the points per game is startling but it’s coming back to me. How many times did the team settle for FG’s in the red zone.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

This is fair.. 

If we're 500 and AP is rolling with Getsy then I'd want AP fired. If he changes OC in the next few games then it may be good enough to tell me he will adjust and learn from mistakes quickly. Most coaches hold 'their guys' too long because they don't want to admit they made a mistake. In the end we hired a GM and whatever Telsco decides I'm behind that. Mark said he fired the last guy because he didn't GM, he tried to please MickyD''s so...If you're a MAN then take charge. Mark hired you and if you aren't allowed to do your job then he can fire you. AP needs to fix the Offense and we were much better man than zone so...AOC you're up so props on trying something different AP. I hope we win because the AFC is horrible right now. 

Edited by G

2 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Leatherwood instead of Darrisaw was bad

Yeh, and it was so, so obvious. Also:

Ruggs over Ceedee Lamb 

Ferrell over Burns/Sweat/Allen

Arnette over Jaylon Johnson (my personal most infuriating)

Brandon Parker over Orlando Brown

Jonathan Abram in the 1st

Bowden over anyone

Muse in the 3rd round

• Like 3

20 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

It took Gruden 3 seasons to get to .500 (8-8) From A team that was one year out of the playoffs. 

For the money he was paid, that’s a disappointment

His DC choices were awful too. Paul Guenther 😂

No argument on the DC front, though Graham hasn't been a whole lot better either. Really wish we could bring Saleh on board. 

As for the results, we'll never really know. The first year or two, he was rebuilding the roster. Most of our guys from the playoff run were old and/or gone. 

2018 was a rebuilding year, and we went 4-12. 

2019 was year 2 and we saw pretty significant improvement as guys started to round into form, going 7-9. 

2020 we went 8-8. Not a ton of improvement, but we definitely became more competitive each year. Improvement gets less impressive as the team gets better. 

2021, we were 3-2 when he was kicked out. We went 10-7 overall, 7-5 with an interim HC with 2 of the losses being 1 score games. Gruden very well could've gotten to 12-5 or better. As much as I appreciate Bisaccia, he's nowhere near the HC Gruden is. 

Admittedly, 2021 can only be hypothetical. But year ove year improvement and an identity are what you look for from a HC when rebuilding, and we decidedly had both. 

Now, for what he was paid, sure, it's a bit disappointing. The contract was, frankly, stupid unless he took us to multiple Superbowls and won at least 2. Then again, it was a 10 year deal he only served a little over 3 years of, with drastic improvements. Another 7 years, who knows what would've been accomplished. But for what he did indeed do while he was here, I really can't say it was a major disappointment at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G said:

If we're 500 and AP is rolling with Getsy then I'd want AP fired. If he changes OC in the next few games then it may be good enough to tell me he will adjust and learn from mistakes quickly. Most coaches hold 'their guys' too long because they don't want to admit they made a mistake. In the end we hired a GM and whatever Telsco decides I'm behind that. Mark said he fired the last guy because he didn't GM, he tried to please MickyD''s so...If you're a MAN then take charge. Mark hired you and if you aren't allowed to do your job then he can fire you. AP needs to fix the Offense and we were much better man than zone so...AOC you're up so props on trying something different AP. I hope we win because the AFC is horrible right now. 

Does AP even have the power to fire a coach? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

Who are the top candidates this year? In no order and off the top of my head

OCs

• Ben Johnson, Lions 
  • Liam Coen, Bucs 
  • Ryan Grubbs, Seahawks 
  • Zac Robinson, Falcons 
  • Frank Smith, Dolphins 
  • Joe Brady, Bills
  • Bobby Slowik, Texans

Former HCs

• Mike Vrabel
  • Robert Saleh
  • Bill Belicheck
  • Jon Gruden
  • Doug Pederson, probably fired
  • Zac Taylor, maybe fired
  • Mike McCarthy, maybe fired
  • Brian Flores

Not saying all of those are good choices, but some I can see getting some buzz by end of year.

Honestly, my top 2 right now would be Johnson or Robinson. 

Johnson is the obvious top choice. Robinson, I wasn't high on initially, but the Falcons offense does seem to be settling in and getting pretty good all things considered. If the offense finishes strong, he deserves a look. My only concern with him is how he seems to be using certain guys right now (Pitts, Bijan). There's a lot of wasted potential there right now. How much is easing Kirk back in and good DCs realizing the Falcons have a learning curve to get through?

5 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

Gruden proved that he can build & design an offense - However I wouldn't want him as HC again.
But I would consider him as an adviser for hiring staff for the offense side, especially with an defensive minded HC like AP.

Yep. Exactly. 

I'm certainly not hoping for Gruden Part 3. He would do his thing and initiate a full rebuild, which we don't need. Coaching ability aside, he's also a clown show with toxic tendencies. 

I can appreciate what he did as HC and I'll even defend his record a bit as I think we were heading in a right direction. That said, I also supported the decision to fire him, and I haven't changed my mind on that. Frankly, what he was fired over, I don't care if he was winning 15+ games per year. It's totally separate from his performance. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Does AP even have the power to fire a coach? 

Probably not. He can likely remove him from playcalling duties though, in the unlikely event Telesco balked at a request to relieve him of employment though. 

Neither Telesco nor AP should be comfortable enough to get into any sort of power struggle out in the open like that though. My guess is if AP told Telesco that Getsy needed to go, Telesco would let him go. 

I don't think Telesco would fire someone against APs wishes, I don't think he would keep someone either. 

31 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Honestly, my top 2 right now would be Johnson or Robinson. 

Johnson is the obvious top choice. Robinson, I wasn't high on initially, but the Falcons offense does seem to be settling in and getting pretty good all things considered. If the offense finishes strong, he deserves a look. My only concern with him is how he seems to be using certain guys right now (Pitts, Bijan). There's a lot of wasted potential there right now. How much is easing Kirk back in and good DCs realizing the Falcons have a learning curve to get through?

Robinson was on my short list of OC's I liked last year. I think Bijan and Pitts especially are a bit overrated. 

Another reason I wasn't a fan of AP. You could get a better defensive HC like Raheem Moore from a better coaching tree and connections. Falcons played it right. 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

No argument on the DC front, though Graham hasn't been a whole lot better either. Really wish we could bring Saleh on board. 

As for the results, we'll never really know. The first year or two, he was rebuilding the roster. Most of our guys from the playoff run were old and/or gone. 

2018 was a rebuilding year, and we went 4-12. 

2019 was year 2 and we saw pretty significant improvement as guys started to round into form, going 7-9. 

2020 we went 8-8. Not a ton of improvement, but we definitely became more competitive each year. Improvement gets less impressive as the team gets better. 

2021, we were 3-2 when he was kicked out. We went 10-7 overall, 7-5 with an interim HC with 2 of the losses being 1 score games. Gruden very well could've gotten to 12-5 or better. As much as I appreciate Bisaccia, he's nowhere near the HC Gruden is. 

Admittedly, 2021 can only be hypothetical. But year ove year improvement and an identity are what you look for from a HC when rebuilding, and we decidedly had both. 

Now, for what he was paid, sure, it's a bit disappointing. The contract was, frankly, stupid unless he took us to multiple Superbowls and won at least 2. Then again, it was a 10 year deal he only served a little over 3 years of, with drastic improvements. Another 7 years, who knows what would've been accomplished. But for what he did indeed do while he was here, I really can't say it was a major disappointment at all. 

The trouble I feel was he was a good coach but his player acquisition was so poor that even with an identity, good scheme and good coaching we’d have ultimately struggled as he was picking kids like Arnette, Bowden, Leatherwood and Abram. You might catch lightning in a bottle one year maybe but you’re doomed to fail if you draft like that and add free agents like Cory Littleton, Maliek Collins, Jason Witten 😂, Tahir Whitehead, Trent Brown and the safety who played nickel for us (forgot his name) all the while making trades like Antonio Brown and The White Tiger. That is always going to be a ball and chain around your ankle.

• Like 2