Week 10: San Francisco 49ers at Jacksonville Jaguars

J-ALL-DAY

34 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I agree, there's less deception if you will, with his alignments and how he disguises his coverages.

I think we're seeing more man as a result of the pass-rush not getting home and him being reactive to QBs getting the ball out so quickly.

Our zone hasn't been as suffocating like it has in the past and not sure if that's on him or the players, as I've seen guys not being disciplined on tape.

It's a hodge-podge of alot of things going awry all at once imo.

Does that fall solely on the DC? Perhaps.

But alot of these players are whiffing on plays that they normally wouldn't.

I don't think it falls solely on the DC, as I think that foists the blame too far onto a single person or problem.  It is just where you start because of the affect he has on all the players around him.  Warner missing tackles isn't good.  Hufanga hasn't always been a sound tackler.  From my observations, last year he flew past a lot of dudes, this year dudes are flying past him.  

I am just not sure what Wilks is trying to do at this point.  If he is trying to run an interchangeable base man/base zone look, it is not working.  Any simple motions identifies the coverage, as well as a lot of other factors.  If I knew the basic strategy in the play calling, I would probably feel better about the direction of the team.  Even when the guys were playing poorly two years ago, I knew what they were trying to do. 

I feel like last year's zone we matched players and patterns with alignment, then the natural movement put our guys in position to succeed.  This year, our guys are covering the madden bubbles, and it is easy for QB's to motion their best WR into the slot, easily determine man or zone, then we have Puka Nakua, Cooper Kupp, Jamar Chase, or CeeDee Lamb isolated against Oliver.  Then on the D-line it is easier to double Hargrave and Bosa.  

One thing to consider is fatigue.  The guys being a little slow, sore, and tired certainly doesn't help.  Then again, if the team is on a stretch of low rest, running and chasing in man isn't going to help them avoid fatigue.

I am talking in circles a little bit at this point, and I am not ready to get rid of Wilks like in the game day thread.  I just want to see a couple of adjustments that let the guys play in the roles they are comfortable with.  I try not to over react, harp on individuals, use rhetoric, feeling words, or character attacks for football things, even when I stress on it a little.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think Jax is 8th in points against, so it'll be a tough task

Furthermore, no guarantee Williams plays as he is "real questionable." Not having Williams or Banks against that defense would be less than ideal. 

But if we are whole or close to whole, then this offense can put up 30+ points against any defense. We still rank very high on EPA per play but just have not converted in the opponents side of the field the last few games.

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

This quote is something haha 😂

I think that just looked worse than what he really meant lol. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Furthermore, no guarantee Williams plays as he is "real questionable." Not having Williams or Banks against that defense would be less than ideal. 

But if we are whole or close to whole, then this offense can put up 30+ points against any defense. We still rank very high on EPA per play but just have not converted in the opponents side of the field the last few games.

I think that just looked worse than what he really meant lol. 

It sounds like an accountability statement, and the player is always better off trusting his coach and doing the best they can with the play calls.  It doesn't sound like he was trying to say anything negative about Wilks, but people will have a field day with it.   If I could help Wilks by playing better, I wouldn't be here complaining online, lol. 

Drake Jackson put on IR with a knee issue, will miss at least 4 games 

He had already been seeing a reduction of snaps, now he's injured and may not even play again this season. 

Sucks but DE opposite Bosa has to be a top tier need in the offseason alongside OT & OG

At least we have Young, Gregory & Ferrell this season. Hopefully Beal gets activated soon and can provide a pass rush spark 

• Like 1

Almost feel bad for wilks. Pass rush not getting home, so many fans expecting big things from the chase young deal and they get a QB and passing offense that specializes in the short game with one of the fastest times to throw in the league lol 

Not really expecting the pass rush to appear functional 

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Almost feel bad for wilks. Pass rush not getting home, so many fans expecting big things from the chase young deal and they get a QB and passing offense that specializes in the short game with one of the fastest times to throw in the league lol 

Not really expecting the pass rush to appear functional 

Maybe Wilks can give us a long game look at the DBs playing press to disrupt initial routes. If it doesn't work out and we get burned for big plays downfield, then it can be his way of transferring personal responsibility by saying, "see? this is why I play these guys so far off." The speedier targets would receive the more frequent safety help over top. Evan Engram should never be seen wide open, thanks, Warner and Greeny. Get Trevor L rattled early. If he is starting out 10 of 10, then yup, here we go again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Maybe Wilks can give us a long game look at the DBs playing press to disrupt initial routes. If it doesn't work out and we get burned for big plays downfield, then it can be his way of transferring personal responsibility by saying, "see? this is why I play these guys so far off." The speedier targets would receive the more frequent safety help over top. Evan Engram should never be seen wide open, thanks, Warner and Greeny. Get Trevor L rattled early. If he is starting out 10 of 10, then yup, here we go again. 

Ryans used to do that thing where he lined up guys in press man, got quick hands on targets, then dropped into zone.  I'd like to see more of that rather than press man that looks like press man pre-snap.  

You can disguise press man/blitz formations then drop into zone, but you can't really show off man/zone and then go press post-snap. 

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1